Clear all

Is Anybody Gassin' for something?

20 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I'm not. I even had a surprise check roll through and I put it straight into savings without the first whiff of GAS. My Guitar Center sales pamplet arrived the same day. I glanced at it, made a couple of ohh-ahhs and tossed in the recycle container. My wife even asked me if I was looking for a $XXX.XX amount guitar while looking at it and that was my first connection. I then realized I've put any "extra" dough into the house, small-time travel or savings. I didn't even upgrade my Band-in-a-Box and won't until December.

What is wring with me? Is there help? This is an amount that could nearly get myself into an American Standard Strat. We had a thread recently about guitar purcashes in general. The GC pamphlet even had Deville 60W 4X10 and 2x12 models for $659. Not only did I not gas, the excitement of the price last just seconds as I don't even crank my 15, 20 and 40's up at all.

Oh well. Maybe i'll get a Dobro or something along that line come Christmas time.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

"Is anybody gassin' for something?" Are you offering up that surprise check? I will be happy to take it off your hands. 8)

Presently I am GASsing for a Les Paul or decent copy with a long neck tenon. Thank you in advance for your contribution to my dream. :lol:

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Right now my financial status isn't good (wife lost her job and they are fighting giving her unemployment) but I have no gas. I think it's cause I already have everything. :lol: I did make a music related purchase for the cave though. Stupid Deal of the Day was a profesional XM Radio sound system. Crown amplifier and JBL speakers, all wire and hardware for mounting included. $399 but on sale for $99 and they applied my $15 discount to boot so for $84 I got a sound system that just rocks my man cave! It is made for restaurants and bars and stores in malls and such so it is mono but is it loud and the sound clarity is unbelievable. (Has a jack for a mic in back so I can page customers and can connect to the on hold of my phone system .... ummm if I had a phone system) It has inputs for things like MP3 players and stuff too, I have the Direct TV reciever out there connected to it cause I got sattelite radio there I'm already paying for. So if that was gas I guess I had it but we spend a lot of time out there listening to music and it just got a lot better for $84.

Sorry you asked? :lol:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Ya a Martin D-28 or low priced Taylor that doesn't sound bad.......Guilda needs some fret work & a glue job.

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

I'm not. I even had a surprise check roll through and I put it straight into savings without the first whiff of GAS. My Guitar Center sales pamplet arrived the same day. I glanced at it, made a couple of ohh-ahhs and tossed in the recycle container. My wife even asked me if I was looking for a $XXX.XX amount guitar while looking at it and that was my first connection. I then realized I've put any "extra" dough into the house, small-time travel or savings. I didn't even upgrade my Band-in-a-Box and won't until December.

What is wring with me? Is there help? This is an amount that could nearly get myself into an American Standard Strat. We had a thread recently about guitar purcashes in general. The GC pamphlet even had Deville 60W 4X10 and 2x12 models for $659. Not only did I not gas, the excitement of the price last just seconds as I don't even crank my 15, 20 and 40's up at all.

Oh well. Maybe i'll get a Dobro or something along that line come Christmas time.
Well I WAS gassing for something..... Not any more. Just bought a Resonator and hope to have it delivered soon!!!!

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I can't wait to see you resonator. Hopefully we can hear it. :)

TR, that sounds like too good of a deal to pass up. I like the SDOTD. I wish they all did something like that.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Gassin? Always.

No budget though - I just bought another piano for the school last week. Seems like all my gear the last few years has been of a practical nature (though I'm not sure many folks would see owning five pianos as being practical....)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I must have reached a point of having everything I need musically, because the only things I am gassing for is a job, a dog, and a small house in the countryside.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

I must have reached a point of having everything I need musically, because the only things I am gassing for is a job, a dog, and a small house in the countryside.

Those are great thigs to Gas for!!!!! Wife and I have good jobs, nice house and land, and two healthy kids....Im pretty happy!!! As for gear...Im happy with what I have now. Once the skills get better, that may change, but the Reso was the last thing I wanted.. Now Im gassing for more skill and talent!!!!!!! and maybe a jam partner or two

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

[ As for gear...Im happy with what I have now. Once the skills get better, that may change, but the Reso was the last thing I wanted.. Now Im gassing for more skill and talent!!!!!!! and maybe a jam partner or two

Ditto. :)

I probably have most of the gear I'll ever need (except a resonator...darn it... :wink: ). I also have the house on a few acres in the country, and the money angle is OK. But you simply can never have too much ability or too many musical friends or playing opportunities. A dog that can play bass or percussion would be nice. Maybe that 'cat and the fiddle' too...

I've been somewhat tied to home for the past few years, so my main goal now is to get out there again. To that end I'm spending money on musical 'experiences' rather than more stuff. I've just started lessons with a guy who has been a working pro for many decades and who has a small studio behind his house. Some days we chat about all manner of things and I don't even open the guitar case, but I always come away with something new - a yarn, an insight, some demonstration tracks that he's played and that I drop into ProTools and play along with, or just a renewed enthusiasm to play at home. Sometimes he'll take the money, sometimes he won't, but it would be worth every penny even if we just chatted. I know more or less what to do now. I have books that explain the theory, and more books that provide steps and/or sheet music. The rest is finding the right place to use it all, and then doing it with enthusiasm and pleasure...

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

On the same theme of gassing for musical company rather than more gear, I've also started occasionally dropping in to practice at the local music shop.

It's a tiny shop and it's kept afloat financially by giving lessons. The retail space is very small but there are also four little booths that are used for teaching. Roger doesn't employ teachers but gives lessons himself and he rents the rooms to other teachers. The lessons (mainly guitar, keyboard, violin, bass, banjo...) are all $25 for half an hour, with $5 going to him for the room hire and $20 to the teacher (which is a pretty good deal for the teachers, seeing that he finds the customers and does the booking). It's not busy until after school finishes, so I occasionally drop in earlier and hire a room for $5.

Now, he's a good friend and I could sit there and play for nothing. I do that too. He's always happy to have somebody to play and chat with when things are quiet. But paying him means that I actually do sit there and practice for half an hour! :) Then we'll chat and maybe play some more. All the while customers are dropping in. Some are old music friends, but others are potential new music buddies. :)

Last time I was there a very small boy came in with his mum and brother to get his very first guitar. While mum was talking to Roger, he stood in the doorway and appraised my playing. He complimented me on what I was doing, and told me about the new guitar he was about to get. Priceless. His off the cuff and genuine appreciation of the fact that I was making music, in an enjoyable way (rather than just telling me about what he was going to get) was as good as a round of applause from any audience.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

When I am I take Beano...Ha

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

On the same theme of gassing for musical company rather than more gear, I've also started occasionally dropping in to practice at the local music shop.
Your welcome here in The Man Cave Chris. What part of New York State is West Australia in?

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Your welcome here in The Man Cave Chris. What part of New York State is West Australia in?
Its in upstate. :D :D :D

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@hobson)
Noble Member

Not exactly gassing yet, but getting interested in this page turner:

http://www.bilila.com/pagescore_turner

Renee

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2