(@bish)
Famed Member

John, I sent you a PM.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 08/03/2006 4:57 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

If any one would like some practice mixing stuff i can send you files to a previous jam and you can mix them together....hmmmm... I think i will create a lesson that ya'll can download from one of my sound click sites :idea: --the dog

That's an awesome idea Smokindog! 8) 8) 8)

I know my part sounded alittle "off" with the backing track, but I know that's hard to do, and it's John's 1st time, and I think he did a great job overall. :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 08/03/2006 9:00 pm
(@lee-n)
Estimable Member

Keeping internet collaborations well timed can be tricky, the problem is different pc's and setups will not always use the same codecs, clock rate will always involve drift on non synchronised systems, mp3 algorythms will always have very slight differences in samples, add all this together with the fact that there are lots of conversions going back and forth and you end up with guaranteed timing drift.
On a long project this can become extremely hard work and will usually involve splitting the file and re-aligning in various places throughout the project.

These little 5 minute jams aren't a terrible problem but can certainly cause noticable timing problems, very audible especially if you do not have a lot of experience. With decent setups and everyone using the same software and project file with the ability to export timestamped audio this problem can be overcome but is obviously not very practical.

The way Smoking Dog does it is the probably the easiest way of doing it as you get something to line up as a reference. The low quality file (full track) that you send in gives you something to line up, by laying this track alongside the original backing track you can play the two together to make sure there is no drift between the two backing tracks just at the point the persons take is about to start.. if there is you line them up and then line the result with the take. Even if the two tracks are drifting, then for the length of the take they should stay close enough together to be un-noticable. You then do the same with each take.

Anyway.... good job everyone :cool:

I must get in on another one of these soon!

Lee

Posted : 08/03/2006 11:48 pm
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks Everybody but due some of the dissatisfaction
with this Jam I have decided to remove the MP3 for
now and retry this at a later date.

Once again Thank you all for the comments and
Thank you Guys for all your hard work.

I rushed things when I really should have slowed down
and given it a better effort.

It has been Fun and I would rather take it
down than have that stop.

I'll be back soon with something new.

Take Care

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

Posted : 09/03/2006 12:08 am
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I feel very bad as I'm sure all this is my fault. :oops:

I am sorry to everyone involved.

Please accept my apology. :(

Bish

Posted : 09/03/2006 3:18 am
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member
Topic starter

No apology necessary.

If anything I owe more that you, Bish and
feel bad if my mistakes cause any upset.

I've learned a great deal from this experience
and am truly sorry for any hurt I may have caused.

We can't change the past only learn from it and
move on.

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

Posted : 09/03/2006 6:10 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

John,

I was sorry to see that you removed the jam. I do hope you reconsider. This is a learning experience, and you did a fine job. (not sure if I tried, that I could do better.) Please think it over.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 09/03/2006 11:30 am
(@margaret)
Noble Member

I'm hoping it is a temporary situation only, and that John will be re-posting it some time in the near future. It's a great piece. :!:

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 09/03/2006 9:20 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

You'll be happy to know Riley Lives!!

Click here!

Bish

Posted : 12/03/2006 6:12 pm