Clear all

Breedlove AC25 SR Plus vs AC25 SR

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@sam334)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I went into Guitar Center and really enjoyed playing a Breedlove Atlas AC25 SR Plus a few weeks ago. However, I wasn't a big fan of the too shiny decorative binding:

http://tinyurl.com/yx6e9z

Anyhow, I went home and found the regular AC25SR on GC's website and took a trip to GC this afternoon since I was in the area. I was helped by a very nice girl went I went in the first time who was really informative with care tips and which guitars to stay away from (she recommended I stay away from the low end Martin I had been looking at since she claimed they had seen the binding come apart after a few months). So I went in and asked if they had the regular AC25 SR which didn't have the Notorious B.I.G bling on it. He claimed that it would be a custom guitar and proceeded to look at me like I was an alien. I didn't think of telling him that I saw it on their website... so I walked about a bit grumpy about the salesman. Now, my question (finally, hehe).

Is it safe to assume that the AC25 SR ( http://tinyurl.com/yyqagq ) will sound identical (or at least somewhat) like the SR Plus? After all, isn't the only difference an aesthetic one? I may be relegated to ordering the guitar online since they don't have it in the store. I'm a bit apprehensive since I may have to return the guitar and absorb the shipping cost myself if I'm not satisfied with the sound.....

Thank in advance for any info :D

(@quarterfront)
Reputable Member

Not that I really know beans about what I'm talking about here, but I'll chime in just on account of I just bought a Breedlove myself, as it happens, yesterday.

That edge trim can't have anything to do with the way the guitar sounds in any substantial way. Okay, maybe there's some subtle difference, but us mere mortals don't have the kind of ears needed to hear that. Probably, like, master luthiers and owls can hear that stuff.

From what I've read the mechanical design of their guitars employs some simple, elegent and innovative engineering.

My understanding is that Breedloves are pretty consistant. I played three of them and my experience tends to bear that out. I played some Martins, Taylors, Epiphones, Parkwoods, Ibanez's, Fenders, looking at guitars in a price range between about $500 and $800 and settled on a Breedlove because it sounded and felt the best; in fact, the three Breedloves I played ALL sounded better than any of the other guitars I tried.

In the end I bought a $500 Atlas AD200/SM. It's the bottom of the line model, simple and straight forward, laminate back and sides but with a nice solid spruce top and a neck and action that feel great. It's a really nice guitar and I feel like I got a great deal.

ReplyQuote
(@washburnt)

I bought an AC25/SR for the very same reason. I figured why spend an extra c note for bling. I have no regrets, it sounds beautiful and I'm fairly certain it's the exact same guitar, just a little plainer. I get plenty of compliments on the sound and playability.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Well if you don't know how to tune a guitar, then the Plus' built-in tuner might make a big difference in your sound ... LOL.

No, they are all cosmetic differences other than the tuner and different cases.

What's surprising is how different the mahogany-backed AC25/SM sounds. I've read before that it's mainly the top wood that affects tone, with the back and sides having only a marginal effect. Not true! These guitars are very different tonally! I wanted to buy both ... but went with the midrangey punch of the mahoney. The SR has more of a scooped tone - brighter at the high end, a bit more oomph in the bass. Equally good, just not what I was looking for.

But the salespeople really push the Plus model!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote