GN Smokers Support

287 Posts
41 Users
0 Likes
39.9 K Views
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I'm not a smoker, but (and call me crazy) I really enjoy the smell of a burning cigarette, cigar, or pipe.

But yeah, good for you guys that are quitting, that's awesome. I get pretty angry that people my age ( 18 ) and younger are still smoking. I can understand if you started when people weren't fully aware of how bad they are for your health, but the kids my age have no excuse. Makes me mad!

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Sure they have Taso. Just the fact that it is bad for your health doesn't mean people shouldn't do it. And some people might just decide that the joys of tobacco, or whatever comes with it, overrule the health risks, financial costs etc. That's a personal choice, and as long as they don't smoke where other's are effected it's their, and noone else's, business.

Anyway: Good luck quitting! :D

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Sure they have Taso. Just the fact that it is bad for your health doesn't mean people shouldn't do it. And some people might just decide that the joys of tobacco, or whatever comes with it, overrule the health risks, financial costs etc. That's a personal choice, and as long as they don't smoke where other's are effected it's their, and noone else's, business.

Anyway: Good luck quitting! :D

I used to feel the same way, Arjen, but after consulting further research about how secondhand smoke and passive smoking affects non-smokers' health, I no longer think it's so simple. And watching my mother die of lung cancer certainly made me feel differently about her choices. I feel as though I lost her and my children lost their grandmother to a particularly insidious addiction. It's an addiction that in the long run is as destructive as alcoholism -- a condition that's rarely considered to be a matter of personal preference.

Just my two cents' worth.

Quitting is hard but it's certainly worthwhile. And no one who begins smoking as a matter of personal choice (as I did) ever realizes how difficult withdrawal is or how badly the addiction will affect their health over the years.

Tim

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Exactly. Second hand smoke is a big problem. I'm very happy with the measures Bloomberg has taken in New York, making it so one cannot smoke in any public building. I hear the next step is no smoking 30 feet infront of a public building. Not only is it bad for people who don't smoke, it's also bad for the environment, so really, no matter where anyone smokes, it affects everyone.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

I lasted 2 days with out a smoke ........

I'm back huffing and puffing just as bad as ever before .......

The is no will power but plenty of won't power

Sorry team but I fell over maybe try again later in the year .....

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

A friend of mine used this
http://www.freeclear.com/
and said that they just didn't feel like smoking after using it (after the "three day hump"). He quit smoking a few months ago and just doesn't have the urge anymore.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Here is a bit encouragement for you boys giving up smoking ...

It's my latest offering in SSG ....You might want to use it as a bit of theme song :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chorus

What were you thinking
I bet you had been drinking
Tell me you were only joking
When you said you were going to
quit smoking

Verse

20 years of your smoking
5 minutes of your joking
making promises you would not keep
Your lies hurt so deep

Chorus

What were you thinking
quit smoking

verse

That smell that lingers
Those yellow stains upon your fingers
You always have that cough
Your promises are so soft

Chorus

What were you thinking
quit smoking

................................................................................................

Just add your own music to it that should keep your hands busy for a little while anyway ........

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Day 2, my wife and daughter have graciously agreed to ignore any poor behaviour on my part, and I find myself getting increasingly irratable. I am beginning to notice patterns of when the cravings get worse and am trying to avoid those situations as much as possible. Like when I have coffee, now I am not going to go thru caffeine withdrawal as well, but I did have some toast with my coffee this morning instead of a smoke. Having a drink or 3 has always been my downfall in the past with quitting so I am avoiding drinking till I feel I truly have this licked. The worst I have found though, is the drive to and from work, about 40 minutes each way. I am so used to popping in a CD and having a couple of smokes on the drive, and being in the car driving it's not like I can pick up a guitar to distract myself until the urge passes. Gonna have to figure out something for this one.
When Keith RIchards said it was easier to quit heroin than tobacco he wasn't joking!

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

From Nils - "Finally a smokers support forum. Anyone know where I can get Marlboro lights cheap" - I laughed my ar8e off at that, well done first great joke of the year!!

I have quit MANY times. Unfortunately, I have started smoking many times + 1. The last post is interesting, about giving up heroin being easier than nicotine. Its probably accurate. Think about how much heroin a user gets into their system in one hit - a fair bit. From a ciggy you get a tiny amount of nicotine. So fair play to anyone that gives up. It isn't easy, and anyone that says it is has never truly been addicted.

I WILL give up this year, for sure. I have to. My body is telling me to. But it has to be on my terms, not on anyone else's.

One of my big problems is I like to have a ciggy when playing guitar. And driving. And drinking. Oh, and breathing......

I really do wish everyone the best of luck, keep on the straight and narrow guys!

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

But it has to be on my terms, not on anyone else's.
That is the ONLY way you'll ever give it up completely. When I gave up, there'd been a budget that had raised the price of ciggies yet again, which really bugged me. One evening, I was at my then girlfriend's house and had 2 cigs in the packet. I decided that I'd have one then and the last one, when I went home - and, after that, I'd quit. So I did. For me, the "time" was right.
After that I had the occasional cigar, but no more ciggies.
Oddly, I couldn't drink beer for a couple of months, because the taste was so strong (Tetleys phoned a few times to find out what was wrong with me ;) ). I also had trouble eating (particularly fish'n'chips), for the same reason (and the smell of food was, suddenly, so overpowering).

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Greybeard

I totally agree, that's how its got to be. You can't do these things to please other people, its got to be a personal choice to give up, and when to.

I remember my Grandad saying he would give up Embassy Number 1's the day they reached £1 a packet. And he did, and never smoked again.

The food and drink point you make is interesting. Amazing how messed up our taste buds must get to have this much effect!

All the best

Matt

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Noticing that mine and Rahul's posts were deleted, I am guessing that maybe what was therapeutic for me and my efforts to join in and maybe quit myself may not have been useful for anyone else.

I guess I will go elsewhere for my support.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Nils

Its not that.

Its just the mods want cheap fags for themselves.....

:wink:

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I quit smoking 10 years ago this Jan. 15th, after 26 years of smoking 1-2 packs a day :D :D :D It was a real drag( pun intended) But its gets better each day!!!!!!! If you don't make it the first time, just try again!!!!( now, not next jan. :lol: ).
YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

^ So it's really 'non-smokindog' then
(couldn't help it...)

Lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 20