Clear all

Has anybody else heard about this?

186 Posts
57 Users
0 Likes
85 K Views
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I'm pretty sure that "Silent Night " is in the public domain., Unless of course someone got congress to extend music copyright to over 200 years( extending the Sony Bono's widow needs more money act) :roll: --the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Ahhhhh mannnnnnn! :lol: I'm trying to scare the masses. They don't have no clue what a public domain is...

That's my excuse, anyways. :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Alright, Alright! Back to the drawing board.

ReplyQuote
(@dz111)

This is insane. First - I cannot play & sing like the original songwriter. I play to entertain myself.

I wish that musicians could withdraw their support from organizations like this. The problem is that the few who "make it big" tend to deal with the devil - and most bands on their way up are willing to sign most anything to help them grow - which makes me feel bad if I were to boycott the purchase of MPA controlled music/concert/promo material purchases. But maybe not THAT bad.

I think the best response to idiots like this is to make them feel it in their wallets if possible...
Maybe if a WHOLE bunch of dedicated people filed lawsuits all over the county against them for various reasons - it would distract from their power. Hmmmm.....

ReplyQuote
(@dz111)

:roll: I was just practicing and thought to myself - I like the "G" chord. So, just so you know, I have copyrighted it. If you wish to use a "G" chord in your music, then you owe me royalties. Sorry. 5 cents per strum. (It is a very rich sounding chord.) I will probably have to copyright any transitions from any other chord or note to "G" as well. Each one is a seperate song for me.

I'll be sending a bill the the MPA for their artists use of my music.

I don't really care for "F" - so I will leave the transition from F or F# to G in the public domain.

Anything else and you owe me money.

:twisted:

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

:roll: I was just practicing and thought to myself - I like the "G" chord. So, just so you know, I have copyrighted it. If you wish to use a "G" chord in your music, then you owe me royalties. Sorry. 5 cents per strum. (It is a very rich sounding chord.) I will probably have to copyright any transitions from any other chord or note to "G" as well. Each one is a seperate song for me.

I'll be sending a bill the the MPA for their artists use of my music.

I don't really care for "F" - so I will leave the transition from F or F# to G in the public domain.

Anything else and you owe me money.

:twisted:

Welcome dz111,

I copywrited the I IV V chord progression last week. The lawsuit papers are in the mail...SORRY. :lol:

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

What about "tape recorders". I remember recording my favorite songs that were on the radio so I could put them on a single tape and listen to them when ever where ever I wanted to. Wasn't that a violation......... and where were they then......... :?

It's all a bunch of BS!!!

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

It's all a bunch of BS!!!
It sure is.

All they need to do is figure out a way to catch illegal copies of published tabs and leave the "interpreters" alone and everyone would be happy. Actually not since it is the publishers that want to own publishing tabs and eliminate the free ones so there is more profit for them.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

oh, they were screaming about tape recorders then - they lobbied hard to make taping illegal in the 1960s! They didn't succeed that time...

But they did the same thing when recordable CD players came out, and had a bit more success: in 1992 the U.S. Congress passed a law that collects $8 from the sale of any digital recording device, and 3% of the sales price for any digital media (DAT tapes, CDs, etc.). That money goes into a fund that supposedly pays copyright owners. In exchange for that money, copyright holders agreed not to sue folks for making home recordings for personal use.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin

Then why don't they just collect a fee from websites that reproduce tabs? Instead of threatening to throw people in jail?

Guitar Noises Newsletter

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Isn't that the direction they are heading? If you think about it, they (the site owners) will be thrown in jail IF they don't pay the royalties......... No?

Unfortunately, lawyers have to be brought in to help get the point across that feeble minded people can't because they are too caught up in their own BS.

Copywrites, I have no problem with, but to me, this is going above and beyond.

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Isn't that the direction they are heading? If you think about it, they (the site owners) will be thrown in jail IF they don't pay the royalties......... No?

Unfortunately, lawyers have to be brought in to help get the point across that feeble minded people can't because they are too caught up in their own BS.

Copywrites, I have no problem with, but to me, this is going above and beyond.

Actually, I don't think they can throw any one in jail. This is a civil type action, not a criminal charge. They can threaten jail time, but they are just blowing smoke up you know where :twisted: :evil:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin

Yeah, scare tactics. But lots of sites have closed already so it's working. We should all respect the copyright holders, not the shareholders.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

ReplyQuote
 klim
(@klim)
Reputable Member

Okay, I didn't read most of this post, primarily because I know what to expect. But here's my story, today I just bought the "No Direction Home" DVD and just finished watching it (I watched the PBS version when it aired) again. Great deal $13.00 bucks Canadian for two DVD's.

However I was going to post a review and then I thought to look up some tabs on http://www.dylanchords.com and lo and behold, he went and shut his tab's down a couple of weeks ago, due the lawsuit.

This means that the Lennonchords is also down as he started to host the Lennon tabs sometime early this year.

You can read his blog here:

http://www.dylanchords.com/

view the blog

How is anyone supposed to learn anything anymore. Where do they (MPA), think that all the great guitarists of the last 30 years learned their music from????

Damn, I buy more music now that I'm playing guitar. For almost ten years, I didn't buy, listen or was even interested in music, mainly becuase of the downfall of vinyl albums (mainly because I would have to rebuy everything I own again on CD's). But in the last two years, because of learning to play and finding new music, I've been buying CD's.

When's it going to end????

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

the music publishers are being stupid and shortsighted. under capitalism it's all about supply and demand. there is obiously a big demand for online tab so someone will be there to supply it. what the music publishers should be doing is to fulfill the demand so, in my opinion, they should be trying to work with the tab sites, not trying to shut them down. free tab is great but if i had to pay a dollar for a tab that i wanted, i'd pay. something like itunes....

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

free tab is great but if i had to pay a dollar for a tab that i wanted, i'd pay. something like itunes....

They already have things like this - I don't recall the exact site (or sites) but you can purchase individual songs like you could sheet music back in the day. It can come in notation or TAB or both.
How is anyone supposed to learn anything anymore. Where do they (MPA), think that all the great guitarists of the last 30 years learned their music from????

Actually, most of the "great guitarists" of the last thirty years probably didn't learn from free tabs. Most interviews you read tell the story of sitting around trying to figure things out by ear or by going to shows and watching other guitarists.

Say what you will about TAB, free or not, while it's helped a lot of people develop as guitarists in terms of copying other musicians, it's stunted a lot of creative growth. But that's an entirely different argument that few people want to address...

Peace

ReplyQuote
Page 7 / 13