Clear all

Humbucker

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I'll post pics when I get some taken, but I have recently come across an Ibanez Artcore semi-hollow. The bridge pickup is right about where I like it, but I'd like something a little different in the neck. The stock pickup is an ACH1 in the neck.

The characteristics I'd like to change most are the fact that it overdrives a little harder than I'd like (pushes my amp to overdrive quite a bit earlier than some other humbuckers I have owned), and it is too bassy. I'd appreciate any suggestions anyone has, since I'll be at a guitar trade show this weekend and will be looking around (and I get paid Friday, which means Sarah's going to hate me Saturday ;) )

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I assume you've already played with the pickup height and still can't get the tone you want, so check out the Dimarzio EJ Custom; I think it's their lowest output humbucker, designed for Eric Johnson who wanted more of a Gretsch sound.

This is from their website: "They're bright and have great presence without sounding thin. When Eric tried them, he said they were almost as clear-sounding as Strat® pickups."

http://www.dimarzio.com/

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks! While I was looking at that pickup, I noticed the DP194 as well. I'll have to see if I can find a guitar equipped with those in the neck at the show, although I think it was just Lace and Duncan there last time.

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote