Skip to content
Gibson SG "Spe...

Notifications
Clear all

Gibson SG "Special" . . . compared to an Epi LP?

17 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Although my searches didn't throw anything up, I expect this question has been done to death, so my apologies before I start! :oops:

I currently have an Epi LP standard, which I am very pleased with, but have been hankering after an SG for a while. For the price, I am quite tempted to go for a Gibson rather than a copy (certainly, the price difference is a lot less than it is for a Les Paul comparison between the two!). I have recently spotted quite a few new "Gibson SG Special"'s for seemingly low prices, circa £450 (about $800). My question is, while I don't have the luxury of a good guitar shop on hand to play with the guitars (although I am going to a national show in November), what is the difference apart from the shape, between a Les Paul and an SG? I get the impression that the neck is to all intents and purposes the same, the pickups generally seem similar, the accessibility up the neck is obviously better (although I have no issues even up into the highest frets on my LP) . . . other than that? I also haven't quite fathomed out what the "Special" bit means for the SG. :?

Thanks in advance for any replies.:)

Rob

If something's not worth doing it's worth forgetting about.
Epiphone Les Paul Std - Yamaha Pacifica 112XJ - Takamine EG340SC - Taylor Baby - Grainger Hammerhead 50 - Grainger Valve Five
http://www.youtube.com/yashicamatonline

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I believe the Specials are just budget guitars as compared to the more expensive SG Standard. These guitars do not have binding on the neck, have exposed pickups (490 pickups compared to 490 and 498 on the Standard). The finish is not as nice. I own a Faded Special and really like it. The necks are thicker on the Specials as compared to the Standards as well, some may not like this.

An SG is much lighter than an LP, big difference there. In my opinion the SG has a slightly brighter tone, but it is still a good solid humbucker tone. I love the pickups on mine, I actually prefer the tone over my LP Studio which has the exact pickups as the SG Standard. And as you mentioned, it is much easier to play high on the fingerboard of an SG than an LP.

It is difficult to compare to an Epi LP because they do not really sound like a Gibson LP. Epi's tend to sound a little muddy to me compared to Gibson.

Gibson's are overpriced to begin with, even though this Special SG costs much more than your Epi, the quality may not be as good. I am satisfied with mine, but for the price the quality should be much better. But it is a great guitar simply because it has excellent tone which is the most important thing any guitar can have. They are good sounding guitars IMHO.

My 2 cents.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I've got an Epi LP Custom, but I do not have a Gibson SG. Just an Epi SG. Aside form that, I think the biggest difference will be the brightness of the SG. The SG and LP that I have both came with the same pick-ups, I think. Alcino's or whatever they're called. When I brought the SG home, I did quite a bit of comparison and determined that the SG had some brightness to it that the LP didn't have. I could nail some AC/DC types of tone, for instance. Since then, I've changed the SG pickups to some SDs, and that puppy really screams now.

However, if I knew the price drops on SGs, I would have held out and got the Gibson. Basically, I took a $450 guitar that I got at a hefty discount for 3-something and added $180 in pickups to it. Epi lowered the SGs, so that guitar now sells for $300. So, I got, with labor, about $550-$600 invested into a $300 guitar. Not one of my better purchases.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replies. :)

I'm now wondering if a better course of action would be to get an Epi SG and equip it with good quality SD pickups instead?

I've seen a few versions of Epi SG's, the "top spec" one appears to be the G400 (I spotted a G400 Deluxe which looked superb with a sunburst finish 8) ).

Rob

Epiphone Les Paul Std - Yamaha Pacifica 112XJ - Takamine EG340SC - Taylor Baby - Grainger Hammerhead 50 - Grainger Valve Five

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I would have probably gotten a Gibson if the prices on both the Epi and Gibson were what they are now. I really don't know, but it sounds like Wes and others are pleased with their Gibsons without modification. Lots of Epi owners change pickups.

Heh. I don't know what this says about things, but last month when I was looking for tube amps, I grabbed what I thought was my epi off the wall to do a comparison. After 30 minutes I was like "wow, this thing plays nicely". Put it back up on the wall and I noticed it wasn't mine at all, but the SG Special for $149.

You might try looking at Harmony Central's reviews on them both.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Roy. :)

Yeah, I think I'll be trying both at the guitar show, I just expect I won't have the chance to actually play them properly though there as it's a show, rather than a shop.

Rob

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member

+1 on just about everything Wes said! :)

I also own both the Gibson Faded SG Special and the LP Studio, and I actually prefer the sound of the SG. In addition, the neck (which is big) feels better despite the fact that my hands are quite small. The weight of the SG is also a factor. If forced to choose between the 2, I'm pretty sure I'd pick the SG (except for the fact that the LP was a gift from my better half!).

