Clear all

How to be creative

9 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Here's a very cool article I read called "How to be Creative": http://www.gapingvoid.com/Moveable_Type/archives/000932.html

I think the people here might find it interesting. It's pretty long, though.

(@indiana_jonesin)
Estimable Member

bookmarked-I'll get back to it. Thanks.

"Yes and an old guitar is all that he can afford,
when he gets up under the lights to play his thing..."-Dire Straits
http://www.myspace.com/misterpete42

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

there are some "adult" words there in case anyone may get offended by a little language. Some interesting points of view by the author.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

To be creative, listen to variety of music.Then you can get ideas about finding those different types of melodies on the guitar, to make your music more interesting.

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

To be creative, listen to variety of music.Then you can get ideas about finding those different types of melodies on the guitar, to make your music more interesting.

I agree 100%. Great method.

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Here's a very cool article I read called "How to be Creative": http://www.gapingvoid.com/Moveable_Type/archives/000932.html

I think the people here might find it interesting. It's pretty long, though.

I liked the guys' cartoons, and some of what he said was good, but as you say it was a bit long. I think he'd added whole bunch of shorter stuff that he'd posted bit by bit and made it into one long collection. The result was a bit too "Let me tell you just how stupid and unimaginative everybody else is, and just how smart and insightful I am in comparison"...

He should have edited it down to a fraction of the length, and done a bit less of the "This worked for me, so it must be some sort of universal truth for the world" tone - but, hey, who am I to talk, I like a good waffle too. Plus the guy does work in an ad agency. :wink:

Oddly enough he really didn't shed much light on the How of being creative which is a pretty hard thing to teach or explain. I thought that Rahul's two sentences above said as much about being creative as the guy's several pages did. Explore as wide a range of experiences and influences as you can, let your imagination go, and and don't be afraid to experiment.

Apparently the composer Sir Arnold Bax once said "You should make a point of trying every experience once - except incest and folk dancing". I've tried to follow that, although to be honest I might even risk a bit of folk dancing one day... :wink:

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

I think Chris C has it down. These are all basically the same point:

19. Sing in your own voice.

22. Nobody cares. Do it for yourself.

25. You have to find your own schtick.

26. Write from the heart.

27. The best way to get approval is not to need it.

That said, worrying about whether you're cool enough is definitely a creative killer. So it's a point well taken. 5 times...
:wink:

Don

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I'm surprised no one has pointed out :

10. The more talented somebody is, the less they need the props.

AKA, the anti-GAS

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

Some of the points that I liked:
You have to find a way of working that makes it dead easy to take full advantage of your inspired moments. They never hit at a convenient time, nor do they last long.

Conversely, neither should you fret too much about writer's block, artist's block, or whatever. If you're looking at a blank piece of paper and nothing comes to you, then go do something else. Writer's block is just a symptom of feeling like you have nothing to say, combined with the rather weird idea that you SHOULD feel the need to say something.

Why? If you have something to say, then say it. If not, enjoy the silence while it lasts. The noise will return soon enough. I the meantime, you're better off going out into the big, wide world, having some adventures and refilling your well. Trying to create when you don't feel like it is like making conversation for the sake of making conversation. It's not really connecting, it's just droning on like an old, drunken barfly.

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote