Skip to content
I don't know what m...

Notifications
Clear all

I don't know what my song is about. Errrr, ok.

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@saber)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I was listening to the radio the other day and one of the chicks from the Ya-Ya's came on and did her little introduction and then her sound bite, and as her sound bite she said "I would tell you what the song is about, but I don't know myself." Or something of that nature.

Instantly my respect for the band dropped, and I'm not even sure why. Just hearing her say that made me go "oh geez," and I actually like the song too, it's called Gold Lion. Now I know someone else in the band could have written the lyrics, but that's not how the statement was presented.

What do ya'll think about this?

"Like the coldest winter chill. Heaven beside you. Hell within." -Jerry Cantrell

(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Its actually not that uncommon.

I read an interview with the Stones' Keef Richards and he said that most of the other band members had no clue whatsoever to some of Jagger's lyrics.....

I guess the person writing them should have a clue, but not necessarily the rest of the band.

just my opinion

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I've read the lyrics and I've absolutely no idea what it's supposed to mean - it's like the ramblings of a doped up drunk.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

aha! maybe the song is about a doped up drunk...... :lol:

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Ever glance at Led Zeppelin lyrics? You'd need to be on an illegal substance to make them out. Even then, you'd just be guessing. Still great tunes though.

:)

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@saber)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I understand that a lot of bands have it where one person writes the lyrics and none of the other people in the band have any idea what that one person was talking about, but say that this IS actually the person who wrote the lyrics. Would you lose respect for them because they don't know what their own song was about? Or would you just say, "well, as long as it sounds good."?

"Like the coldest winter chill. Heaven beside you. Hell within." -Jerry Cantrell

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

It depends on the song. Some songs are based on the message (Dylan) whereas others use lyrics as a way to set a certain athmosphere or setting (Radiohead' 'Everything In Its Right Place'). If you like the song you like the song, probably the lyrics were used here to set the theme and make you feel a certain way.

I myself kinda prefer the overly vague lyrics. Give me a handfull of words and I'll make my own story out of it. Others prefer to listen to Simon & Garfunkel singing a tragic tell of loss. It's a different approach to songwriting, and neither ways is superior or inferior to the other.

ReplyQuote