Clear all

Fender Strings?

13 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

My music shop was out of my usual brand - D'Addarios, 9's - yesterday. So I bought some Fender 150's to try - anyone else use these? It was a choice between them or EB's - and I got fed up with them years ago, seemed to lose all tone and go black inside a week.

Anyone else use Fender strings? let me know what you think - I'm about to put this set on the Tele and leave 'em to stretch overnight.

Thanks in advance for your opinions,

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Hey Vic :D

Are the 150's the PURE Nickel, Reg Ball end strings????

If so - I've used those from time to time.... Especially if I buy strings up here in Wisco (not much to choose from).

I prefer Pure nickel strings, and sometimes the Fenders are the only ones I can find.
I've had no problems with them at all.

Fender Bullets on the other hand - I DO NOT LIKE.
You've no need of those with a Tele though.

I'm also not a fan of EB strings.

You shouldn't have any problem with those strings though :D
(if they are the pure nickel ball ends)

Ken

ps - The only reason I really don't make the Fenders my string of choice is because
in addition to the Pure Nickel, I also prefer the semi-rounds;
As far as I know, Fender only makes full rounds.
I find the semi-rounds with GHS strings - I have had no problems with GHS strings either.
Sometimes I run into DR pure nickel strings as well.... I Use DR's on my Acoustic,
so I might use those as well.

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Are the 150's the PURE Nickel, Reg Ball end strings????

Yep. Pure nickel wound, ball end. You like 'em? Well that's one recommendation - from the resident tone freak! - I'll be sure to bear in mind! Thanks, Ken!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Hmm, I'm just the opposite. I love Ernie Ball strings and dislike Fender strings. I use Ernie Ball not even slinky's 12-56 sets on my tele's, and the skinny top/heavy bottoms on my strats.
I do use D'Addario Flat Wound Chrome 13-56 for my Ibby Af75

For my acoustics I use Dean Markley Blue Steel mediums

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hmm, I'm just the opposite. I love Ernie Ball strings and dislike Fender strings.

Yeah? I know the other Ken - Smokindog - is an EB man, too. Somehow me and EB's never seem to get along. Anyway, I never got around to changing strings last night - I'll do 'em in a few minutes and give the guitar a good clean. Like I said, these are just an experimental set, really - just curious as to who used Fender strings and what they thought of them.

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

My favorites are juststring.com's bulk nickel electric strings, but I just bought a bunch of Fender strings from them because they were on sale and the 6-string packs are more convenient to use than bundled individual gauge strings.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

My Strat came with a set of Fender Bullets. I didn't like them and they broke (I don't remember a broken string since I returned to the guitars). I like D'Addario, GHS... lately I'm using DR.

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

"Branding" by Fender doesn't improve the tone. Changing them often does...or...get some medical grade isopropyl and wipe the strings down often with a linen cloth (lint free, in other words). BE CERTAIN to slide some cardboard under the strings over the fretboard so the alcohol doesn't get to the wood! And DON'T hit the nut with the alcohol, either!!!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I tried the Fender Bullets once & didn't like them. Seemed to go dead almost immediately.

My son uses Ernie Ball 9's on his guitars. They're ok IMO.

I like the D'Addario EXL110's the best.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

same here, don't care for Fender bullets.
and like the few I do like EB. I use 10's. they work well for me. they seem to last well, but after twenty hard hours any string would need a change.
I like nickel on my electrics and bronz phos on my acoustics.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Add me to the list of bullet non-fans. Never tried the 150s.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

don't think I've ever met a Fender Bullets fan -- but there must be one somewhere.

used to buy EB, but for some random and forgotten reason have switched to D'Addario as my generic electric strings. for some reason, I rarely buy Fender strings, the last Fenders were Chromes, which are flatwounds. they sure ain't TIs.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Actually, I was mistaken. Those sets I bought from juststrings are Darco, not Fender. Shows how much attention I pay to string brands.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote