Skip to content
Alright : A poll on...

Notifications
Clear all

Alright : A poll on the FIFA...who's gonna win !!!

187 Posts
23 Users
0 Likes
23.1 K Views
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

I have my club back!

Looking forward to the day I have my club back. :twisted:
I'd been checking the fan forums about once an hour for the last few days - I had a feeling he'd take the coward's exit before he was trounced in a boardroom :)

I had a feeling you might say that. He did seem to fall on his sword. I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did. I was at St Mary's the day Saints got relegated against United and the Saints fans were shoutiing for his head on a plate that day. He hasn't done a lot to win them over since. Hope the new owner brings you more luck. I have a bit of a soft spot for Saints. Don't know why after '76. :lol:

Look forward to seeing you back in the Premiership. I miss the banter in the office between the Saints and Pompey fans. :lol:

As for the England game. Well. Where do you start. I would love to be a fly on the wall the first day back for pre-season training at Carrington and see what the boy Wayne has got to say to Ronaldo. I'm looking to get tickets for the first game of the season at Old Trafford. It will be interesting to see the reception he gets from his own fans. :shock:

As for the rest of the game I think we've been there before have we not. Down to ten men, lost on penalties. We did seem to pick up our game when we went down a man. Valiant effort. We should be proud of our boys. Owen Hargreaves MOTM.

4-4-2 End of!!!

Back to some serious guitar practice now I guess. No excuse any more. :cry: :lol:

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

Bummer Brazil lost that sucks.... i guess i'm gonna have to support germany now.
Hope this sporting weekend does'nt go downhill completely... atleast Shumachers on pole at Indy there' hope yet.

Go Shumi!!!

Minus

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I have my club back!

Looking forward to the day I have my club back. :twisted:Who do people who live in nowhere support, then? :)
I'd been checking the fan forums about once an hour for the last few days - I had a feeling he'd take the coward's exit before he was trounced in a boardroom :)

I had a feeling you might say that. He did seem to fall on his sword. I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did. I was at St Mary's the day Saints got relegated against United and the Saints fans were shoutiing for his head on a plate that day. He hasn't done a lot to win them over since. Hope the new owner brings you more luck. I have a bit of a soft spot for Saints. Don't know why after '76. :lol:

'Cause we (used to, but will again) punch above our weight? :) Quite a lot of us have been wanting him out since before the relegation - we thought that the attitude sucks and would mess us up in the long term. (Gloat, gloat!)

Look forward to seeing you back in the Premiership. I miss the banter in the office between the Saints and Pompey fans. :lol:

As for the England game. Well. Where do you start. I would love to be a fly on the wall the first day back for pre-season training at Carrington and see what the boy Wayne has got to say to Ronaldo. I'm looking to get tickets for the first game of the season at Old Trafford. It will be interesting to see the reception he gets from his own fans. :shock:
Aye, they'll crusify him. I wouldn't be suprised if he puts in for a transfer - he's another one who can't live without his ego being stroked... I don't see him staying at a club where the fans don't chant his name.
As for the rest of the game I think we've been there before have we not. Down to ten men, lost on penalties. We did seem to pick up our game when we went down a man. Valiant effort. We should be proud of our boys. Owen Hargreaves MOTM.

4-4-2 End of!!!

Back to some serious guitar practice now I guess. No excuse any more. :cry: :lol:Aye. 4-4-2 is all it really needed. It wouldn't have got us all the way, but it would have got us past a frankly quite average Portugal. Some of the positioning shown up by overhead shots were so bad it was almost funny :/

Oh, and the fact that they beat us aside (they would have won anyway, I can admit that), Argentina are going to have to give up their crown as the most dirty cheating &*$£^&%£$^% team in the world. They were toppled quite spectacularly tonight.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

[Wow, Laz your predictions were right on. Bravo!! How about you weigh in on the next two matches? I thought you were crazy to say Brazil would lose to France - shows what I know. I see you're a fellow compatriot and soccer/football isn't so popular here but do you follow it? How are you at picking wins for other sports, have you thought about, though illegal, sports betting - you could even be like McConaughey in Two for the Money? I think Rooney got a red card not so much for what I agree to be not-so-bad of a push but because if you watch the play again, he deliberately raps his leg around behind him to spike the Portuguese guy with his cleats and just so happens to spike him in the groin. If the groin spiking was possibly just going to be a yellow, Rooney didn't help his cause by then pushing Ronaldo.

