Skip to content
Dark Side of the Mo...

Notifications
Clear all

Dark Side of the Moon vs the Wizard of Oz...

37 Posts
25 Users
0 Likes
15.3 K Views
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'm sure everyone's heard of this, but like me, never actually got around to trying it... so here's a link to a vid where it's been done for you :)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4935715412555856092&q=pink+floyd

Some things to look out for are listed here.

Myself, I'm a sceptic in general and I've always been sceptical of this, but having watched it I'm now a little more undecided. There's a huge amount of links (and they come thick and fast in some places) - but on the other hand there are quite a few places where nothing happens, and few tricks 'missed', and quite a few facts about the recording that would make it a lot harder to accomplish than it would at first seem. I wouldn't put it past them anyway, what with all the Publius stuff :)

What does eveyone else reckon?

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

No Way - I don't believe it at all. Some reasons for that opinion are:

1. Pink Floyd have always denied it completely.

2. One time two guys who were firm believers tried to convince me about it but it turned out they couldn't agree at which exact point at the start of the movie to start the album. They had completely different starting points, which just convinced me that you can start anywhere and 'read' meaning into it. The album has such an indeterminate start anyway that it wouldn't be easy to start in the right place.

3. I can't imagine Pink Floyd choosing this movie. It's all the wrong style, imagery and the wrong generation. I can't imagine them associating themselves with something that was popular in their parents day. I'm sure most of their fans at the time (including myself) would, (had we known about it), have expected them to choose something more contemporary, underground, and maybe futuristic, and we would have been disappointed with that choice.
Yes - Led Zeppelin (and others) associated themselves with The Lord of the Rings, which is even older - but that book was not popular in their parents' time. It was only popular with artists, musicians, and other ne'er do wells. That's why the hippies could relate to it. The Wizard of Oz was definitely one for the masses, which I would expect more or less disqualifies it from such treatment.

ReplyQuote
(@jsnood)
Estimable Member

Paul is dead.

There is no way to peace. Peace is the way. - A.J. Muste

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

I still want to know who(m) was watching The Wizard of Oz and listening to Dark Side of the Moon when they discovered it. I don't think it was done on purpose. I read on wiki and some other site that Dark Side of the Moon or at least a song from the ablum was wrote about Judy Garland, but I don't believe that either. Pure coincidence when played together?

I say try a favorite ablum with a favorite movie and see what happens. Probably be rolling on the floor laughing at how it turns out.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

I think it only works with Pink Floyd because of all of the voices, and sound effects going on. I'm sure it won't work with most bands if they don't have all the sound effects and strange noises. Just my opinion. I've watched it and some of it seemed plausible but there are long gaps in time where there is nothing going on between the two.

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

We use play albums and watch martial arts films on
Saturday afternoons. Some of the results where quite
entertaining. Or at least we thought so at the time.

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

any particular albums work well with those martial arts films?

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Chuck Norris movies need no sound.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

any particular albums work well with those martial arts films?

The old Batman comic strip audio can handle that. :lol:

*POW* %BAM% *BOOM*

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

We use play albums and watch martial arts films on
Saturday afternoons. Some of the results where quite
entertaining. Or at least we thought so at the time.

We did that with Saturday morning cartoons back in the day :lol:

When dark Side of the Moon was recorded there was no home video at that time so what would be the point :wink:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

I'd never heard of this pairing before.

Interesting, but not startling, IMO. I voted "probably not (deliberate)."

But it was fun to watch. Thx for the link!

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I watched the first 10 minutes, don't have enough time to watch the whole thing...Didn't notice any links or anything like that at all. So I don't know what to answer for the poll question. I've heard this rumour before though, never actually looked into it until today.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

When dark Side of the Moon was recorded there was no home video at that time so what would be the point :wink:

Well done - Smokindog. That is so obvious now you've mentioned it, I can't believe I never thought of it. My 99.9% doubt has now risen to 100% - Thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

Well done - Smokindog. That is so obvious now you've mentioned it, I can't believe I never thought of it. My 99.9% doubt has now risen to 100% - Thanks.
however plenty of people had home cinema, and you could get films for projectors. I remember watching King Kong and my grandparents in the late 70s

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

however plenty of people had home cinema, and you could get films for projectors. I remember watching King Kong and my grandparents in the late 70s

Not plenty Jim - especially in the early 70s when DSOTM was made. I only knew one old guy who had one at that time and that was for his own family holiday movies. Certainly kids of Pink Floyd fans age group didn't have access to them except in the rare case where parents or in your case, grandparents had them. Maybe you could order films such as King Kong from special places but they weren't generally available - and the technology wasn't up to synchronising them to a record easily. No - the whole concept is obviously a product of the home video age which came after DSOTM.

Also - I've only been hearing of this rumour in the last 10 years. I never heard anything of this during the 70s or 80s. Did you or anyone hear of it before the 90s?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3