Notifications
Clear all

Boy, I blew it

32 Posts
24 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Wes said: "I do not have a lot of extra money and am not willing to shell out the big bucks to see modern bands, but BB King is different."

I'm in the same boat - however, last year when I came into some money, I was quite willing to fork out for two flights to Amsterdam and a couple of nights in a luxury hotel to watch John Fogerty - was the nearest he got to England!

As ill-luck would have it, we managed to get tickets, they were held at the box office for us - and were sold on half an hour before the time we arrived!!! (We were well inside the deadline, too!!!) After kicking up a fuss and creating a scene and lots of unpleasantness, we managed to get our money back and a little extra by way of compensation...but I still haven't seen John Fogerty!!!!

His last CD, Deja Vu all over again, was excellent - more mellow than classic CCR, a bit more country in feel, but still - a couple of tracks on there really rocked, especially "Wicked Ol' Witch" - a real throwback to CCR!!!

He's still at the top of my list of people to see, along with the Stones - I have tickets to see them in Sheffield, YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!

BB's pretty near the top as well, I hope he gets a chance to come to England again - I tell you, he'd pack any venue out 3 times over, he's well-loved over here! Who wouldn't fork out to see the KING?

Teleplayer posted yesterday re Bonnie Raitt - have to wait till Monday (payday!) to order those tickets.....

Other people I'd love to see?

George Thorogood - saw him years ago, puts on a great live show.....
ZZ Top - haven't heard anything from them for years....they still together?
Jimmy Page - whoever he toured with....
U2 - Saw them in the 80's, they were brilliant then, the word is, they're even better now....
Deep Purple - I read somewhere the classic line up (Gillan, Blackmore, Glover, Lord & Paice) were considering reforming for touring & a new album....anyone else heard about this?

and of course....

Status Quo - YET again - the good news is, Rick Parfitt's "growths" (on his vocal chords) have been diagnosed as non-malignant, the latest word is a 4-month break and the lads are back on the road....and I'll be there if it is humanly possible....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@aroundtheclaxon)
Estimable Member

problem is no one will be at foxwoods tonight..........the Pats are on!!

Head Arcitech at Vandelay Instudries

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, Vic, ZZ Top's still around. Saw 'em a couple of years ago, they still rock as well as ever.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

Friends let you down. Yeah, blame them. Tell them they should also buy your next ticket to pay you back.

Ungrateful ingrates. I tell ya, what's this world coming to? :x

:D :D

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@savage)

Other people I'd love to see?

George Thorogood - saw him years ago, puts on a great live show.....
ZZ Top - haven't heard anything from them for years....they still together?
Jimmy Page - whoever he toured with....
U2 - Saw them in the 80's, they were brilliant then, the word is, they're even better now....
Deep Purple - I read somewhere the classic line up (Gillan, Blackmore, Glover, Lord & Paice) were considering reforming for touring & a new album....anyone else heard about this?

If I am not mistaken did Jimmy Page not pass away a month or so ago?

Andy P.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

If he did, I missed hearing about it.

ReplyQuote
(@ginger)
Reputable Member

OH man BB KING. I'm sorry you missed out. I have never seen him play live before either and may never get to. But I am a fan of his music. He can really make a guitar sing can't he?

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

As for Jimmy Page: https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20170 8)

ReplyQuote
(@savage)

Ah, glad to hear it was only a rumor. I don't know who started it, but that shows how innacurate word of mouth can be.

Andy P.

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

I'll be seeing him next month here in Denver. I've seen him several times in the past, but you got to figure, The guys is 80, he has diabetes and is at least a hundred pounds overweight. How much longer can he be around?
As for ZZ, saw them last Summer they still KICK it

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I saw him here last year -- also a small venue. It was a great evening. And it's a traditional Blues show with the band intro and the conversation in between numbers. If it's any comfort, he sells out almost immediately. Springfield had been trying to get him for years and tickets went very quickly. I felt very luck to get to see him.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I felt the same way that Wes felt last year. BB came to OKC and I missed him.

BUT.....

Cha Ching.. I checked the website today and he is coming next month to Oklahoma. Its about hour and half away but I'll just get me a hotel room too I think.

I am so excited.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

Wes i feel you man, if it wasn't for a friend that gave me the heads up on metallica coming to SA i would'nt have gotten tickets either.
I remember missing another band in "05, the night of the show i was sick knowing i'm at home while they're playing about 3 hours from me.
If this had to happen with Metallica, Suicidal Tendencies would have taken over at that point.

I called our booking company here and they told me all GoldenCircle Tickets had been sold out. I felt like i was gonna be sick. After lots of pleading i left my number and about 5 min later they called back saying we have 2 GC tickets for you :)

i felt like a million bucks right there!!.

I'm still aiming to fly over to the US either this year or next year to see them in their home country.

Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Vic

Well, I guess I can't complain too much. I did see Led Zeppelin, still remember the date, it was May 7, 1973 at Jacksonville, Fla. That was the tour they were filming for the Song Remains the Same movie. I don't think they used any footage from Jax, but they were wearing the same outfits in the movie as when I saw them live.

Believe it or not, I was a little disappointed with LZ. The music was very sparse compared to their albums, primarily because John Paul Jones was either playing the organ or bass. So when he played keyboards, the bottom seemed to drop out. But it was still a great show. Jimmy Page was great, but he was faking it at times. He would play super fast, millions of notes, but not too musical. At one point he threw his guitar down and stomped on it. It just made this big bang.

But I am not putting them down. I was really impressed with John Paul Jones on keyboards. That guy can play. And of course Bonham was awesome on drums. It was a good show.

And I saw Deep Purple three different times. This was the original lineup in the early 70's. They were great, but man were they loud. Deafening.

But still, I would just have liked to hear how sweet BB played live. I know it's got to be great.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

i am instantly attracted to this thread because someone mentioned U2...

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3