Clear all

How'd I Miss That?

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

OK...So I'm sitting at my desk (working) and listening to the Frank Zappa station I created in Pandora. Next thing I know, this really cool blues tune comes on. "Who's that?" I wonder. Happens to be a song from Mick Taylor's first solo album released in 1992. Amazing. How'd I Miss That? Based on what I've heard, this sounds like its a great album that I've missed out on for 16 years. The guy is a great guitarist!

That's one of he cool things about Pandora. I've discovered so many new artists, bands and old albums from this one site its amazing. So the question to you is, what artist or band have you recently been turned on to? May be a new artist or one of those "How'd I Miss That?" kind of things.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Things can get buried deep. Really deep. Blink your eyes and you miss things. I still stumble onto some band or act someone here mentions and read a wiki on them only to find out that they'ver sold 35 million albums or something.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

That's true. But Mick Taylor? That's kinda like a "Duh, didn't you know he had solo albums out?" I should have been aware of that one at least! Don't get me wrong, I love finding these things that may have been completely common to most but unknown to me. Especially when it's so good.

For example...(if you can) give a listen to the Buckethead album - "Colma". Its a great CD. All instramental and different stuff on there. I've played this in my home and anyone that's heard it would ask about it. But as soon as I say "Its Buckethead",,...they squint their eyes at me like Clint Eastwood. :lol:

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I didn't know until this year that Wyman did a solo thing. Yeah, there's a whole host of things buried, and I'm sure it's all genres. It's all out there. Hell, You Tube alone has been a great eye opener just with off the wall covers. My wife and I copnstantly ask each other how we found things. The answer is always the same. NO CLUE. Just click and click and click.

I use XM radio and am connected through my PC for home use upstairs. There are some great stations. Deep Tracks is one. Some of the other stations I can go for many songs before coming across one I don't own on CD. With Deep Tracks, I can go for an hour or two without hitting one I own. Awesome stuff.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I didn't know until this year that Wyman did a solo thing. Yeah, there's a whole host of things buried, and I'm sure it's all genres. It's all out there. Hell, You Tube alone has been a great eye opener just with off the wall covers. My wife and I copnstantly ask each other how we found things. The answer is always the same. NO CLUE. Just click and click and click.

I would love to get ahold of YouTube's database and do some analysis on the paths people take from point A to point B. I know I've wasted hours on there and had session that start with watching a live version of a song and ends with funny pet videos and I can't for the life of me remember how I bridged that gap.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I would love to get ahold of YouTube's database and do some analysis on the paths people take from point A to point B. I know I've wasted hours on there and had session that start with watching a live version of a song and ends with funny pet videos and I can't for the life of me remember how I bridged that gap.

Throw a few nested cursors in there, click the arrow and go home. :lol: :lol:

Hmmm, imagine the size of the denormalized database you'd need to create to run decent queries? Ouch!

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Charlie Watts has a side gig too. Has a Big Band that he tours with when the Stones are off the road

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Oh Yeah, I totally spaced that one.

Think we'll see anything else out of any of 'em? I'd love to see a new 'Wino's come around.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

So much stuff, so little time.... :shock:

It's the same with books. I've read thousands of them, but the list of stuff I missed will always be vastly bigger than the ones I've had the chance to enjoy. :(

I walk into the local CD shop and see rack after rack of stuff I won't ever have time to explore. I think I'll have to start believing in re-incarnation, or discover the Fountain of Eternal Youth or something. Hell, I'd settle for finding the Fountain of Eternal Middle Age...

Chris

ReplyQuote