Clear all

How Music Works

22 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I found this on another site, but thought that it was very very interesting and informative in how music really works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DPnbOWi6f_IM

There's a whole series on melody, bass, precussion etc. The whole thing is like 48 minutes long I think.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

hey, thanks for the link.
the presentation is good.
I'll watch the rest. 8)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I think this was originally a BBC show that they decided to put on youtube. They make mention of it in the notes I think that there is no interest in putting it on dvd so they put it up on you tube. Very good explanations and how the convey the ideas is very good.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Excellent! :D

Thanks for posting the link Joe. I've bookmarked it, and I'll work through them all over the next few days. If they ever showed it here I missed it, and it looks well worth viewing.

Good to have a narrator who knows what he's talking about for a change too (Howard Goodall is a composer himself, not just a TV talking head). Howard Goodall.

Interesting that he mentioned the particular pentatonic scale that you find on the black notes of the piano, as those are the ones that one of America's most succesful songwriters of all time used to compose on. Irving Berlin. Intriguing story in itself...

Thanks again,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

I went through the melody segment and found it very interesting and even helpful. I'm going to go through the rest of them, hopefully in order. Imdb has the whole thing listed, so I am going to check if there is a dvd. I hope so, and if there is I am going to get it. Usually every TV presentation these days is on dvd.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Great post. I watched a few more and each one got more interesting. Well worth the time to watch!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Excellent link, Joe.
I've watched the ones on Melody.
And I watched two that Goodall did on The Beatles. That was fascinating too.
I intend to go back and finish both series.

Thanks for the post.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Thanks for posting that! That was alot more interesting then I expected, and only watched the melody part of the show. It's a shame they don't play more shows on tv like this where I live.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

You can't beat good presentation on dull subjects. Fortunately this isn't an entirely dull subject.
I am going to check if there is a dvd. I hope so, and if there is I am going to get it.

Sorry Minotaur, no DVD according to the notes on the youtube side. But you cold always download the YouTube video and do it yourself. :D

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Really enjoying these, Joe.
Thanks for the link. 8)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

You can't beat good presentation on dull subjects. Fortunately this isn't an entirely dull subject.
I am going to check if there is a dvd. I hope so, and if there is I am going to get it.

Sorry Minotaur, no DVD according to the notes on the youtube side. But you cold always download the YouTube video and do it yourself. :D

Yeah, I Googled for it and no go. How do you download a Youtube video? I didn't think it could be done. That would be fantastic. Send only e-mails the url. So far what I've done is added each installment to a new Favorites folder I created. I made sure the names were consistent so they stay in order.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

How do you download a Youtube video? I didn't think it could be done.

Downloading them isn't the problem - your computer more or less does that to play them. The difficulty would be in getting it in the right format.

With a Windows machine, a video ends up in the Temporary Internet cache on your hard drive. If you know how and where to look you can copy it out and rename it from the gobbeldygook it will have been assigned and call it something like "HMW Melody 1" and so on. That's easy enough, but the default Windows players won't play it, so you have to find a VLC player (there's a free one kicking around). So far so good, you can now save all 20 videos (over 3 hours worth ) and replay them at your leisure.

However, because they have all been compressed and changed from the format that you'd get on a DVD you'd presumably have to find some way of stitching them back together and converting them again, if you really wanted them that way. They would also likely to be of pretty poor quality once they were displayed on a full TV screen again. I imagine that the files on a DVD would be much larger than the compressed or 'cut down' version for Youtube. As they are, the 3 hours adds up to only 450 megs or so.

All 20 are listed at the poster's site, so just bookmarking that is probably the easiest way to go. Timegrinders videos

The running order was Melody, Rhythm, Harmony, Bass.

Looks like he's got a feast of other good stuff there too. :)

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Oy vey! :shock: That's at least as complicated as trying to upload from an iPod back to the computer. I had a write up on it, but I'd rather stick pins in my eyes. I think I'll just keep the videos bookmarked in order. :lol: Thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

How do you download a Youtube video? I didn't think it could be done.

Sites like vixy.net allow you convert youtube files to the format of your choice.
If you save them in avi or mpeg format you can play them on a divx compatible dvd player. Just write the files on a disc like you would any data and the player finds them, no problem.
I bought my player maybe 3 years ago for about 100 bucks and never looked back.
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Sites like vixy.net allow you convert youtube files to the format of your choice.
If you save them in avi or mpeg format you can play them on a divx compatible dvd player. Just write the files on a disc like you would any data and the player finds them, no problem.

Aha! :)

Thanks for that. So is a "divx compatible dvd player" mainly for use in a computer drive or is it something that you would use with a regular home TV setup? And what's the quality like when Youtube stuff is converted back again and played at a full screen size? Does that work well enough to be worth viewing, or do you need to keep the size down?

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2