Skip to content
Alright : A poll on...

Notifications
Clear all

Alright : A poll on the FIFA...who's gonna win !!!

187 Posts
23 Users
0 Likes
23.1 K Views
(@purple)
Reputable Member

Brazil just pulverised Ghana :D
Ghana played great but just couldn't score goals and Brazil could even if they were offsides for at least one of them.... I was routing for Ghana just because reigning champs Brazil needs #6 like the NY Yankees need #27 - Let someone else win already! Only 7 countries have ever won the world cup.
BTW, I just read that Figo's been cleared by FIFA to play against England - they've ruled that his booking was sufficient punishment. For a head-butt? I thought that was an automatic red card - which would have meant he would have been suspended....

I know what FIFA stands for, but only the second word is printable - incompetent! - in a family forum the rest of it would be all asterisks......

:D :D :D

Vic
I personally don't mind Figo being cleared, since, I am half portuguese and I am routing for Portugal. Even though they will probably lose to England with or with out Figo, if not because they get out played but because half their team already have a yellow card or red card going into the match. There were plenty of bad calls like why didn't Boulahrouz, I think it was, get a red card in the first ten minutes for spiking Cristiano Ronaldo in the leg and Deco got his second yellow card for wasting time but Cocu didn't get a card for throwing him on the ground? I am an American so my football/soccer knowledge is limited but I think they cleared Figo because the whole match was so heated and crazy on both sides that they are just going to let what happen stand and as if losing Costinha on a hand ball, losing Deco on a time wasting call, and having Ronaldo be hurt isn't painful enough - what more do you want?

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

...what more do you want?
Justice. Not just because they're playing us next either.
Okay Vic and others, which other utility player who plays regularly for one of the best teams in Europe and has masses of experience playing against top European opposition and hence most of the best players at the WC would you take instead of Hargreaves?
Any of our midfielders will do fine. Personally, I think that that experience against these players lessens any excuse he might have for playing that poorly.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

....and does calling Hargreaves a "utility player" simply mean he's useless in any position?

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member

I picked mexico just cuz I want them to win...:( but they have lost now...

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

The Quarter-Finals:

Germany v Argentina

Italy v Ukraine

England v Portugal

Brazil v France

Laz

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Laz , that means you are pitting Brazil for a loss ?

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

Well it's good to be proven wrong about football, seems it is just me and the sensible papaers who for some reason seem to like Hargreaves, maybe I'll get some new glasses for Saturday or just stick to watching a sport I can understand

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Wow Germany nailed Argentina.

So one of my two favourites is already to the semis...

Excitement :D

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

I'd play David James in midfield before I'd pick Hargreaves.....

Vic

That's not as daft as it sounds. I talked about this very thing at work only yesterday. Stuart Pearce brought on a substitute goalkeeper and took an out field player off (can't remember which one) and put David James up front. He did a better job than some of our current crop of Englands finest. Rooney could do with a partner up front and it's clear that Sven has no intention of giving young Walcott a chance so give why not give James the nod. :lol:

Nothing surprises me with Sven anymore. :roll:

Anyway. Big day today. Got pre-match nerves already.

Come on England.
8)

@ChordsandScales: What do you make of Rupert resigning? Good or bad.

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

@ChordsandScales: What do you make of Rupert resigning? Good or bad.
:mrgreen: :lol: 8) :D :mrgreen: :lol: 8) :D :mrgreen: :lol: 8) :D :mrgreen: :lol: 8) :D :mrgreen: :lol: 8) :D :mrgreen: :lol: 8) :D :mrgreen: :lol: 8) :D :mrgreen: :lol: 8) :D :mrgreen:! I have my club back!

I'd been checking the fan forums about once an hour for the last few days - I had a feeling he'd take the coward's exit before he was trounced in a boardroom :)

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

David James did not do better at all, he didn't score and we still lost!

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Where to start after that one? :cry:

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Wow Germany nailed Argentina.

Ummm, having to go through overtime and on to kicks from the mark is not usually considered "nailing" your opponent. Same for England/Portugal. No gloating for either side.

Rooney was crazy to push off Cristiano, although I thought it was only worth a Yellow.

One more to go...

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well Portugal's match was fantastic.I never saw their league matches and hence didn't know that they are that good.

And the Brazil is out...

They weren't playing their best at all.France just outplayed them in terms of ball possesion , shots on target etc.And Zidane is as cool as ever.Amazing.

Hard to say but Brazil weren't Brazil today.They didn't derserve a win and they didn't.

Now -

Portugal vs France

Italy vs Germany

And the final on 9th July.Lets hope the best time wins the cup of life. :D

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

And Laz , all your predictions for the quarter finals are right on target !

Was it calculated or simply based on favourites...

ReplyQuote
Page 10 / 13