Clear all

How to dampen sound quick easily and inexpensively

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@threegtrz)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I have a little room in the basement which has a workbench and some hand tools. This is also my "music room" containing my guitars, keys and mandolin.

This room is also directly beneath the TV room on the main floor.

If I practice on my electric or keys it's no sweat because everything feeds into the headphones. If I practice on my 12-String acoustic or mandolin, doors start closing and feet start stomping upstairs for me to quiet down so my wife can hear Jack Bauer get shot again on "24". Both instruments have pickups, but they also have very productive sound holes.

I would like to practice these instruments without schlepping them out to the garage where no one hears me except the cicadas. Anything I can do to soften the room sonically?

m

(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

This thread may help:

http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?t=32743

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Expensive to do a whole the room - cheaper to just soundproof the wife. :wink:

Could you persuade her that TV headphones are really THE latest thing, would improve her viewing pleasure, and make her the envy of the neighbours??

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

How can you blame her? 24 is a great show, though this year is a little slow.

I'd ask her to get some headphones or something, though.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

The former owner of my house glued acoustic ceiling tiles to the ceiling of the basement music room. Definitely helps.

Also, if there's a heating/air condition vent in the ceiling, you might want to close it and put a ceiling tile over it, with some insulation in between. The sound will carry right up the ducts. Use velcro or something so it's not permanent.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

i agree with chris, but if my wife was looking over my shoulder, i would still agree with chris :lol:

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote