Clear all

GN Smokers Support

287 Posts
41 Users
0 Likes
39.9 K Views
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Noticing that mine and Rahul's posts were deleted, I am guessing that maybe what was therapeutic for me and my efforts to join in and maybe quit myself may not have been useful for anyone else.

I guess I will go elsewhere for my support.

Its ok...maybe the mods want it to be a serious thread.Sometimes i guess humour doesn't works everywhere :oops:

Cheep up mate ...we got nothing to lose.

Between Vic ...how are you doing ?

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I lasted 2 days with out a smoke ........

I'm back huffing and puffing just as bad as ever before .......

The is no will power but plenty of won't power

Sorry team but I fell over maybe try again later in the year .....

Keep trying buddy. It took several tries before I was able to quit but its the best thing I ever did.

And I agree with some else. Dont even give yourself a puff. The addiction is too great and it can be your down fall.

Tele and Vic -

I am super proud of you guys. Hang in there. It DOES get easier with time. The irritability wont last forever and the cringing in your gut will go away.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

The worst I have found though, is the drive to and from work, about 40 minutes each way. I am so used to popping in a CD and having a couple of smokes on the drive, and being in the car driving it's not like I can pick up a guitar to distract myself until the urge passes. Gonna have to figure out something for this one.
When Keith RIchards said it was easier to quit heroin than tobacco he wasn't joking!

Man, the driving thing KILLED me, too. Like clockwork, when I would get into a car, I would crank it up, grab the pack as I was shifting into reverse. It took quite a while to get out of that one.

To keep your mind off it, maybe you would consider an audio book or two on the way to work? I normally reserve those for long trips to help stay awake, but the concentration the plot may help push the smoke from your mind. Dunno, but thought I'd mention it.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Aren't there any songs which can remind the harms of smoking (and benefits of not doing it )and constantly song good too ? I guess that cd in the car disc player may help.

:D

(i think the next assignment in SSG should be non smoking )

ReplyQuote
 klim
(@klim)
Reputable Member

Just hang in there Teleplayer. It's a rough go at it for about a week or so, but it gets easier. Too keep your hands busy, just play more than usual.

It's been over 14 years for me, I don't even think about it anymore.

Cheers, Kenny

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Just hang in there Teleplayer. It's a rough go at it for about a week or so, but it gets easier. Too keep your hands busy, just play more than usual.

It's been over 14 years for me, I don't even think about it anymore.

Cheers, Kenny

And if you need to vent, just PM me#$@!!#***&%$#@ :D

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the support guys, 2 days down and a lifetime to go

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

Keep up your efforts. I too quit several years ago for 14 years. Then I thought I would be the smart guy and just have a couple at parties etc. Soon I was back to a pack a day. here in Canada that's about $11.50 per day. Doesn't take a genius to figure out that that's about $4200 bux a year tax paid income. I quit again 4 months ago and can now say that I don't get up every day thinking about a smoke. It does get easier and that's a promise. Hang in there and do reward yourself from time to time. Let's see 4 months @ $4200.00 bux per year thats $1400. I've got to spend on new guitar equipment. Looks like that bass axe is going to be cheap after all.!! GOOD LUCK to you.
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Well I'm now into day 4, having gone 73hours 37mins and 23 - 24 no 25 wait 30!!! secs without the dreaded weed....

Today, for the first time, I smelled someone else's smoke and thought "YEEEUK!!!!" - this is a good sign. Today I found 3 cigarettes in a packet in a drawer, crumpled up the packet and threw it out...this is also a good sign. Today I went into a shop with money in my pocket and the words "20 Richmond Superkings" did not tumble from my lips...this is yet another good sign.

Still not temperamental, irascible, irritable....

Between me and Marilyn though, we have consumed:

1 large box Jelly Babies
1 large box Wine Gums
1 tin Basset's liquorice allsorts
1/2 a box of midget gems (like very chewy wine gums)
1/2 a box of Chocolate Eclairs
and lots of mints.....

73hrs, 47mins and still counting....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

mmmm jelly babies

fruit pastilles
orange aero bars

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Thanks for the support guys, 2 days down and a lifetime to go

Great way to look at it Tele. Hang tough, you can do it! 8)
Well I'm now into day 4, having gone 73hours 37mins and 23 - 24 no 25 wait 30!!! secs without the dreaded weed....

Today, for the first time, I smelled someone else's smoke and thought "YEEEUK!!!!" - this is a good sign. Today I found 3 cigarettes in a packet in a drawer, crumpled up the packet and threw it out...this is also a good sign. Today I went into a shop with money in my pocket and the words "20 Richmond Superkings" did not tumble from my lips...this is yet another good sign.

I know what you mean about the smell of cigarette smoke Vic. Once I quit, I couldn't stand the smell anymore. That is a good sign. :D Keep it up. You're doing great!! :D 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

Today I went into a shop with money in my pocket and the words "20 Richmond Superkings" did not tumble from my lips...this is yet another good sign.

LOL, I actually did that once, about 2 weeks into quitting. I went into the convience store to pay for some gas, and out of habit said, "...and a pack of Salem Light 100s, please. Oh, wait, no no!!"

The clerk got quite a kick out of that one :D

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Hang tough guys your doing great. 8)

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Hang in there guys like they say " The first cut is the deepest "

You have made the first cut ...ie to cut out smoking ....

Dedication is all you need .... not jelly livered like me ....

When things get tough the tough get going ...

Supporting your quest all the way from Australia guys ....

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Day three, things a bit better, not as edgy. I spent most of last night coughing up 30 years of smoke residue from my lungs after trying to excersize to keep occupied.

As I said, I've been taking the money I'm not spending smoking and saving it. I've been tossing it in a coffee tin with the intention of taking it to the bank each week to deposit it, but after looking in the can last night when I threw the days $5 in I think I'm just going to keep it in the can. It really hit home how much I've been pissing away smoking when you see it piling up like that :roll:

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 20