Clear all

Gibson Songwriter Deluxe?

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@ccourtney)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I've been thinking hard about buying the Gibson Songwriter Deluxe but I'm not sure if I've considered similar models from other companies.

Does anyone have a Songwriter (and wants to comment)?

Can recommend a comparable guitar to consider?

Thanks!

Chris

http://www.myspace.com/courtneychris

(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

There's not a lot of information to go on there. To make it easier for folks to help you out you need to let us know more about the decision making factors. What is it that you want to play? Where and how do you want to play it? What's the budget? I notice that the Songwriter is a small dreadnought - is that smaller size important? Are the decorative features as important as the playability and sound?

As for myself, I've got a much less expensive acoustic (1/4 to 1/3 the price of the Songwriter) - a Seagull M6. In that higher end I know that some folks like Santa Cruz guitars, the higher end Seagulls, and the Larrivees. Have you looked at them?

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@ccourtney)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks. I have a Martin D-15 Custom which I play for coffee house gigs, normally using a Dean Markley soundhole pickup through a Roland AC-60 amp.

I also have a Stratocaster and a Paco Marin classical guitar, plus other amps, etc.

I'm interested in the Songwriter because I want to upgrade my acoustic and improve my sound when plugged in. I like the tone of Gibson acoustics and this model is at the upper edge of my price range. I've tried Seaguls and Larrivees but the store I was at (in London) did not seem to carry any higher end models. I tried the Songwriter at a store in Belgium but did not get enough time to give it a good try - but I did like the feel and sound. Decent guitar stores are hard to find in southern Italy so I'm limited to trying them out while travelling. I just want to kick over every rock before I make a decision, especially since this will be a major purchase.

Santa Cruz guitars - will need to check them out, plus find the M6.

http://www.myspace.com/courtneychris

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

I'm way out of my depth here so I'm afraid you're going to have to wait for a more experienced acoustic guitar player to wander by - perhaps Dave Hodge?

The Seagull M6 that I have is a nice guitar and probably comparable to your current Martin D-15. I tried one and A/B-ed it when I was buying M6. I liked the sound of the M6 a bit better. So, if you're looking to move up in tone a lot then you probably don't want to be thinking about the Seagull M6. Also, Seagull seems to have renamed this model to the Maritime series. You probably want to look at the Artist or Performer series. You can find their dealers from this link - http://www.seagullguitars.com/dealersintl.htm - so that may help you find one in Europe.

The Santa Cruz guitars are made in Santa Cruz California (an hour's drive south of me) and there a few acquantainces that have one and really love them. They have a web site here - http://www.santacruzguitar.com/ If the Songwriter is a the edge of your budget you might want to skip these. Here's a local to me music store that carries Santa Cruz guitars - http://www.gryphonstrings.com/inventory/instrument_page.php?Maker=Santa%20Cruz&Query=Santa%20Cruz%20Guitars You can see the prices are probably more than your budget.
'm interested in the Songwriter because I want to upgrade my acoustic and improve my sound when plugged in.
Maybe just a crazy idea but if you want to improve your plugged in sound maybe you could do it with your current guitar and a better acoustic pickup?

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

The Seagull M6 that I have is a nice guitar and probably comparable to your current Martin D-15.
Sorry, I disagree. :D

The Seagulls are great guitars, I played several ones (even the 12 strings) when I purchased my D-15 and they were my first choice several months. I like very much the Seagulls. Great sound, great feeling, etc. and you would prefer that sound and feeling to the Martin but the D-15 is all solid and the M6 are only top solid, aprox. 1000€ against 500€.

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

The Seagull M6 that I have is a nice guitar and probably comparable to your current Martin D-15.
Sorry, I disagree. :D

You are quite welcome to disagree but I think I'm going to have to disagree too. :D
The Seagulls are great guitars, I played several ones (even the 12 strings) when I purchased my D-15 and they were my first choice several months. I like very much the Seagulls. Great sound, great feeling, etc. and you would prefer that sound and feeling to the Martin

Yeah, I do like the sound better on the M6 versus the D-15 and from what you write it sounds like you do too.
but the D-15 is all solid and the M6 are only top solid, aprox. 1000€ against 500€.

It's not like the sides/back of the M6 are made of fibreboard though. There's 3 layers - mahogany with a centre layer of cherry. It's claimed to give it a brighter sound. I've seen and heard of higher end guitars using laminates for the back and sides for some of the same claimed reasons - brighter sound - some with the cherry and some with maple.

As for the price, there's not much difference in them here. The D-15 is maybe US$700 to US$800 and that includes a hardshell case. Take off the $150 (the price of a Martin hardshell case) from that to get the price of the guitar only and you're down to US$550 to US$650. The M6 was about $500. I think that makes it roughly comparable in price. How much of the price differential is paying for the Martin name brand and how much is improved quality in parts / construction is debatable. Whether you like one or the other is personal opinion but they are very much in the same price range / category.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I agree, the opinions on the sound are always subjectives. If you have a Seagull and I have a Martin... I guess you like the Seagull more than the Martin and vice versa! :lol:

Now, the prices and specs are prices and specs:

- Martin D-15 at Musician's Friend: List price $1,249, Final $949.
- Seagull M6 at Musician's Friend: Discontinued.

I've got some troubles for finding the final price for the Seagull because it is discontinued in the most traditional reference sites and when I found a price in a store, they didn't sell Martins...

I never see this site before but they have prices for both guitars:

- Martin D-15 at 8th Street: List price $1,149, Final $849.
- Seagull M6 Gloss (is it the Gloss model?) at 8th Street: List price $689, Final $479.

Note that the Martin's list price at 8th Street is $100 cheaper compared to Musician's Friend. The official Martin price is $1,249, thus the 8th Street prices aren't updated. (Fortunately, so we can compare them!)

Specs:

- Martin D-15: Solid top, solid side, solid back.
- Seagull M6: Solid top, laminated side, laminated back.

As I said, the Seagull M6 is a great guitar but, IMHO, M6 and D-15 are different categories. :D

ReplyQuote