Clear all

Help comparing two Agile guitars

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@bgdaddy316)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I would like opinions on the two guitars below: the Agile Dauntless and the Agile 2500. It looks to me that the two significant differences are the pickups and the body (One is 3-play, the other is 2-ply.

http://www.rondomusic.com/product1756.html

http://www.rondomusic.com/product2894.html

Any opinions on which may be a better value or strengths and weaknesses of the two guitars would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Seems a toss up doesn't it. Hmmmmm........... All I can tell you is you can't go wrong with either one. I have an AL2000 and it is a very good guitar. I have had nothing but good dealings with Rondo.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

If I had to make the choice, I'd take the Dauntless.

Why? The Dauntless has Seymour Duncan pickups, the 2500 has no-names. It doesn't, necessarily, mean that they're worse than SDs, I'd just feel more confident in what I'm getting.

The other factor would be the nut. TUSQ is a good material, specially designed to emulate bone. Graphite comes into its own when using a tremolo, which these don't have.

These are my own, purely personal, reasons.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I would choose the Dauntless also, mainly for the pickups which are Alnico 5, rather than the 2500's Ceramics.

This is interesting to see all the models including yours compared side to side. http://www.rondomusic.com/alspec.html

I wouldn't know if the advertised Seymour Duncan's are made in the USA, or overseas in the Orient, but that is a moot point.

Oh, here they are, Duncan Designed meaning made overseas, the 101 is a copy of the '59 for the http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/duncan-designed/vintage-2/hb101/ neck and the 102 is like a JB for the bridge. http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/duncan-designed/progressive-2/hb102/ Maybe Agile got the N and B reversed in their ad, no matter, maybe intended?

Both have excellent attention to detail and quality, but again, it is my opinion, as expressed similarly by Greybeard, that I prefer the Agile Dauntless.

That is, unless you are going to play super Heavy Hard Hock and Metal; then the ceramics pack more punch, plus the graphite nut is very cool. Indian Rosewood too.

Yet a player named Slash swears by his SD Alnico 2's and puts clean sound before mega, mind boggling effects. Awesome!
I also find it useful, and it is always validating to know from owners, in this case TRGuitar, that the guitar brand is good, performs well, and the seller is reliable and trustworthy.

I owned one of these Les Paul clones as a Washburn, have tried Jay Turser, had Tokai's (still have the first one) and also had one like shown in your pics, before Rondo took over, and re-dubbed them with their own brand (I think it is exclusive) - the "Agile".

There seems to be a common denominator, and common manufacturing sources for the different brand names, which eventually ends up tampoed or silk-screened onto the headstock. And regardless of choice of name, the design, specs and parts are nearly the same? 8)

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

this echoes some of Bluejay's comments.

I would not automatically choose the SD, as it's a YMMV situation. the ceramic pups are probably higher output. if you are a metal or high gain player, that's usually the choice to get best drive and noise rejection (important in high gain: start with biggest signal possible). if you player lower gain rock, jazz, blues, then choose the SD alnico V, as the tone will likely be nicer.

I would be surprised if these are not "Duncan Designed" pups, which are lower tier, more economical versions of Duncans. and they are not always as good. I recommend calling Rondo and asking about that.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@bgdaddy316)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone. I probably will go with the Dauntless. First of all, Dauntless is a cool name. I'm not a metal guy, so I don't need the higher output. Ironically, Slash has one of my favorite tones. I also like the flame finish over the quilt.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Like TR said, whichever you think appeals to you most is the one to go for. I'll bet you'll be happy with either one.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Thanks everyone. I probably will go with the Dauntless. First of all, Dauntless is a cool name. I'm not a metal guy, so I don't need the higher output. Ironically, Slash has one of my favorite tones. I also like the flame finish over the quilt.
Have you made a decision yet? I tend to like the quilted top better and the binding on the AL-2500 includes the headstock.

The only other comparisons I can make is the AL-2500 states the quality of the tuners, the Dauntless doesn't.

The Dauntless is also claimed to be made in Korea. Does that mean the AL-2500 is made some where else and is that good or bad?

Here's another spec chart that might help some.

http://www.rondomusic.com/alspec.html

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@bgdaddy316)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Bish,

I did. I decided to go with the Dauntless. It is scheduled to arrive today. I'll post again once I've spent some quality time with it.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

COOL!!

Can't wait for some pix and reviews.

Good for you, BD!!

I've heard nothing but good reviews on Agile...and from people I respect on GN, none the less. :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote