Notifications
Clear all

How Anal Are You About New Guitars?

40 Posts
28 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Bish, it sounds like you don't really wanna get rid of that SG. :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I just recently hit the plateau of analness.

Analness ?

Don't worry Bish, we still have the 'mountains' left...:lol:

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

I have no problem when my acoustics get banged around a little. I have a Fender that is pretty old and its beaten to death but still sounds pretty good, and looks terrific with all its scars.

BUT, I dont want my electric getting any scratches.. Not to the point that I dont play it.. but I am careful about who comes around me.

Jim

I"m just the opposite. I am very careful with my acoustics but I knock around my electrics all the time. I figure that a good bang to my acoustic and it's going to crack. I don't want any nicks in it at all. I can't wait till the finish gets all worn down from playing though, cause that looks cool.
I have a brown-burst Strat that's only a year old that has some marks in it. I'd probably really have to bang it around to affect how it sounds.

I also have a 1981 Ibanez Artist that has a ton of scratches, nicks, chips (you can see the wood underneath) and rust on the hardware (just a little), worn spots, pick scratches (no pickguard) missing screws for the covers, and the gold is chipping and wearing away on the bridge and the tuners. The neck is straight though (I don't know how). It weighs a ton and it still sounds as good as it did 25 years ago!

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I have no problem when my acoustics get banged around a little. I have a Fender that is pretty old and its beaten to death but still sounds pretty good, and looks terrific with all its scars.

I"m just the opposite. I am very careful with my acoustics but I knock around my electrics all the time.

All this discussion is making me G.A.S. for one of these again.

I had posted about it last year but havent done anything about it yet. 2007 may be the year. Hum, does Tomkins ship to the US?

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

I USED to really care about the appearance of my axes but then real life ended up happening, I had five kids in my home and the one rule I had is that if they wanted to play one of my guitars, then they had to show some respect for them, other than that, no other rules other than making sure that the cats wern't too truamatized! :shock: 8) They watched out for them really well, but, the house would get "a little" hyper at times! Accidents happen, oh well!

I have had and do have some really nice instruments, but the ones I seem to gravitate to the most are the ones that have had a lot of battle scars, including my custom made Buckel. Which is irreplacable. (Tom Buckel retired quite a few years ago.)

My thoughts were that my kids positive exposure to playing was even more irreplaceable....

This doesn't mean that I'm careless, it just means that all my guitars still sound and play the same even though they probabily won't win any beauty contests, and, I almost have enough family members to challenge the Jackson clan! :lol:

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

I use to be extremely anal about my guitars, not just when they're new.

But as I have continued my journey I have almost wanted my older electric to get beat up to give it character and make it look like it has "seen a thing or two"! But I still can't bring myself to purposefully scratch or dent it, so whatever damage naturally happens I am actually a little excited about.

Which is quite liberating as oposed to me worrying about the most minute hair-line scratch.

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Interesting topic.

I dont really care about scratches at all, never really have. But im not gonna go taking baseball bat to it. I did let a buddy of mine rough up my bass one night just because he was bored and I didnt care. I took a swing or two at it and thats the extent of it. Scratches and dents do effect a guitar much, they do make it look cool i think. But yeah, thats my 2 cents.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member

"Anal" is appropriate. Almost. I'm like that with everything, though. Nobody borrows (or touches) my CDs, for example. They value their life too much.

I'd like to lighten up and have a guitar I don't worry about. Guess I'll have to find another one under the Christmas tree... :D

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

You toucha my Fenda

I breaka your face

Is that being anal ? :lol:

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@decieved)
Trusted Member

i used to be anal about new guitars. if there was a scratch, i would flip out, but id always be too lazy to actually fix it :D now,i dont really care about the appearance of guitars that much. as long as they feel and sound nice, im satisfied

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3