Clear all

What tunes are you learning right now?

35 Posts
26 Users
0 Likes
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I'm doing Help The Poor by Robben Ford. I've got reliable TAB/standard notation and a nice backing track, but I'm gonna try learning it all by ear, then check against the TAB and figure why I've deviated from it (if I have done, and I probably will, lol). On acoustic, I'm trying to learn a Gordon Giltrap style piece using harmonics a lot. I'm using the TAB/standard notation for that one though, as the new technique will be sufficiently testing without having to suss it all by ear, too.

Hopefully, I'll get both pieces down, and my recording gear working fully within one month from now. I'll post links to me plying them then.

Lol, I'm posting this because I know my own tendency to faff about and/or substitute things to practise before fully mastering them. Hopefully this 'deadline' will make me get my backside in gear over it.

Anyone else who wants to join me (doing whatever tunes) go right ahead. Your posts will help keep this thread in sight whenever I log on, so I'll keep plugging away at my tunes. :wink:

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

I'll be more than happy to put some pressure on you - I'll look forward to hear you playing them on the 10th of April ;-)
I don't know Robben ford or Gordon Giltrap yet.

Me? Nothing to advanced - inspired by Vic's latest post in ESD I started today looking at Starman to add it to my solo reportoire which I'm constantly trying to maintain and expand. That's maybe the only thing I'm pretty satisfied with music-wise: I'll never become a great guitar player but I do have a pretty good memory for lyrics and chords. I can probably do at least 30-40 songs solo off the cuff with complete lyrics (including desolation row ;-) )

I do play ziggy stardust and life on mars already so Starman fits right in. Maybe I should commit to a recording too? :roll: Challenge #1 is to find a good key for me to sing it in - the range in the song is an octave + a third I think. Maybe A minor

Bandwise we have a lot of titles in the air. Time, Still got the blues and Black Velvet are high on that list.

lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Blue Oyster Cult's Astronomy. I kind of already learned it on guitar but want to learn it on the keyboard as well to meld the two together. I want to start on the piano and then switch to guitar when it gets heavier.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

At the moment, I'm working on two fronts - learning new songs to jam to (ie Starman as mentioned by Lars above, Heart Full Of Soul By The Yardbirds - I've tabbed them both out for the ESD.) I'm looking for a few old pop/rock songs that everybody knows and can sing along to.

And learning some solo acoustic songs - hopefully, before too long, I'll be going to a new open mic venue, so I'm working on Space Oddity (almost got that nailed, not quite memorised) Behind Blue Eyes and a few others. Might throw Starman into that as well!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@jase36)
Reputable Member

Anything I learn has to be still relatively easy, although there aren't to many songs that come easily to me. I find myself currently in the David Bowie back catalogue. I've been learning Ziggy Stardust for about 2 weeks and although I've more or less got it I'm miles away from how I would like to play it. I resisted the urge to learn starman but started on space oddity yesterday and can pretty much play through it, need to work on the chorus and timing generally.

Scybe I'm looking forward to hearing your Giltrap style piece, how long wiil it take you to learn ?

http://www.youtube.com/user/jase67electric

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

kewl to get some posts on this, lol.

It'll take me as long as it takes me, lol, I hope to have it playable within the month or before the month is up (its not too long, it just involves the right hand doing stuff it doesn't usually do...not mine, anyway), but as it mostly involves the right hand plucking harmonics out of various chords, it may well be 4-6 months or so of regular practise before it becomes a natural part of my playing or I feel comfortable enough to whip it out on any occasion. but then, if I waited 6 months before learning it, it'd be a year from now before I felt comfortable with it, so....

the Robben Ford is an attempt to push past a plateau - he uses very different rhythms to my improv. playing, and often messes with modality to some degree to 'spice up' his blues playing (he's arguably just using these 'modal' notes more as accidentals than creating a strongly modal feel to a lot of his music, but its still a step away from my usual fare), so I'm hoping to learn a thing or two from both pieces! :D :D

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Still.....Mule

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

My new band's back catalogue, mainly ;)

...but still trying out a few arrangements of new songs - not so much learning as "seeing if I can manage to sing and play reasonably whilst not simplifying to the point that they become boring" :mrgreen: Foo Fighters Tired of You, Everlong and Skin and Bones, The Eels' Not Ready Yet and Guest List, and James Dean Bradfield's Emigré. Also Fleetwood Mac's Never Going Back, minus vocals, just for the sheer hell of it :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Nothing too new these days, as you saw in the other thread today. I'm working on the first set of 21 light-medium rock songs to get better and better at them. The harder rock songs I'm doing now are Start Me Up, Keep On Rocking In The Free World and Fly By Night.

Keep On Rocking I've pretty much got down, just getting better at it and maybe try the solo out.
Start Me Up I've never really got the song down from beginning to end in one arrangement.
Fly By Night is pretty much new to me.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I am on leave from guitar for the moment...but I can play my uke.
I am learning 'Something', by George Harrison.

before my break I was working on a rave-up version of the Animals "I'm Crying" and "We Gotta Get Out of This Place".
it was in F because that chord sounds great on my strat. that barre chord is a killer on the hand .
I hope to get back soon and get to recording it.

Robin Ford is a great player. he messes with the boxes on the fret boards.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Lord Mr. Ford by Jerry Reed.

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Crossroads
- still about 15-20 bpm off the pace

Waiting in Vain
- mostly there but every so often that lopping rhythm throws me off (1 down chuck, eh up chuck, & down strum, ah up chuck)

Moondance
- just starting this one

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

"The Man Who Sold the World" (Nirvana unplugged version) - My son and I learned it this weekend. I may release a recording of it once I get it mixed.

"Whiskey in the Jar" - is our next project. I've got the rhythm part down and he knows most of the lead, just need to practice playing all the way through.

"Tuesday's Gone" - I'm working on a 3 guitar arrangement for me, my son and a co-worker.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Miami - counting Crows actually that's done. Need to buy a Big Muff or something similar for the solo as I can't get that tone out of my current setup.

Takin Care of Business - Done but only the rhythm because if we end up playing this the lead guitar player will play the solo. I may learn it later if I feel like it.

A couple Marley tunes, Roots, Rock, Reggae and Get Up Stand Up

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

A couple Marley tunes, Roots, Rock, Reggae and Get Up Stand Up

Get Up Stand Up that sounds familiar.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3