25 Users
0 Likes
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Huh? Stil 1-0 here? :?

Posted : 22/04/2008 7:17 pm
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

nope. 1-1. Riise OG in THE LAST FIVE BLOODY SECONDS OF PLAY. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

The ref was sooo in Chelsea's pocket tonight and Drogba was a whiny little beeyatch. I can't believe the commentator described him as "tough and strong in the box" - HE WENT FLAILING ALL OVER THE GROUND IF A RED SHIRT WAS IN 4 METRES OF HIM!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

There is no god.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

Posted : 22/04/2008 8:00 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

There is no god.

There is, he (or she) just had a night off. He (or she) will be singing "You'll Never Walk Alone" next week, drinking Carlsberg and arranging some nice weather for Moscow in May.

And as for the ref....no comment (at least nothing that could be aired on a family forum) save to wonder if he borrowed his stop-watch off Fergie?

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 22/04/2008 8:43 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Huh? Stil 1-0 here? :?

I meant one point for Liverpool and one point for the Liverpool resident Scrybe.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 22/04/2008 8:44 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I can never tell if the SOCCER( :twisted: ) on our channel is live or recorded. They are showing Manchester City v Portsmouth at the moment. Sure would like to have been watching the one you are talking aboutl

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 22/04/2008 8:56 pm
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Football. Since the rules require contact with the ball to be made primarily with the feet. Surprisingly, there's even a rule preventing anyone (except the goalie) from using their hands or arms. Unlike that great american pastime, pansieball, which is a wussified form of rugby, but involving helmets, kevlar padding, and breaks every 20 seconds.

uh oh. and so the war begins.

Liverpool vs some really crap team from london who deserve not to be named

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

Posted : 22/04/2008 9:27 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Football = football. It's our game, we invented it so call it by its proper name. Like Scrybe said, it's played with the feet (mostly.)

American Football = Rugby (but without the rules and with some martial arts thrown in, plus motorcycle helmets plus inflatable suits.)

We've had this argument before, but I don't think anyone's quite put it as bluntly as Scrybe did.......

Oh and Geoo, the Man City/Portsmouth game was played Sunday afternoon.....

And hey, at least we've got Liverpool v Chelsea pt 2 to come next Wednesday.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 22/04/2008 9:48 pm
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

We've had this argument before, but I don't think anyone's quite put it as bluntly as Scrybe did.......

heh heh....at my college (yup, my uni was composed of lots of colleges), we had a lot of american students. great chaps and chicks, but I honed my sport-debating skills very well in that time.

my favourite part of pansieball is that they have a "kicker." some guy who's sole job it is to come on once a game (or so) and kick the ball. that's pretty much all he does. see, I don't get how a game can seriously be refferred to as 'football' when they have a player who is deignated as the kicker.

and don't even get me started on the other sports....naming a contest a 'world series' when the only participating teams all hail from america.....

at least the European Cup (as the European Championship was more illustrously (sp?) known) genuinely involved most of Europe (except any bits we were at war with at the time*).

* actually, they were usually still allowed to compete. major battles in such wars involved the 'firms' of clubs from opposing countries kicking the hell out of each other pre- and post-game. without kevlar.

j/p

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

Posted : 22/04/2008 9:59 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Um, yeah.. sorry. Some times I forget that sarcasim doesnt come across well. Here, I call it football and I am actually quite the fan even if I have to settle for cheering on FC Dallas and out MLS league. Which isnt bad.. but its not your football. I was kind of saying soccer in jest because our channel is call Fox Soccer Channel and I have always felt like if they were going to try to be serious about the sport then they should have called it Fox Football Channel. Although I guess that would confuse the masses here.

Dont get me wrong.. I love American football too.. but I prefer football football... so We are on the same team just to make it clear and I dont blame ya'll a bit for taking a little offense.

Apologise
Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 23/04/2008 12:29 am
(@mac-manc-mcmanx)
Estimable Member

John Arne Riise
I wanna know
How you scored that goal :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

When you wanna rock hard children, lean on F sharp

Posted : 23/04/2008 1:27 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

John Arne Riise
I wanna know
How you scored that goal :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Crosses MacMancMcManx off Xmas card list.............

Slightly different to his usual net-busting style, I will admit - also slightly different to the one he scored against Chelski in the Community Shield or the one he scored in the League Cup Final against Chelski or the one.....I could go on.

There's still the second leg to come - hmm, makes a change being the underdogs, after all weren't Arsenal going to trample all over Liverpool?

You can be sure of one thing - if Chelsea had scored in the 95th minute against Man Utd, they'd have had their backs to the wall for the next 15 minutes, or however long till the red-nosed one decided enough was enough or Man Utd scored another couple, probably from penalties given for offside against Chelsea....

Some teams do seem to have very sympathetic referees, don't they?

:D :D :D

Vic

Posted : 23/04/2008 1:52 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Alrighty, this is like the worlds greatest thread ever.....and I'm medicated enough to enjoy it.

Scrybe, I played American Football in High School. I also played an unorganized version of the sport as a young adult on Sunday mornings. Still American Football, but no padding at all. There are no comparisons between the two. Playing without pads as a full speed and full sized adult is insane. That's where I place Rugby. I can't even watch it.

Dogbite and GSS, I'm really impressed with your work. I'm an absolute retard with anything art related. The fact that I'm playing a musical instrument is something I never thought possible. Forget making something look good. Give me a database any day of the week. I've not written anything visible for years.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 23/04/2008 4:18 am
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

actually, if forced to choose, I'd much rather play US ****ball than rugby, largely on account of (a) it always raining when rugby is played and (b) everyone in rugby seemingly being pouring with blood whenever said game is played. also (c) I don't actually like rugby.

I just can't stand the "........football? oh, you mean soccer! football's something else....." response I've had from many an american over the years. It's just bloody illogical. and paradigmatic of all the stereotypes about americans that I usually find unjustified.

Gaelic Football, on the other hand.................. :shock:

And Jim, nah, I detected some sarcasm, I just chose to ignore it, heh heh. I'm always pretty tetchy after Liverpool games if they haven't gone as I'd hoped. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :wink:

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

Posted : 23/04/2008 6:57 am
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

ok. the game is over and Liverpool tied.
flame me all you want ...I find sports watching extremely tiresome. the ads, the next day talk, the 'intelligent' comments from sports players, the wierd excitment of the commentators,the over hyped testosterone, the sexification and down grading of females, the comparisons to war. god that all bores me to tears.
I love playing sports however.

so I guess I have to entertain a third part of the brain does indeed exist.

logic/ arts/ sports.

8)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 23/04/2008 10:50 am
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

Personally, I have never understood why we here in America call football football when the only time the ball is actually kicked is during a field goal or punt. I mean, who said "hey, let's call it football" and got other people to say "yeah, that's a great idea since we play it mostly with our big meaty hands!"?
Perhaps we were trying just to aggravate our English cousins, hee hee.

I prefer watching rugby to football/soccer anyway although it is hard to watch any rugby or football matches where I live without spending a ridiculous amount of money on some cable TV sports package that also includes a bunch of other random sports like curling or professional high speed basket weaving.

Baseball is my favorite sport, anyway so I just try to keep up with my Yankees via the interwebs. :)

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

Posted : 23/04/2008 4:41 pm
Page 4 / 7