Clear all

Buying a new amp

10 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@jesus-of-suburbia)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I am starting a band and hopfully going to play small gigs my current amp the Marshall Mg 15fx 40watt is ok but gives off too much feed back with if it has a heavy destortion on and i dont really want to be going easy on effects as i want to be playing hard rock,rock,metal, with some gentle acoustics and blues with some psychidelic solo style like jimi hendrix

So im saving up to buy a new amp and i have my eye on the Vox NT50H NightTrain 50 Head as it sounds good but i havent really used amp heads before and needed some questions asked

If im playing small gigs is the amp head enough or do i need the vox speaker cabinet with it?

and

If that the case that the cabinets a must would it be possible to keep the 50 nighttrain head but with a smaller cabinet or do i have to match the cabinet size with the head size?

I would like any form of advice that you have like going smaller on the vox amp head or even getting a different amp completly.

P.s I would like a tube amp if you do have better suggestions

(@alangreen)

The head is just an amplifier; it doesn't come with any speakers - you have to buy those separately.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@jesus-of-suburbia)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I know im aware of the machanic of the head and cabinet marraige i dont need anything techniquall i've done research but the one thing dosent get ansewered is if the amp head alone is loud enough to play the a full gig or do i need the cabinet. im aware that i buy them seperatly otheirwise i wouldnt be asking do i have too get it ?

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

i havent really used amp heads before and needed some questions asked
If im playing small gigs is the amp head enough or do i need the vox speaker cabinet with it?

and

If that the case that the cabinets a must would it be possible to keep the 50 nighttrain head but with a smaller cabinet or do i have to match the cabinet size with the head size?

You might want to do a bit of boning up on the basics of tube amps. Things like Watts, Power, and Ohms will have a direct effect on what you decide to buy.

You need a speaker cab with a head. Heads don't have speakers at all.

You need to match the power handling and load handling of the cabinet to the head. That Vox puts out 50 watts of power into an 8 or 16 ohm load. You don't have to use the Vox cab, but you do need a cab that will handle a minimum of 50 watts, and preferably one that will handle more. You will also need a cab rated at an 8 or 16 ohm load.

Another thing to consider is that you're going to want power tube distortion for the style music you play. 50 watts is a large venue amp, and I'll guarantee that you're won't be able to run the master volume on that amp over two without someone telling you to turn down. I'd suggest trying out some amps in the 15 to 30 watt range.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@jesus-of-suburbia)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thank you

ReplyQuote
(@jesus-of-suburbia)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

This wibesite dosent give me the right to ask you more questions without clogging the forum but you seem to have the knowledge.

is it possible i can still go for the head and cabinet combination but at a lower watt as vox do have smaller option im slightly interesting in trying trying for a change in my guitar lifestyle

Also your suggesting of 15 watt to 20 watts i should buy could you give me any recommendations i dont want to make the same mistake of the marshall

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Perhaps the 15 watt version of the same head?
If you want to leave yourself the option of moving up to 50 watts later, buy the 50 (or more) watt speaker cabinet to go with it.
Remember, the wattage of the speaker is the *most* it can take from the amp. You can use a big speaker with a small amp and be fine.
The other way around (big amp,small speaker) is asking for trouble (and smoke)

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@jesus-of-suburbia)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Perhaps the 15 watt version of the same head?
If you want to leave yourself the option of moving up to 50 watts later, buy the 50 (or more) watt speaker cabinet to go with it.
Remember, the wattage of the speaker is the *most* it can take from the amp. You can use a big speaker with a small amp and be fine.
The other way around (big amp,small speaker) is asking for trouble (and smoke)

Thats the clearest ansewer i have had thank you i would love to keep on a friends list in case i have future question equipment wise i am starting a band so things are getting more fiddly gear wise

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

What Kent said for starters, the original Night Train is getting a lot of good press. other amp heads you may want to check out are:

Traynor Darkhorse 15H

Ibanez Tubescreamer Amp

Jet City 22H

Egnater has three excellent heads in this range: Tweaker, Rebel 20, and Rebel 30

Most of these also come in a "combo" version too.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I just re-read your first post, and I'm wondering..

Do you like the sound/tone of your Marshall?
Can it get loud enough (assuming no feedback)?
Is your only problem with it feedback?

If so, have you tried moving it to a different location on the stage?
Or aiming it differently?

Can you try putting it between you and the audience, facing the audience?
Or have you tried turning it down, and putting a mic from the PA in front of the amp?

The other factor in feedback is the pickups of your guitar. Some are more susceptible to feedback than others.
Also, when playing at high levels with lots of distortion, do you use a lot of muting in your style? That can help control feedback too.

My gut feeling is that if you simply change amps, you will probably still get feedback at the same levels, unless you change something else.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote