Clear all

Boss DS-1 or DS2 Turbo

17 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

OK, I know this was supposed to go in From Here to There or Opinions, but more folks will see and respond here. :D

I have been looking for a "distortion" pedal, not overdrive. I use a Behringer TO800 Vintage Tube Overdrive and Marshall Guv'nor Plus II Overdrive right now and like both, but I want something a little higher gain and edgier. I am not looking for outrageous Metal type gain however, and not looking for Fuzz type tones either.

I have been listening to clips of the Boss DS-1 on YouTube and I like the way this pedal sounds. It is plenty heavy, but not overboard. I also listened to the DS-2 Turbo Distortion and like the idea of the 2 modes. I like that you can buy the additional footswitch that switches between them. The 2nd mode is great for solos, the 1st mode is great for a rhythm sound, so I like this option.

I love the price of the DS-1 ($39), I am the Master of Cheap. The DS-2 with the optional footswitch would run a little over $100, I am trying to spend as little as possible, Christmas coming and all. :D

Anyway, the question is, do any of you here own either of these pedals? What do you like and dislike about each?

Thanks in advance

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Wes,

Hey buddy I have a DS-1 which I use occationally and as you know my tone sucks. If you ever want to come by and borrow it for awhile before you buy it feel free to stop by.

I still searching for my tone and just recently I've been messing around with some of the pedals you gave me. Still haven't come close to any sound that I like but I'm trying.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

DS-1, indeed it's cheap, especially if bought used, and also it's easy and cheap to mod. It can be fizzy (mods help) ... and the tone knob is of limited use (most people seem to leave it between 9:30 and 10:30.) Compared to a Guv'nor, the DS-1 has a thinner sound. On the other hand, I thought the Guv'nor had somewhat muddy low end, and the DS-1 is tighter... did I mention that it's easy and cheap to mod? Here's a clip of a DS1 with the Monte Allums "rectifier" mod: http://www.monteallums.com/mp3s/DS1R.mp3

The DS2, on the other hand, is more difficult to mod. The basic sound is that of the DS-1 though.

If you're thinking about DS2 + footswitch for $100, you should probably look at the Vox Satchurator instead, for just a little more.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i have a ds-1, and i don't really like it that much. it's a little too thin on most of the settings, and there's a very steep dropoff from growly to just a muddy tone suck, and it doesn't ever really roar. you can dial in a few decent sounds, but it's far from a dream pedal. the sound is always very digital and synthetic. it's never really like you're opening up a throttle, which is what i am personally aiming for.
they're really cheap, though, like mentioned before. i doubt anyone except behringer or danelectro or some no name company goes cheaper.
they make a decent volume boost, which is the big use i got out of it through a decent amp. and they're ubiquitous enough that people will be familiar with the sound... i guess i'd give it 3/10 value for a 2/10 price.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I would have to agree with everyone else that the DS-1 sound is on the thin side.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

My 75cent, 3-minute DS-1 mod: swap clipping diode D5 for a 3mm LED. Opens up nicely, more of a throaty growl, definitely more bottom end. It's still a little fizzy at higher gain settings and the tone knob is still of limited use, but this one change makes a nice dif.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

slej,

I'd be interested in trying that can you tell me exactly where you bought the 3mm LED. Is there a specific type etc? I have no clue about this stuff although i could probably tackle the mod on my own.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Got it in the parts bin at Radio Shack; it's a 3mm red LED (or you can use yellow - I don't know if the color matters but those are the only two I've heard people use.) $1.50 for a two-pack, I think. If you have broken kids toys sometimes you can salvage usable parts from those ... :lol:

You'll want some desoldering braid too, if you don't have it. (I assume you have a soldering iron. :wink: )

Here's the board:

You can see D5 right there just above center. Note that the diode is directional; the negative (shorter-leg) side of the LED would go where the black banded side of the diode is. Use a multimeter if you're not sure.

Test it before putting it back together; the LED should light up when signal is run through it. Basically, this is a stripped-down super-simple version of the Keeley "seeing eye" mod.

Tons of other possible DS-1 mods:
http://www.robertkeeley.com/audio6l6/dstech.html
http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2008/Feb/Boss_DS_1_Mods.aspx

(Sorry for derailing the thread, Wes.)

