Notifications
Clear all

Christmas Gifts....

15 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@kathleen)
Topic starter  

Ok... newbie here and maybe I'm a bit obsessed/overwhelmed/inLOVE with this whole guitar world - wouldn't call it full-blown *gas*, but did occur to me today that since I really can't really justify getting any more stuff for myself yet, I COULD get all my grown kids guitars for Christmas... maybe someday we can all play together.. :P

Besides practicing, I blew more time than I'd care to admit on eBay tonight looking for the *perfect* instrument for each of them.

Finally realized it's a classic problem: I don't know what I don't know.
GN to the rescue.. seems there's a place to ask ANY question, so would really love to hear your opinions...

I want to get each of them a "pre-owned" guitar/bass - something unique, with some character as opposed to a new/beginner setup..
I've got ~$200-$250 budgeted (without accessories) for each kid.

Here's some background on each of them:

SON #1: 27yrs old, would like to get him a bass guitar.
style: jock with an edge,
works in sales, loves kickboxing/baseball
musical background: played sax for 3 yrs in school; has owned acoustic guitars and also electronic drums (nothing currently); father's a drummer.
grew up listening to classis/alternative rock
Favorite music: Linkin Park, Ludicris, Nirvana

DAUGHTER-IN-LAW (SON #1's wife): 29yrs old, would like to get her an electric guitar.
style: bleeding edge fashion, jaw-dropping gorgeous.
student, works part-time at Coffee shop.
musical background: ? I don't know if she's ever played anything. She likes to karaoke with the rest of us...
grew up listening to: Frank Sinatra and ????
Favorite music: Korn, but she's also brought me some random oldies too.. like "The Association"

SON #2: 22yrs old. would like to get him an electric guitar.
style: indie/free-spirit, shops exclusively at thrift stores
5th yr college, part time investment telemarketing.
musical background: 1 year clarinet, 2yrs sax. currently has dj/turntable set up. collects vinyl (1000's).
grew up listening to: classic/alt rock and big brothers nirvana
Favorite music: Changes monthly: currently Black Sabbath/Jimi Hendrix, last month r&b, 2 months ago: David Crosby.. go figure.

Thanks!

lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

What a great plan! 8) Of course the risk of you ending up very disappointed is there, but I have to admire the intentions!

Have no idea really of what to get - but with that budget I'd think you could get almost anything second hand - good luck!!

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@kathleen)
Topic starter  

Of course the risk of you ending up very disappointed is there, but I have to admire the intentions!

...maybe they'll be disappointed, but not me! 8) :o :o

I'm watching these for SON#1's wife... thought she might like a lighter color - any opinions?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=002&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=120053370801&rd=1&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=006&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=160051866979&rd=1&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=130047511035&rd=1&rd=1

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like a great idea Kathleen! 8)

I think your daughter-in-law would like any of those 3, but my recomendation would be the B.C. Rich Eagle. Reminds me of a guitar Lita Ford would play. 8)

As for son #1, I don't know much about bass guitars, but have you checked out Ibanez? Whenever I'm at G.C., the Ibanez basses always catch my eye.

Son #2... a Tele pops in my head. 8) That Squier Tele you're watching on EBay might work well.

Good luck on your shopping! 8) 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I have a squier from Korea - great guitar. I would recommend that over the others.

The BC Rich is beautiful, but I think that auction will get to about $400.

And if you are looking for a base, what about this one??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=280048043788&rd=1&rd=1

ps - that is my auction.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

For the first son I don't know I'm not much into Bass Guitars....atm
For Daughter in Law for some reason a Red DanElectro U2 or something came to mind. Something Styleish and out of the ordinary.
For Son#2 Strat all the way...LOL

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

I have a squier from Korea - great guitar. I would recommend that over the others.

The BC Rich is beautiful, but I think that auction will get to about $400.

And if you are looking for a base, what about this one??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=280048043788&rd=1&rd=1

ps - that is my auction.

And the bass will match the white guitar in your icon...

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

You have a great family, i must remark ! For you all, christmas is going to be a huge jam session i believe...

As to guitars, i have no experience in variety of them, so the members' suggestions are the ones to watch out.

Happy Christmas, way in advance. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

I can't help you, this year I have bought way over my quota of gear. So another thread is tearing my heart out. It is the Squire'51 thread. It seems everybody on this site got one but ME. I just wanted to say that if you come in under budget for your crew you could put me on your Xmas list and for a mere $99.00 make me a believer in Santa again.
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

You know, Robbie mentioned the Squier '51. They are on sale for $99 shipped brand new. 3 different colors to choose from. Not a bad deal at all. Also MF has the Oscar Schmidt "Delta King" hollow body in black that I just got for my birthday - $129 shipped. Couple of good deals there, and something else to think about. :wink:

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@kathleen)
Topic starter  

Rahul, Thanks... and Merry *early* Christmas back at you! :P

Dali, wish I'd checked out your auction before it ended... missed the Squier too... I work on computers all week and sometimes I just can't bring myself to turn it
on over the weekend!

Still watching the BC Rich for Daughter-in-Law, think it's so sweet looking and still cheap, but a couple of more days yet. Dagwood, funny you mention the U2, that's my guitar... I love it and may just end up getting one for her, but there's already this weird sort-of-family-joke/vibe going on... he'll call me "babe" and her "mom"... creeps us all out sometimes :roll: :lol:

So, being the newb that I am, can someone point me to the Squier '51 thread/link, I can't find it... and also tell me what Dan T's "MF" stands for? Both sound like great options to check out for son #2.

Thanks, Kathleen
ps. Robbie: Santa lives...
:)

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

MF is Musician's Friend. An online music store.

The first 51 thread that got everyone going -

https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28523

The "Roll Call" thread -

https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28591

Good luck with your shopping. I hope everything works out and everyone is happy.

ReplyQuote
(@kathleen)
Topic starter  

Well... say hello to mf's (hmm... :oops:) latest victim...
2 squier 51's, a delta king, 3 amps, 2 tuners, 3 cases, a couple of pedals, books, dvd's, etc..etc...etc...etc... later!!!

Great start on all the christmas shopping and WAY :o :o :o under budget to boot... that's a first!

Now, if only i was right-handed, i could still keep get that BC Rich on ebay for myself...

Thanks everyone!

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I think you're going to have some happy kids this Christmas Kathleen. :wink:

Sorry I wasn't clear in my post, I just assume everyone knows about Musician's Friend. :oops: Glad Mike pointed you in the right direction. :D

FYI, you may need to get the action, (string height), lowered on the Delta King, and have lighter gauge strings put on it. I like it the way it is, as I'm mainly using it for slide in open G tuning, but if I were going to play it alot without the slide, I'd lower the strings. Great guitar though. 8)

Dan

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Well... say hello to mf's (hmm... :oops:) latest victim...
2 squier 51's, a delta king, 3 amps, 2 tuners, 3 cases, a couple of pedals, books, dvd's, etc..etc...etc...etc... later!!!

Great start on all the christmas shopping and WAY :o :o :o under budget to boot... that's a first!

Now, if only i was right-handed, i could still keep get that BC Rich on ebay for myself...

Thanks everyone!
:shock: MOMMY?!?!?!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote