Notifications
Clear all

Impact on music 1990-present

39 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

And theres punk....... NOFX.......greenday....... The Vandals..... AFI were great in the 90s

Indie ......... don't really like blur and oasis but theres always Radiohead.... Garbage........ Skunk Anasie ......... Kulashakers first album was good.

There was a whole host of good things going on in the 90s, I just can't remember all of them off the top of my head.

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
(@saber)
Reputable Member

It seems counter productive to me for you to go out and find quotes that fit your opinion, instead of actually trying to listen to the music, any side of the multifaceted wave that rose up at the time, and then gripe about it here.

When you talk, it sounds more like you miss "the good old days" then the music of the time. If you try to look for the modern Keith Richards, or Jimi Hendrix then your bound to be disappointed, because those people had their allure in their "one of a kind" quality, but if you check out Eddie Vedder, Billy Corgan, Bradley Nowell, or Jack White, to name a few, you'll find a slew of rock stars with good quality, even legendary, music from the past 15 years.

"Like the coldest winter chill. Heaven beside you. Hell within." -Jerry Cantrell

ReplyQuote
(@noobie)
Estimable Member

I think bands like Soundgarden and Alice N Chains had alot of influence on the more modern downtuned rock. However I think they used it in a completely different way than it is now. I don't listen to much of the harder mainstream rock nowadays, but I get the feeling bands started to use chords/progressions more than single note riffs. I guess it would sort of be a mix of Nirvana and Alice N Chains. Nirvana's power chord style, but slowed down and detuned more.

Personally, Mudhoney is a band I liked a lot from the grunge scene. They were very sarcastic in every aspect of their approach to music in my opinion, and as a sarcastic person I wish I could mimic it.

plz im a noob

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

sarcasm. yay.

ReplyQuote
(@jcjxxl)
Trusted Member

Blutic1, we're the same age. I listened to metal back in the 80s and 90s and still love it to this day. Yeah I may be stuck in the past but there's something to be said for a guitarist who can dominate the guitar, make it scream and play it like a madman from hell.

I cannot stand grunge and listening to the same 4 power chords over and over gets old. I am so glad to see some of the "older" bands getting back together and touring again.

I do like a couple of songs from the newer bands, but we're talking 1 or 2 songs here and there. I find myself liking individual songs rather than the band itself. Whereas in the past it was about liking the entire band and their music.

And I guarantee none of the Blink 182, Green Day, Nirvana,etc. guitarists of today's bands can hang with the likes of Eddie Van Halen, George Lynch, Zakk Wylde, Steve Vai,C.C. Deville, etc.. You get the idea...

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Their have been some HUGE chances in music in the past decade but mostly totally unrelated to guitar. If I had to name some bands it would be Radiohead, with their blend of electronics and rock, Two Unlimited, being the first mainstream world-wide House band (way way back), acts like DJ Tiesto (filling arenas with Trance music), Portishead/Lamb and the likes, using electronics to create totally new song structures while keep alot of the standard instruments. And ofcourse the world-renowned Dutch freejazz has supposedly been breaking new boundaries.

In the 'rock' and 'pop' part of music not much is happening, basically because there is nowhere to go without forming a new genre. All those greenday's and AFI and Blinks aren't really doing anything new, it's more a smoothened out version of old music. Which isn;t bad but compared to other modern bands not worth mentioning as having a real impact.

ReplyQuote
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Saber, the quotes I found were merely to bolster my comments about grunge as a genre, which were disputed by a couple other posters. My only point of going into the whole tirade was to dispell any myths that grunge was not about "agnst, anger, frustration, etc." Anyway, the whole discussion should not have happend because that's not what the post was about.

The original post:

I've read so many book, articles, forums, etc. about the history of music (especially rock / pop / metal) and how people like Elivs, Hendrix, Holly, and bands like Zep, Beatles, Ratt etc. changed the couse of music history. Joking about Ratt of course so get back in your chairs and shake it off. But there is not that much out there (that I could find) about music after about 1990. I graduated from highschool in 1990, was into the 80s metal and pretty much stopped listening to new music about the time grunge came out. I was furious with Grunge - I was a happy child. Not that much agnst - and I did not want to kill my parents so it did not really appeal to me. I still have not and will not buy Nevermind. I also got into Jimmy Buffett in early 1991 and have listened to him and talk radio since then. So I'm an old guy (33) that's out of touch. What bands / people have really changed music since 1990 and how so? Who would you call modern day Beatles or Hendrix? Who came up with the idea to tune waaaaaaaaay down and play with a KFC bucket on your head? Where have all the solos gone? - sung to the tune of Where have all the cowboys gone...."

I can't believe that no one has stepped up and named an artist or band that they believe has caused a shift in pop/rock music since the early 90s. Has everything been done that can be done? Do we need to keep adding strings or messing around with tunings and fake "electronic" instruments to take music somewhere? Or are be doomed to be crushed by Rap? Joke: what's rap music played backwards?

Rap music.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

That's nonsense. You have the old genres, and people turn that into new genres. You have plenty of bands making old rock music (Silvertide) but they don't add anything. And those that add anything (Radiohead) apparantly don;t count because it's different. What exactly is your point? That you don't like changes?
fake "electronic" instruments

Do you mind if I call that a very shallow remark?

ReplyQuote
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I created this thread because I wanted to see what people would say about which bands or artists have contributed significantly or caused a shift (I suppose that means they have done something different that caused others to follow) over the time period specified like you can see was clearly done in the past. So far, unless I've missed it, - goose egg. People have talked about the types of music they like, and don't like. About how older bands have released new stuff, etc. But no one has stated something like "I think ___(insert artist here)____ has caused music to change because _________." Now if we did this post for the time period of Adam and Eve up to 1990, we would have tons of material. So I guess what I'm saying is that I don't see where music has changed that much post-grunge. Ok the songs are a little softer, the tunings a little deaper, and we have some new inventions. But are we to believe that in rock there is NOWHERE to go?????

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Well, your question was about music in general, not just rock. Music in general has involved a whole lot with all kinds of genres, just as rock once contributed to it. However, rock has 'stabilized' in that it's a very fixed genre. Play too agressive and it's metal. Play soft and it's a pop-balled. Just like classic-rock can't develop any further because if you do it won't be classic rock anymore.

I gave you examples of acts that contributed heavily to the devopment of music by either using new sounds, using old sounds in new ways or creating new song structures. That's fairly big. But if you are only interested in the same-old-same-old bass/drum/guitar/vocals/key setup, don;t care about anything that doesn't follow the intro-verse(2x)-chorus-verse-chorus-solo-bridge-chorus-outro progression, dislike the use of dissonant sounds and despise any form of electronics (kinda weird, coming from an electric guitar player) then no, there is nowhere to go. Not because music is stale, but because you define a certain genre in such a strict way that there is technically nowhere to go without abandoning rock.

If you want to know the trends in rock music it would be more focussed solos, cleaner and smoother sounds, more constant rhythms and the return multiple singers during a song.

ReplyQuote
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I'm not attempting to box this post in quite so narrowly. I think most people understand that I'm talking about your typical "band". Not an orchestra and not some computer whiz with pro-tools. Just look at the VAST diversity in music that your basic 4-5+ piece rock bands have produced. Chuck Berry to Elvis to the Beatles to Led Zep to ACDC to RATT to Green Day to Nirvana to Coldplay.

Sport, can you elaborate on that?

ReplyQuote
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Here's a list of some of the more recent bands and certain events. Maybe this will stimulate some discussion about their contribution or degradation of music.

Cradle of Filth
Rage Against the Machine
Nevermore
Enslaved
Behemoth

Skid Row's second album Slave to the Grind becomes the first and only 90s classic heavy metal album to debut at No.1 in the Billboard music charts in the 90s.

Metallica's self-titled Black Album becomes the first thrash metal album to hit No.1 in the Billboard music charts.

Guns N' Roses Use Your Illusion II Becomes 2nd Metal Album to debut #1 .

Skid Row, Guns N' Roses, and Metallica's albums all debut #1, at that time they were all in tour together.

Van Halen's album For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge wins a Grammy award.

Black Label Society
Edguy
Esoteric
Graveland
Machine Head
Mourning Beloveth
Moonspell
Obitus

Children of Bodom
Dark Funeral
HammerFall
Korn
Mournful Congregation
Mushroomhead
Rhapsody

Abscess
Amen
Chevelle
Down
Destroyer 666
Heavenly
Limp Bizkit
Rammstein (in January)
Six Feet Under
Slash's Snakepit
Strapping Young Lad

Far Beyond Driven by Pantera debut's at No 1 on the U.S. British and Australian charts.
Soundgarden wins two grammies; Best Hard Rock Performance for Black Hole Sun and Best Metal Performance for Spoonman.

Marilyn Manson & The Spooky Kids change their name into Marilyn Manson; Debut album Portrait Of An American Family is released

Slipknot
System of a Down
Trapt

American Head Charge
Control Denied
Linkin Park
Mudvayne
Shadows Fall
Nightwish
Lacuna Coil
Lordi

Van Halen lead singer Sammy Hagar departs the band due to issues over the Best Of Volume I and the band's contribution to the Twister soundtrack.

Disturbed
Pig Destroyer
Static-X
Finntroll
The Dillinger Escape Plan

God Forbid
Rebaelliun
Unearth

Avenged Sevenfold
Bleeding Through
The Crew
DragonForce
Dream Evil
Five pointe o
Mastodon
Protest The Hero
Sonata Arctica

Dominus Praelii
Killswitch Engage
The Darkness
Trivium

Metallica releases a song "I Disappear" that was never released on any studio albums and appears on the Mission: Impossible II soundtrack. This song also started the famous Napster Controversy
Vocalist Bruce Dickinson returns to the band Iron Maiden after a nearly eight year absence for the Brave New World album.
Guitarist and songwriter Adrian Smith rejoined Iron Maiden after 10 years.

Audioslave
Dragonlord
As I Lay Dying

Death guitarist Chuck Schuldiner dies at 34 on December 13 of brain cancer.
Metallica bassist Jason Newsted (who joined after Cliff Burton's death) officially left the band and joined Voivod.
Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory becomes a sleeper hit a year after its release, outselling all other records in 2001

PROBOT
Velvet Revolver

Alice in Chains singer Layne Staley dies on April 5 from an overdose of heroin.

Metallica hires new bassist Robert Trujillo (from Suicidal Tendencies and Ozzy Osbourne).
MTV2 resurrected the old Heavy Metal, Rock television program Headbangers' Ball.

Damageplan and former Pantera lead guitarist Dimebag Darrell is murdered on December 8 by Nathan Gale while performing a concert in Ohio.
Van Halen reunites with Sammy Hagar (who left in 1996) and tour with their second greatest hits album, The Best Of Both Worlds. After the tour, Hagar says he is done with Van Halen.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I see. Then I'll add Radiohead, Muse, Coldplay. Radiohead would be the one to start out brit-rock and slowly drift toward electronica (Radiohead has more variation then most classic rock bands thrown on a pile). Muse, while Bellamy is heavily into electronical FXs is still very much rock. Coldplay would be the poprock of the bunch, but with surprisingly fun touches, espescially on X&Y.

Oh, I love Led Zep and in a lesser way AC/DC, but what exactly did they change? They play the same chords everybody plays, sing the same lines everybody sings, play the same solos with the same scales and use the same sound and gear everybody uses. Yeah, it;s fun but if that's revolutionary I can add a whole bunch of contemporary bands no problem. :D

ReplyQuote
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

What did Led Zep change????????

I'll defer that one to one of our more seasoned members here. I could not do that question justice since I'm only 34 ;)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Alright, I'm even younger so odds are I'm missing the obvious. Oh, you said 4/5-piece band. Jimi Hendrix was thee people, Simon and Garfunkle two (duh), Elvis often played with a fairly big ensemble. Wouln't it be fair to extent the range to 2-10 or something? Heck, plenty of singer-songwriters formed one-man bands, so maybe even anything under full orchestral size should do. Right?

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3