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

What the mod does (as far as I can tell) is to change the voltage at which the clipping starts to happen.

A standard silicon diode has a 0.7V drop across it (which is probably what the stock part is).
Red LEDs drop about 1.7 - 1.9 volts (depending on type), yellow and orange are 2 volts. Green is 2.1 and the blue or white ones can be as high as 3.5 - 4V.

The difference in colour of LEDs is due to the silicone being manufactured differently to change the wavelength of the light. That difference also affects the voltage drop (and other electrical characteristics) of the LED.
High efficiency and high output LEDs also have different characteristics than the "standard" ones, though for this application there's no need to use those more expensive types.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the responses. I really enjoyed that Monte Allums mod, that sounded great.

I think I will go with the DS-1. I've listened to quite a few clips and I like the way this pedal sounds. It sounds like you can get some nice tight crunch tones which I love, and then get a little higher gain distortion as well. I am not into over-the-top distortion anyway.

And you are right about the Guv'nor, it has a lot of low end to it. I usually keep Lows below 1/2 and do not use the ultra-low or whatever you call it at all. It will indeed muddy up your sound and make your speakers boom too, not a sound I like. I do not use the Guv'nor that much, but it is good to get a realistic Marshall amp crunch tone. But my Behringer can get that tone too and just plain sounds better, I use it WAY more than the Guv'nor. People make fun of Behringer, but the TO800 is an excellent overdrive. The Guv'nor likes to feedback at higher settings too, the Behringer does not.

Chris, yeah, we've got to get together again. How is your band doing? I am tempted to ask the guys if you can come try-out with us. We have practice this Friday and I'm going to talk to them. Let me know when your next practice is and I'll try to come out.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@fibaz)
Eminent Member

I recently picked up a DS-2 turbo at a music shop for 30 bucks used. I can't complain too much about it, it gives a decent edge. I find myself in the turbo mode a lot. I was going to go for a DS-1 but as far as I can tell there isn't much difference out of turbo mode of the DS-2 and the DS-1 that a buddy owns. If you happen to come across a DS-2 before a DS-1 for a decent price go ahead and try it out.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Wes,

We are doing pretty good. We have close to 15-18 songs now some better than others. We practice every Friday and we are trying to set up a second day.

I appreciate the offer but as of right now between work and everything else it would be impossible to commit to anything else right now, but I would like you to come by some time and critique us.

The other guitar player is singing right now and he's not to bad although we need a singer at some point.

We did have a drummer who's been playing for years come by a week or so ago and listen to us. he said we sounded good (not sure if he would have said anything bad anyway even if we suxed) but he did say something that you've mentioned before and that's dynamics and bringing the sound down especially during the singing of verses.

We are too loud most of the time and the other guitar player always plays too loud and so I end up cranking it up and pretty soon we get out of control.

If you guys practice on Fridays that might be difficult for you to come by and hear us but our drummer is a trucker who's usually gone most of the week so he wants to practice on Saturdays or Sunday's too. I'll let you know this way you can take the DS-1 if you come by.

If you weren't practicing tomorrow I'd say it would be a good day since I think we will ahev a more casual practice since it's Halloween.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Wes: i'd go with the DS1. It's basic, it works and it's cheap. How it sounds will depend very much on the amp, I've found it sounding incredibly thin and nasty on a big Peavey transistor amp but it sounded great to the JCM800 standing next to it. Keep an eye on the toneknob, above 30-clock or some such your ears will split. :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Wes, if you are going with the DS-1 you should definitely look into modding the pedal. Here is a kit online that runs about $20:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Boss-DS-1-Keeley-Ultra-Seeing-Eye-Mod-Kit-with-knobs_W0QQitemZ140278489062QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item140278489062&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

In addition, I know a guy who mods these all the time and could probably get you a modded pedal for around $60.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Wes,

I just picked up a DS-1 off of the Swap Meet forum from Ph0nage, and it was already modded with the Monte Allums rectifier mod. Sweetness! 8) It sounds to me like the mids & bass are boosted a bit, and the distortion is smoother. With the three-way switch they install under the tone knob, you can dial in some sweet tones. :D I definitely recommend this mod.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2