Skip to content
An particular opini...

Notifications
Clear all

An particular opinion on Manuel Rodriguez classical guitars?

14 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@smcclure)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I've been playing for about a year and just started taking lessons. My instructor is mainly classical and really recommends having a classical guitar. I have a Fender steel string acoustic but I do really like the sound of the nylon plus my favorite GuitarNoise lessons are the chord melody and fingerstyle lessons so that seems like a reasonable direction. So I'm looking for a decent classical probably sub $500. Some of the recommendations I seen are Pavan, Alhambra, Cordoba, Lucida Artista. Does anyone have any pro or con information on Manuel Rogriguez classisals, like the C1 or C3? So far I haven't even had time to venture to Guitar Center or the other two non-chain stores around Atlanta to test them. Though at my level I don't know that I can really tell the difference between them.

Thanks for any input.

____
Steve

(@97reb)
Noble Member

I do not have any tips on this, but would also love to have information on this also. I would really like to get a classical guitar and I know of a local teacher who has been playing for some thirty years and from what I remember was a great teacher 22 years ago. I would find it quite enlightening to take some classical lessons.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@smcclure)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I do not have any tips on this, but would also love to have information on this also. I would really like to get a classical guitar and I know of a local teacher who has been playing for some thirty years and from what I remember was a great teacher 22 years ago. I would find it quite enlightening to take some classical lessons.

Is classical your main interest? I'm kind of a folky, 70s acoustic rock, traditional type but I do like classical. This teacher is very close to my office and given my kids activity schedule that is about the only way I could take lessons. I thought if nothing else, that I would at least learn more theory, develop timing skills, fix bad habits I've developed, etc. At least the physical skills would/should(?) transfer to playing other fingerstyle pieces too.

Of course, when my instructor plays something it sounds so wonderful that I think being able to play sing-a-longs isn't the top of my priority list anymore. :)

____
Steve

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

I don't have any personal experience with Rodriguez, but I'll ask around.

I can tell you that in your price range, you might want to give La Patrie a look over (that is, if there are any in your area). They are made by LaSiDo, a Canadian company who also make Godins, Seagulls and other brands and La Patrie is their classical line. I've read many good reviews of them and my two students who had them had excellent guitars for the price (at the time about $300).

Hope this helps and I'll try to hunt down more info for you.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@smcclure)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I don't have any personal experience with Rodriguez, but I'll ask around.

I can tell you that in your price range, you might want to give La Patrie a look over (that is, if there are any in your area). They are made by LaSiDo, a Canadian company who also make Godins, Seagulls and other brands and La Patrie is their classical line. I've read many good reviews of them and my two students who had them had excellent guitars for the price (at the time about $300).

Hope this helps and I'll try to hunt down more info for you.

Peace

Good point, I had seen good recommendations for them too in this range and forgot to list them. Thanks David.

____
Steve

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

My main interest is metal. I would just take the theory and learn some on a classical guitar, then adapt the knowledge for an electric. I am sure I have learned some bad habits over the years, but then to some, bad habits are a part of their style. I feel I have decent form, I just need more structure in my learning. And I do have an intense passion for learning more about music and guitar. Knowledge is power and practice makes perfect. Practice your powerful knowledge and you should become at least a decent guitarist :wink: maybe more.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

So far as the "Manuel"s are concerned, check out Manuel Contreras - I played a M6 model in Madrid a few weeks back. It sang all the way down the neck and the company Amex card was just burning a hole in my pocket....

EUR 230 plus case, local tax and shipping. Drool

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Jeez, there Alan, How do you write that expense off on your company account? Do you have to pay that off, or are there loopholes in your account?

ReplyQuote
(@smcclure)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

So far as the "Manuel"s are concerned, check out Manuel Contreras - I played a M6 model in Madrid a few weeks back. It sang all the way down the neck and the company Amex card was just burning a hole in my pocket....

EUR 230 plus case, local tax and shipping. Drool

Best,

Interesting, the only thing google turned up for me were some models in the $2-3K range.

____
Steve

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Seen some models as low as $1200 in various catalogues (list prices of course being in the $2,000 and up range). Depending on currency exchange and shipping rates, it might be better to take a trip to Madrid! :wink: Or get a GN person over the Atlantic to buy one for you.

Peace

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

If you wish I could make some "local" investigation for you 8)

Some stores send gear to other countries, maybe they have this brand and send it directly to you but the brand is distributed also in USA.

http://www.triodos.es/es/who_we_finance/culture_and_welfare/projects/135186?lang=

(I don't know if this link can help... http://www.google.com/language_tools )

Edit: The link through Google Traslate was broken.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Jeez, there Alan, How do you write that expense off on your company account? Do you have to pay that off, or are there loopholes in your account?

Luckily, common sense got the better of me - four Classical Guitars in the house already, along with my stage kit and and and...

I'm sure my boss would have passed it, he plays guitar too. Human Resources might have balked when they got the invoices though. Now, if I could disguise it as a Client Visit.......

Best,

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@smcclure)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I've been playing for about a year and just started taking lessons. My instructor is mainly classical and really recommends having a classical guitar. I have a Fender steel string acoustic but I do really like the sound of the nylon plus my favorite GuitarNoise lessons are the chord melody and fingerstyle lessons so that seems like a reasonable direction. So I'm looking for a decent classical probably sub $500. Some of the recommendations I seen are Pavan, Alhambra, Cordoba, Lucida Artista. Does anyone have any pro or con information on Manuel Rogriguez classisals, like the C1 or C3? So far I haven't even had time to venture to Guitar Center or the other two non-chain stores around Atlanta to test them. Though at my level I don't know that I can really tell the difference between them.

Thanks for any input.

After trying a La Patrie Presentation, Alvarez Yaira Cy116 (used), Lucida Artisa 715, Alhambra 4P (cedar), and Alhambra Iberia (Spruce), Almansa 434 (cedar and rosewood) I had settled on the Alhambra Iberia, although I really wanted to favor the rosewood Almansa. The shop owner was incredibly patience and giving of his time. He spent over an hour and a half with me over two days really trying to teach me what to listen for and how to listen. Pointing out the differences etc. I went back tonight and gave a Prucendio Saez G-6 a second look and listen. It was visually much more appealing to me, cedar and walnut, and was a little more "refined" than the Iberia. Still had the great treble but a little better base. I spent more money that I really wanted to but I'll play it every day and it sounds wonderful. Hopefully I'll soon be able to make music with it that will make it worthwhile.

Anyone who is in the market for a guitar I would hardily recommend the shop that I purchased from. I'm not sure what the rules are about that type of thing so I won't name it here but will be glad to give you name if you request it.

Thank you, I appreciate all the input from everyone,
Steve

____
Steve

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Steve, IMHO you have selected the best choice. Some of my friends recommend to me that buy my new guitar by web, in German sites which are cheaper than the Spanish stores, but I prefer "feel the guitar". As I read in other posts: "everybody loves his/her guitar, therefore, everybody gives it a 10/10". IMHO (again) here the reviews have a limited validity.

Probably, the most used classical guitar here (Spain) for semi-professional people is the Alhambra. It is a very good brand and they make very good guitars. I never hear about Prudencio Saez, it seems a family firm that builds guitars from 1963 and now is at the third generation. If you like the Prudencio Saez, go ahead, I'm sure it will be a very good guitar as well!

Nuno

ReplyQuote