Skip to content
Ibanez AW120 with b...

Notifications
Clear all

Ibanez AW120 with blemishes...should I be worried?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@forresal)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ibanez AW120 with blemishes...should I be worried?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I went to my local GC to kill some time. Also wanted to check out this acoustic that their site was advertising
( http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/pro..._sku=103036620 )

When lo and behold I saw this one:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/pro..._sku=103533063

The Ibanez AW120ECE acoustic-electric. It lists for $758, gets sold at $530. But they have one for $299 because of some blemishes.

On the side, there looks to have been a small hole in the wood. It was patched (somehow - I know nothing of woodworking or of the luthier arts!) with the same type (and color) wood. It is only noticeable if you are playing the guitar.

The other thing with it is that the tuners were changed. You can still see the small screw holes on the back. Again not noticeable except close-up.

The guitar is set very nicely. Great action and nice tone.

Question:

1) In your opinion, should I be worried about these blemishes?
2) Anyone familiar with the AW120? (Harmony central has one review and I don't always trust GC website reviews - but all are great scores)
3) Anyone familiar with AEG20?

Hoping for some opinions. Thanks!!

(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Don't know much about Ibanez guitars. But, I do know a USED guitar when I hear one described. The changed tuners mean it is used. Is the guitar being sold as a used guitar? You didn't mention it in your post.

Blemishes are common on used guitars. I don't really care very much about minor blemishes, but I want a pretty good discount if the guitar has 'em! I don't know what the going price is for a used AW120 - I checked ebay and there is ony one currently for auction and none on completed sales.

I happen to own a Yamaha FG730s and I think it is a nice acoustic guitar. But, I am primarily an electric player, so I don't play it every day. Brand new, the guitar is the same price - $299:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-FG730S-Solid-Top-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=519049

ReplyQuote
(@forresal)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the suggestion, Colorado.

The tags did not say "USED". But I agree with your assessment. On the other hand, and notwithstanding the blemishes, it is in great shape...doesn't have a used look to it. While the tags did not say "used" there were multiple prices indicated on it. Went from 700 --> 400 ---> 299.

Edit: I just realized that the full unit # is not there in my original post. Its the AW120ECE acoustic electric. (Edited the original post, too!)

Just checked ebay too:

Found 3 of the AW120 a/e's like what I played:
1 used-current auction
2 "new" floor model listed "buy now" at $325
3 "new" listed "buy now" at $530

:?

ReplyQuote