I never especially liked the look of the SG, and especially this bare bones one I have! My LP is beautiful and cost more than twice as much. (BTW...I also agree with Wes that Gibsons are overpriced! :shock: ) However...I really, really love the feel and the tone of my SG! It's great fun to play. I also find the tone somewhat brighter, but the SG humbucker sound is NEVER to be confused with a single-coil type; it is very full and rich. It's not better...just different. As for switching out the pups on the faded, it's never occurred to me. I love 'em as they are. :D

I also own the SG Classic, which has dual P-90's, and I love it very much! I once took it back as I felt it was too bright and was also too similar (looks-wise) to my faded to justify keeping (dumb thinking there... :roll: ). I missed it so badly that I went back on a promise to stay out of GC (the only place I could find one) and bought another one!

Perhaps I'm biased toward SGs over LPs, so keep that in mind whilst reading this. Also, I've heard about quality control problems with both Epi and Gibson, so be sure you get a decent return policy if you go for either!

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Musica23, so if I read this right, you've got two SGs, one with humbuckers and one with p-90s. Just curious, 'cause I don't know. What's the difference between the two tone-wise?

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member

Although my searches didn't throw anything up, I expect this question has been done to death, so my apologies before I start! :oops:

I currently have an Epi LP standard, which I am very pleased with, but have been hankering after an SG for a while. For the price, I am quite tempted to go for a Gibson rather than a copy (certainly, the price difference is a lot less than it is for a Les Paul comparison between the two!). I have recently spotted quite a few new "Gibson SG Special"'s for seemingly low prices, circa £450 (about $800). My question is, while I don't have the luxury of a good guitar shop on hand to play with the guitars (although I am going to a national show in November), what is the difference apart from the shape, between a Les Paul and an SG? I get the impression that the neck is to all intents and purposes the same, the pickups generally seem similar, the accessibility up the neck is obviously better (although I have no issues even up into the highest frets on my LP) . . . other than that? I also haven't quite fathomed out what the "Special" bit means for the SG. :?

Thanks in advance for any replies.:)

I think you may be better off going with a high-end Epiphone SG. I have a white G 400 with EMG active pickups that I paid under $1000 Canadian for. G 400 is just a style of Epi SG, it has the half pickguard like the old Gibsons instead of the modern fullface one. SG's are lighter, more agressive-sounding, don't sustain as well, and apparently warp easier according to the hardcore LP fanboys. But, we shall see.

Ewan McGregor: I said, "Eve, I want you to look after my wedding ring while I'm away," and she started to cry and I said, "Eve. Eve, I can't wear my ring or I won't get laid on the trip!"

ReplyQuote
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member

Musica23, so if I read this right, you've got two SGs, one with humbuckers and one with p-90s. Just curious, 'cause I don't know. What's the difference between the two tone-wise?

As near as I can tell, the P 90's are single coil and slightly more "Strat-like" in tone. The humbuckers give you a much smoother, fatter tone that I prefer immensly.

Ewan McGregor: I said, "Eve, I want you to look after my wedding ring while I'm away," and she started to cry and I said, "Eve. Eve, I can't wear my ring or I won't get laid on the trip!"

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member

rparker wrote:

SGinCYQX pretty much nailed it for me, Roy! :)

The P-90's are single coil, but they don't sound Strat-like or Tele-like to me. I'd say they possess a sound somewhere between a usual single coil and a humbucker. They can be very harsh when played LOUD and/or distorted (which is partly what made me take my first one back...fear of going deaf... :shock: ). But it's a sound unlike any other, IMO, and I love it. Hence, I'll wear earplugs... :? I think they sound great distorted. They're dangerously harsh as I said (can't think of another word!), but very appealing (to me, at least). Very dirty and on the thin side, but full in their own way. (Sorry I can't describe the sound any better! :( )

Pete Townshend, for example, played an SG w/ P-90's in the 70's (???). Oddly enough, he has lost a substantial amount of hearing (as have many of his/our generation!). This SG is great for classic rock power chords (AC/DC, The Who, etc.) It sustains forever. When I bought it for the second time, I told my hubby I got my mojo back. He said: :roll:

I can't say that I really prefer one over the other (P-90's vs. buckers). Again, they're very, very different and it depends on what sound you're looking to get. I'd say that the buckers are a much more traditional and more widely used pup, but the P-90 has its place! (Right, Wes??? :wink: )

Hope that helps, Roy! Take care! :D

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

This has actually got my mind working (always a bad idea :lol: ) . . . should I change the pickups in my Epi LP?!

Rob

ReplyQuote
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member

This has actually got my mind working (always a bad idea :lol: ) . . . should I change the pickups in my Epi LP?!
You could swap them out to something nice and have a real keeper of a guitar. OR you could invest a little more and have a "Gibson" that is lower quality and not nearly as nice looking as a high end Epiphone.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I'm never modifying my EPI LP. I'll mess with the others, but not that one. Me and my LP have a bond. I think I'm gonna name her. :D

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

While tempted, after spending the last few hours playing through my LP I am quite tempted to keep it standard . . . it sounds superb as it is. :)

An SG would be a different matter though, I am still split between an Epi and a Gibson. Trying both in real life will determine the choice I think. :)

Rob

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2