Notifications
Clear all

Equipment You Wished You Still Had...

21 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Late 40's Gibson Super 400 that was given to me by a friend of the family in 1974, Kept it for awhile and sold it for about three hundred dollars when I decided that it wasn't "A real rock and roll guitar"! SIIIIIGGGGGHHHHH! :shock: :oops: :cry:

Way before I really got into guitars and knew what they were. Although I got a 58 Les Paul with part of the money when they were still considered "used gear". Sold that in the nineties "cork sniffing" days and used the money for my kids education! :D

I've been better at keeping stuff lately although my wife complains about the stuff I have now! :twisted:

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@boogie)
Honorable Member

About 15 years ago I bought a Roland JC 120 off my brother. About 12 1/2 years ago I accepted a job in a new state and sold it to reduce the amount of stuff we were moving. :oops: :cry: :roll: :shock:

At least I kept my Mesa Boogie Studio .22 :twisted:

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

I don't really regret selling anything yet, but I'm glad I read this thread.

I've been seriously considering selling two of my guitars and only keeping one. Don't need the money or anything (but I could pay down a credit card or two) but I get in this mindset that I'm not good enough to have all this gear sometimes. I walk into my studio with PA system, three electrics and one acoustic hanging on the walls, several amps, mics and stands, pedal board (with expensive pedals on it) and I think "Man, it looks like I know what I'm doing". Of course this is usually when I'm frustrated with my playing or frustrated with the lack of practice time. But I also have to remind myself that I'm not a gigging musician, so why do I need half of this crap? I'm a bedroom wanker.

Anyway, sorry for the small rant, but I'm sure I can't be alone in these feelings? I know for a fact I'd regret selling my guitars. I LOVE the ones I have (specially the SG), but it does get hard to justify them sometimes. Plus, I know I'd probably turn around and buy new ones eventually. Rinse, wash, repeat.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Jason,

I know how you feel exactly. I have three guitars all electric and I keep thinking I should get rid of at least one, but unless I was really desperate I think I'll keep em.

As for all the other gear, I don't have quite as much as you but I do feel the same way alot of times , like the gear is better than my playing deserves, but I try not to think about it much.

Think of it this way, if you had a Lamborghini in your driveway would you be "embarassed" that it was a better car than you are capable of driving....no you think I got one Bad A@@ car in my driveway...think about your gear the same way, you deserve it!!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

cnev, you are absolutely correct. The gear are the tools and why not have the best you can afford, right?

I think that mindset I mentioned in my last post is more when I'm on the pitty potty or something. One of those "Why aren't I better than I am" kinda moments. Of course the answer isn't the gear but rather my lack of practice and being just plain lazy sometimes. Nowadays I'd rather pick up the guitar and make "music" that I've played a million times rather than run scales or chord changes. Maybe fessing up in this thread will help motivate me to start proper practice again. Who knows? :lol:

And yeah, I won't be getting rid of any guitars. I honestly know better. :wink:

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

That's definitely where I am now... I've recycled so much gear (to finance other gear) and I wish I hadn't. I know I probably won't stop fully, but I'm definitely slowing down.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2