Notifications
Clear all

Guitar Amp

11 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@yankos243)
Topic starter  

First let me start by saying Merry Christmas and happy holidays!!!!!!!! Right now im in need of a guitar amp. I am clueless to whats what when it comes to amps so i need some input. I mostly play modern, classic, rock, blues and metal music. Also i have minimal space in my house so it cant be a stack which would be killer but will not happen right now. My friend was telling me that sometimes bass amps can sound better than regular guitar amps is this true? Which would be better tube amp or solid state whats the difference sound wise? Also i dont do any gigs as of now so its more less just around the house amp;as of now i have just these questions but im sure ill have more posted in the future. Thanks everyone for the input and happy holidays tooo ALLLL!

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Lots of folks on here own the Vox AD30VT amp and are very happy with it. It is small and portable (but not that small) and offers a wide variety of tones. It gets very good reviews and most say it sounds great. It can be played at low volumes, but has the power and volume to play an Open Mic or small venue.

Vox AD30VT

And Merry Christmas to you too. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@rnroutlaw1)
Eminent Member

Merry Xmas! If I were you I would go with a Line 6 Spider 2 30 watt amp. A friend of mine has one and I have heard it quite a few times. I believe it is a step up from a starter amp but that is a good thing because when starting out it is very important that you enjoy your playing experience. With the spider 2 amp you can get alot of different sounds to come out of your guitar. There is sure to be a setting on it that you would enjoy which is very important to keeping the desire and excitement of learning to play. Also it is perfect for apartments or places where you don't need high volume levels. But it will surprise you if you want to crank it up though!

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Lots of folks on here own the Vox AD30VT amp and are very happy with it.

I second that one .. I've got it, it's great, can emulate a variety of amps so that you can figure out what you like..

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Roland amps are pretty good - the Micro-cube (5W) and the 15w and 30W Cubes are all digital modelling amps....and if you like hard rock and metal, you'll LOVE the "Metal" and "Metal Stack" settings.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@hanzo)
Trusted Member

I like the Vox amps a lot. I have a Marshall MG15DFX that I use as my practice amp. It sounds pretty good too and is pretty compact.

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

I hate to keep mentioning musiciansfriend.com but I go there a lot. I am not a sales rep. Anyway MF has some Roland Cubes on sale.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@jtb226)
Estimable Member

i have the vox AD30VT for my practice amp and really like it. tons of possibilities and i don't have to hook up my whole rig. great features for the money too!

"Heavy decibels are playing on my guitar
We got vibrations comin' up from the floor
We're just listenin' to the rock
That's givin' too much noise....
Rock and roll ain't noise pollution"
~AC/DC

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

If you need it fairly compact but might still want to gig a small bar with it then the Vox AD30VT is an excellent piece of kit. Also, check out the Marshall MG30DFX, for roughly the same money; it sounds like a Marshall ought to sound and I've seen a few being gigged.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

The Vox AD and Roland Cube gets my vote. IMHO you can't do any worse then a Line6 SpiderII or III amp, it's response to your playing is so hopelessly pathetic that it will probably seriously hurt your technique. If you want a tube amp check out the Epiphone Valve Junior. Very basic but it has a great sound.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I just got one of the Roland 30s. I like it alot.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote