An Ibanez I've never heard of...

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I'm looking for a new guitar- probably strat-ish; versative from heavier rock to blues and more classic rock.

And, going through the local guitar shops, I'd made up my mind on either a Squier (HSS Strat) or a Yamaha Pacifica.

Then I found this Ibanez- The shop owner says it's been on the wall so long he doesn't remember anything about it...but I love it. It's light purple (not my fave, but I don't have to look at it when it's in my hands.) totally strat looking with a white pickguard and a humbucker on the bridge, two singles. Maple neck. I've tried it out, and wow. No buzzing anywhere, which is weird to me, given that the action is so low that it takes the lightest touch on the fretboard. I was faster and cleaner on this the first time I played it that I am on any of my own guitars, which I practice every day. And it has a nice, clean, bright sound when clean, lots of sustain, but really screams and has easy harmonics on the bridge pickup. Want!

But here's the thing- I always thought of Ibanez as metal guitars; which isn't exactly what I want. I play some metal, but more of a lot of things. And as I have never heard of or seen this model before, I have no idea how good it will really be. I don't even know if it's a real Ibanez. (This is south America- anything could be counterfeit.)

And, it's nearly twice the price of the Squier. Half again the price of the Pacifica. Worth it if it's as good as it seems, but I want to be sure before I spend the rent.

So, anybody got some sort of an Ibanez HSS strat-lookin thing? I've been through their recent catalogues, and can't find anything like it...

Thanks,
Ande

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Maybe an older SA-series guitar?
http://www.imuso.co.uk/ProductDetail.asp?StockCode=EG01035

Or something in the lower-end GRX line?

If it has been on the wall so long the store owner doesn't know what it is, maybe you can negotiate aggressively on price.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

It is probably an Ibanez Blazer reissue from the 90's. Used they go for $200-300US. There is a 1982 original on Ebay now for $300. The key thing is this : Do you like the way it plays? Is it better than anything else available? If you like it, get it!

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Nooooo.........I always thought of Ibanez as shredders guitars, and I certainly wouldn't have valued their acoustic guitars. I now own an Ibanez acoustic and have played several electrics. While I can'thelp you out with figuring out what guitar this is, I can say from experience that a lot of Ibanez guitars are bloody brilliant at jazz, blues and classic rock.

If the guitar you tried feels good and sounds good when you play the stuff you play on it, go for it, I say. You'll be one step closer to an individual tone in the music you play, and the guitar sounds hot from your description, so don't worry about what preconceptions you had about the brand. A good guitar is whatever guitar you like best.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Can you call the shop and ask for the serial number and/or model number? Might be able to search and find something about it online using that.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Guys-

We're getting close- in case you can't tell, I kind of like the guitar. I am nervous, as you really never know what you're getting in Ecuador. (I have a $8 rolex that takes a small flashlight battery. Go figure.)

This thing sounds good, feels great, though. I was hoping (and you've helped a lot) to get an idea of whether the price was about cool. They say it's new, and it sure looks it. It just doesn't look like any particular model of Ibanez that I know. They're asking $276- this isn't a shop that usually negotiates on price, but they'll usually throw in something or other. (Gig bag, strings, and a stand?)

It's cheap for what seems like a real quality guitar- beats the squiers and pacificas hands down, and I like the feel better than some real american strats in the same shop. But, where I live, that price is still, um, 3 months rent. So I don't want to impulse buy.

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

FOund it, I think. It's a GRX40, presumed (based on the color) to have been in Indonesia or China.

The one in the shop has a much lighter colored fretboard, though- can this be variation in the same wood, or is something odd?

Anyway, it looks more or less like this: http://www.ibanez.com/parts/2004_PARTS/el_guitar/spec/GRX40NM.html

Doesn't exactly sound like $276 is the bargain of the year, but...imports are always expensive here.

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Fretboard wood colors can vary. You'd probably want to put some fretboard oil on the fretboard anyway, which will darken the look of it. Definitely get a gig bag thrown in, extra pack of strings, a strap, some picks, try to get that fretboard oil, maybe a guitar chord.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys-

I'm not going to rush on this one, but I'm due a salary bonus for the end of this month. (An ibanez sized bonus, and probably enough to get a Roland cube to play it through.)

I've been investigating, and have now played virtually every Ibanez in every shop in town. I thought the neck/action on "mine" was incredible- but it seems pretty standard. DOn't know why I didn't investigate Ibanez more, sooner. As a brand, they seem to have the lowest action I've ever experienced without buzz problems. Tone and sound vary a LOT, but they seem to have universally low, comfortable (to me) necks.

Weird question- I've never had a guitar with only one tone control before; how does that work? Is it general, and controls whichever pickup/s you're on, or is it only for one of them, like on my current axe? I wouldn't say I play well, but I play a lot, and enjoy variety- in a night's practice, I probably use every pickup combination possible on my current stratocopy (3 singles, 5 position switch.) I play on the bridge (heavy lead, or, with different tone, tinny classic rock) the neck (bright, jazzy at one end of the tone spectrum, heavy rhythm stuff at the other) and using the middle pickup with both for even more fun. Obviously, as soon as I get a chance, I'm back to the shop to play the thing, and really put it through its paces. BUt what do y'all think? Will one tone nob be enough?

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

There are a few Ibanez owners around these parts. I think one universal praise we all have for them is the neck. It just seems to be an easy guitar to play. I've got a GAX-70. I think it was $190 when I bought it. Nothing fancy, but it was a big jump in playability. It has two tone controls on it though, so I cannot answer your question. I do believe, though, that the one tone control works for whatever pickup you've selected.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

It seems logical to assume that the one tone control, like the one volume control, will have been wired up so that it affects the signal coming from wichever pickup combination is selected, with the signal then going to the volume pot and out of the guitar to amp (or just straght out of the guitar). That said, people (guitar makers included) aren't always known for logic, so test it in the shop.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote