Clear all

Favourite Songwriter

40 Posts
31 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Teleplayer mentioned that players like Dylan and Cobain were better known for their songwriting as opposed to their guitar playing. So I figured it couldn't hurt to start a thread about that.

(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Dylan has been covered by everyone, so I would say he is definatley one of the most if not the Most influential songwriter, but for favorites from the list I would say Hank Sr.
Now for songwriters not listed I would go with Jagger/Richards. No one can write a catchy riff like Keef

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

Paul Simon

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Leonard Cohen.

But Willie, Hank Sr., and Johnny Cash rank right up there too.

And, of course Zappa :wink:

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

While not technically a songwriter, I love the lyrics that Neil Peart pens...

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Not one single jazz songwritter of note. *sigh*

How about Count Basie, Louis Armstrong, Ray Charles, The Carters, Nat King Cole, Ella Fitzgerald, Stan Getz, Duke Ellington, Bill Evans, Benny Goodman, Billie Holiday, Woody Herman, Dizzy Gillespie, Sonny Rollins, Frank Sinatra, Ira and George Gershwin, Oscar Hammerstein, Dorothy Fields, Gerry Mulligan, Cole Porter, Richard Rodgers, . . ..

I'll take anyone on that above list

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I'd have to agree with both Teleplayer and Voodoo_Merman. I'd also have to add John Prine.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I'm with 'other'. Some of the greatest and most prolific songwriters - Stephen Foster, Cole Porter, Antonio Carlos Jobim....

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

You're absolutely right, NoteBoat! I think one's mind (at least mine does), tends to go to what's most familiar or at least at the forefront at the current time, anyway. Hence, Dylan, Simon, Prine.......... but, in retrospect, there were a GREAT number of incredible songwriters WAY before they even thought about writing a song. And, I'm sure that there are some younger ones out there today who will one day top the list of someone else's "Favorites" list. We've all got to remember to keep our minds OPEN!!! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

Bob Marley

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I'm just glad the poll said "favourite" not "best". That's a whole other flamew... ummm, debate :wink:

And, The Dali Lima, thanks for adding Neil Peart to the list.
Writing lyrics to great songs counts as being a songwriter in my book.

I've been a huge Rush fan since I heard their first album, and I can't believe I forgot Neil in my first post.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

I picked Kurt Cobain, because he's who I grew up listening to, even though all the choices are great including the ones not on the poll.

:D

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@katreich)
Prominent Member

John Hiatt

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Bob Marley

I was thinking of putting him up there, but didn't for some reason. I like his music. It's catchy and has a nice message attached to it.

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

With the exception of Kurt Cobain I'd have to say
all of the above.

I know there are a lot of Cobain fans out there
but I never quite got him.

Of course he was not writing for my generation
was he.

And as for songwriters not on the poll

John Hiatt and John Prine

I know they have both been mentioned before
but they truely are two of my favorites.

So I guess my vote goes to other.

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3