Notifications
Clear all

I might give up

20 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Young children have an advantage over us older players, in that they simply do not have all the hangups we have. They don't worry if they have the coolest guitar with the right pickups, or the best amp. And they don't worry if they bend a string perfectly or hammer like Eddie Van Halen.

They just play. :D

My daughter is 7 (8 in September) and has been taking piano lessons about 9 months now. I am totally blown away by the music she is already playing on piano. She tends to rush a little bit, I tell her to slow down and play with feeling, but her technique is incredible. But she simply doesn't worry about it the way we do. Her teacher tells her to reach over her right hand with her left and play up a scale, SHE JUST DOES IT. She doesn't think things like "this is a difficult technique" or "are my hands big enough?"

And not to brag, but my daughter is better on piano than this kid is on guitar. She played a recital recently with about 25 other kids. I sat on the front row, when my daughter played I heard people behind me say, "Wow, she is REALLY GOOD!". And she is.

I would like to take credit and say maybe she's good because she's heard music all her life. And maybe this has something to do with it. But I really think she is good at piano simply because she doesn't worry about being good.

I bet if we all quit worrying about how good we are like little children, we would all play much better.

Sheesh, I should try to get my daughter on that show. Maybe she'll get a free grand piano out of the deal. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Get her on there Wes ...

And she shares a birthday with my 14 year old son

I know which one is more talented

little hint

Wes's daughter who plays piano or my son who plays PS2 ?

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Hilch

Oh, my daughter plays those games too. She is very bright, but very typical too.

Really credit should be given to her teacher. He owns the piano shop in our area and has been playing over 50 years. He is very kind and patient. I could see all his students really love him.

But he is strict too. His rule is, "There is only one way to play piano, THE RIGHT WAY". He also gets after my daughter about rushing through songs. She has listened and plays with more feeling now.

She has already played at church 3 times, this recent recital, and her teacher is taking her to play at an convalescent home next week. So he gets his students out there in front of people.

He said my daughter is "gifted". Probably says that to every parent. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@uno-pulgar)
Trusted Member

That's a Midget and his singing was weak and without feeling.

Avatar- Correy Harris 8/12/2006 Heritage Music Blues fest, Wheeling WVa

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hey thats great Wes , when she gets older no stage nerves as she would have learnt at a young age how to over stage fright
( something I will never overcome as I don't like crowds )

I think you should be one very proud dad ...

And just think mate when this little girl is a bit older she can join dad on stage , the very talented Inman Family ...

Take care mate

Hilch

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2