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

Owen Hargreaves MOTM.

Vic, Chords,
a bit quiet about that aren't we?
Or are you going to say even a rubbish player can have a lucky day?

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Yeah, he was pretty useful towards the end. Almost made up for the way he played at the start :wink:

BTW, he's not your cousin or something, is he? :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Rooney was crazy to push off Cristiano, although I thought it was only worth a Yellow.

I think the kick in the balls somewhat helped the ref make up his mind... ;)

Anyway: England had a very dissapointing tournement in my opinion (what the HECK was up with England's tactics?!), and Portugal played like they always do: a handfull of excellent players complemented by a bunch of smart rats. Kinda reminds me of Italy, and Greece during EC2004. Guess it's something mediteranean or something. ;)

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

As with the game itself, my picks are a combination of skill and luck.

Germany v Italy

France v Portugal

PS: from the tape shown here in the USA, it doesn't seem like the ref saw the nasty spiking. I think he reacted to the push, and perhaps what was said. And this was the same ref who through out Beckham in 1998. He seems to have a low tolerance for English hooligans.

PPS: Babydoclaz and Jacqui went to the England/Portugal game. They lamented that they didn't have good seats - 30 rows behind one of the goals. But then it came to pass that they were behind the CORRECT goal. They said the entire night was the best sports event that they've ever attended.

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

PS: from the tape shown here in the USA, it doesn't seem like the ref saw the nasty spiking. I think he reacted to the push, and perhaps what was said. And this was the same ref who through out Beckham in 1998. He seems to have a low tolerance for English hooligans.

Not so. The referee who sent Beckham off in 1998 was Kim Milton Nielson. We were playing argentina at the time so would not have had an argentinian referee.

The sad part of this whole incident is that if Rooney had taken a dive when he was being wrestled to the ground by 2 portuguese players England would have a free kick and Rooney would still have been on the pitch. Instead he tried to stay on his feet and paid the ultimate price. A sad refelction of the modern game.

The cheats are winning and FIFA seem powerless to stop it. Ask any Australian.

Fair play. FIFA you're having a laugh!!! :evil:

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Laz : Wow , that means half your family is in Germany enjoying the football :D !

So how come you didn't go with them...

I am sure they must have had a blast.If you told us earlier , i might have kept a very keen look on the crowd :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

The cheats are winning and FIFA seem powerless to stop it.

They ain't powerless but willless. Every modern sport uses modern technology to aid referees, you can't expect four dudes to be able to spot everything that happens in a match anymore. One simple rule that will both increase the pace of the game and make it more just: if someone appears offside, or an attacker makes a foul: let the play carry on, if the attackers score you check the videos if they don't you just let it go. It's easy, cheap and subtle.
The sad part of this whole incident is that if Rooney had taken a dive when he was being wrestled to the ground by 2 portuguese players England would have a free kick and Rooney would still have been on the pitch. Instead he tried to stay on his feet and paid the ultimate price. A sad refelction of the modern game.

Even if the ref didn't spot the kick he gave and hadn't given him the red card for either that or the push he'd be in even bigger trouble with the FIFA review commision. No matter how you put it, Rooney misbehaved and deservedly had to go. A terrible shame for the England squad but hardly comparable with the lameness of the Italy vs Australia penalty.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

The cheats are winning and FIFA seem powerless to stop it.

They ain't powerless but willless. Every modern sport uses modern technology to aid referees, you can't expect four dudes to be able to spot everything that happens in a match anymore. One simple rule that will both increase the pace of the game and make it more just: if someone appears offside, or an attacker makes a foul: let the play carry on, if the attackers score you check the videos if they don't you just let it go. It's easy, cheap and subtle.
Aye - they're all wearing headsets now anyway, the ref wouldn't even have to leave the pitch. The fourth official could do it, or bring in a fifth. We could even end the did the ball cross the line or not? arguments...

A friend of mine just sent me this... "In photos - England leave the World Cup http://shortlink.co.uk/9qy " :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I think , they should have third umpires (or referees ) and a TV umpire in football too , just as we have in Cricket , so that such controversies can be better sorted out with replays.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

What a match !

Italy was superb in all respects and did win.Can't wait to see tomorrow's one.

Thrilling , exciting , amazing :D

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I was at a local performer's gig, but we still had the footie on in the background - what a goal that first one was! best of the tournament so far :)

ReplyQuote
Page 11 / 13