Clear all

Who Honored By Kennedy Center

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

The 2008 Kennedy Center Honors will air December 30th on CBS in the States, and The Who are among the honorees. 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 28/12/2008 6:31 pm
(@steves)
Estimable Member

Isn't there something inherently wrong with The Who being honored by an institution like the Kennedy Center? Aren't they (or weren't they) rock 'n roll rebels? I know we're all growing older, but why do we need to grow up too! I live in the DC area and heard this was a really nice event, but it struck me as odd. I'm probably out on a limb here, but it just rubs me the wrong way. Daltrey and Townsend share the stage with Barbara Streisand? There was probably a time when these two acts didn't even want to be seen on the same continent as each other.

Steve

Posted : 30/12/2008 1:51 am
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I think it's pretty cool.

Yes The Who were the punks of our generation.....so what, didn't we all have a little punk in us back then?

Posted : 31/12/2008 12:19 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I think it's cool that The Who are being honored for influencing American culture. 8) And yes, I never thought I'd see the day that the Who would share the stage with Barbara Steisand, but then again, I never thought I'd see the day that Robert Plant went country either! :wink:
The show comes on in half an hour. I'll be watching. :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 31/12/2008 12:35 am
(@steves)
Estimable Member

Yeah, for all my rant, I'm set to record and watch it too.

Posted : 31/12/2008 12:40 am
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Heck, they let me both sing and act there. They'll let anybody in.

Posted : 31/12/2008 1:24 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I didn't know anything about the Kennedy Center, so had to look it up....yes, I suppose the Who were anti-establishment at one time, but they've been a pretty big influence on a lot of bands over the course of their career. Nice to see a British band honoured for their contribution to American culture!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 31/12/2008 2:04 am
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I didn't know anything about the Kennedy Center, so had to look it up....yes, I suppose the Who were anti-establishment at one time, but they've been a pretty big influence on a lot of bands over the course of their career. Nice to see a British band honoured for their contribution to American culture!

:D :D :D

Vic

Heck Vic, I didn't even know they were British untill about 1970 :oops:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 03/01/2009 4:50 am