Clear all

Xmas Day Almost Jam

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@hiram)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

We invited a neighborhood family for Xmas dinner to pay them back for Thanks giving dinner and their daughter who just got a mandolin and her daughter who is 18. The youngest who plays violin and piano had just been given a few years old Washburn 12 string by her dad, the strings looked rusted and old. I asked her if I could try it out and I played on it a little bit and WOW! I kept looking over my shoulder for the other guys with guitars. I can imagine how good it would sound with new strings and a setup.
There we sat two guitar newbie's, a mandolin newbie, talk about a roomfull wannabe's. Question, I know the chording is different on a mandolin but a C or G sounds just like my guitar C or G as best as I can make out Sooo will a song with chords be the same for a mandolin as a guitar as we wanted to practice a few songs together so we would have something to play at the next dinner we have, thanks.

Posted : 26/12/2006 4:37 pm
(@margaret)
Noble Member

I'm sorry I can't answer any of your questions Hiram, but it sounds like it was a fun time, with more of the same in the offing. Enjoy!

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 26/12/2006 5:51 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I know the mandolin's tuned differently to a guitar, but I should imagine if you're all playing the same chords it'd give a nice depth of texture....kind of like one guitar playing this.....

E A D G B E
3 2 0 0 0 3

and another playing this....

E---A---D--G--B--E
10 10 12 12 12 10

same chords, just played in different positions. A G major chord consists of the notes G, B and D....some one playing a G chord on a mandolin will be playing some combination of those notes...

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 26/12/2006 6:30 pm
(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member

That sounds like an awesome time! Nothing better then good company and good music (unless, of course, you add 'good food' to that list :wink:) As for the mandolin, it's not quite the same as a guitar. Where a guitar is tuned in fourths (the interval between neighboring strings...except that pesky b-string), a mandolin is tuned in fifths, like a violin. So, in fact, the violin player could probably show you a thing or two; maybe not chords, but at least some melodies. A lot of the chords for mandolin though are pretty easy though; many taking only a couple of fingers. Here's a decent chart with quite a few of them:
http://home.inreach.com/jsherida/katie/mandolin1.html

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those about to rock, we salute you!
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonwittenbach

Posted : 26/12/2006 11:23 pm