Clear all

Giving up smoking - again.....

167 Posts
44 Users
0 Likes
27.4 K Views
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I'll sponsor Vic and Racetruck1 for $5 a week each and donate it whenever it reaches $100.

Geez, that seems a long time ago now...

Great work so far lads.

I don't think we're quite at week 10 yet. But I'm likely to have forgotten all about it by then, now that this thread has gone off the boil... :oops:

Anyway, you've now got past the worst of it, and you've done a terrific job. So my cheque went off to the Salvos this morning.

Congratulations - your efforts have improved your health and your financial situation, and in a modest and roundabout way helped some poor b*gger on the other side of the world as well. 8)

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I don't think we're quite at week 10 yet. But I'm likely to have forgotten all about it by then, now that this thread has gone off the boil...

That's because those of us who quit are no longer constantly thinking about cigarettes....

It's been 49 days, 18 hours and 52 minutes since I last touched the weed - but hey, who's counting?

So if Marilyn and I smoked around 20 a day each, that's nearly 1000 cigarettes not smoked, each of which represents a saving of 20p (100p = £1) - roughly £8 PER DAY, that's nearly £400 saved!!!!

And for the first time ever, we've been able to pay the monthly CableTV/Internet/Phone Bill as soon as it came in....that costs around £140 per month....

It's amazing how it mounts up.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

That's because those of us who quit are no longer constantly thinking about cigarettes....

Excellent to hear Vic. :D 8)

I reckon you've nailed it this time.

(Come to think of it, "nails" was another of those slang words for cigs that was popular for a while. Short for 'coffin nails' if I remember rightly.)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

well - we're into March now, over 60 days without a single cigarette - there have been times I'd have sold my entire record collection - 45's, cassettes, Lp's CD's for just ONE drag......

But I've managed so far and now the ambition isn't just one day at a time - set my sights a bit higher, now my goal is to go through the rest of my life without smoking.....

Funny though, the things that can spark your determination - got the grandson here tonight, he told me I don't "smell nasty anymore"....and mum and dad still smell nasty......

Things like that just make me even more determined....

And my dogs are feeling the benefit - got so much more energy - they're getting out so much more, and running their legs off - and keeping me fit....

And here's the real biggie - even though I've been eating more, and haven't cut back the slightest on the beer - all the exercise i've got from taking the dogs out and walking and running with them....

I'm back to a 32" waist......lost the beer-belly (well, most of it.....!) and I can get in jeans I haven't worn for about 5 years.....

Now if I could just turn some excess unwanted flab (ummm, the bit between my ears....) into muscle I'd be doing OK......

Vid

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

That's all great stuff, Vic, but I love the grandson's frank comment the most! :lol:

Guess you can count on getting more hugs from that one, now that you don't stink anymore. :wink:

Reaching across the pond to give you a great big pat on the back!

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Congrats Vic!!! Great stuff to hear!

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

I havn't read all 8 pages, but if you're still quit...GREAT!!!!!!!!!

I watched as we turned off the machines and let my brother die a couple of years ago. Pall Mall took another one. It still hurts.

You will live longer!

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Hey, I just came across this thread. Keep up the good work.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rigsy)
Eminent Member

Hi

Just came across this thread. Read most of it. Tried to give up myself many times and due another go!. I'm taking inspiration from this thread (haven't smoked in 5 hours!!). Fair play to those that are giving up but was just curious to know how your getting on now as I see it's a while since the last post??

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Five hours eh - from the time of that post, Dr Teeth, you may have gone a full day by now.....fingers crossed.....

I'm still a non-smoker. This time I prepared myself well - made sure there were no cigarettes in the house, made sure there was no tobacco or cigarette papers either. Made sure there were plenty of mints as well - that's my nicotine substitute.
I'm eating better, got more money in my pocket, got more energy and feeling great, generally.

Well - that's not strictly true. About a month back, I had a bad dose of the flu. At least that's what I thought at the time - it didn't want to go away! I was annoyed - thought my resistance to colds, flu and infections would be so much stronger. Turns out it wasn't flu at all - I have glandular fever. Getting over it now, but wow, it's left me as weak as a kitten. My throat's been so sore I couldn't have smoked if I'd wanted to!

But that's straying from the point, which is, I no longer have the desire to smoke - I see people with cigarettes, and instead of thinking "Damn, wish I had one of those!" I'm thinking "Glad I'm not a slave to those any more!"

I'm generally not posessed of a lot of willpower - but this time I was really determined. This might sound like a cliche, but if I can do it, ANYONE can!!!

I could murder for a beer right now though - haven't had one for a while, doctor's orders - but you can keep the cigarettes, I won't be needing those!

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@rigsy)
Eminent Member

Ehh!!

No Vic, Didn't last the full day :oops: :oops:

Gonna try the patches tomorrow and see how I get on. Great to hear your still off them though and thanks for the words of encouragement :D :D

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Excellent post, Vic.

You really sound convincing and it also sounds like your mindset is spot on!

WTG, Vic!!!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Thats great news Vic well done mate.

Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Congratulations Vic! :D

Sorry I didn't read the post before.

I left the tobacco two years and half ago. Probably the worst stage is the first month. Currently you don't have the habit and don't take a cigarette when you are nervous or when your are calm, when you are happy or when you are sad... I remember each state was good for a cigarette. Now you have recovered the smell, the taste and a lot of things.

I remember when I saw somebody smoking in the street or in a bus stop I thought: I don't need that, I'm free!

Maintain the attention but I think you did it! ;)

Congratulations again!

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

http://www.xxxx.com.au/

A beer for you Vic

A real beer

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote