Notifications
Clear all

It's official, I'm old

37 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
(@mrodgers)
Trusted Member

Ok, had to look up Garbage. Then I saw Only Happens When it Rains and thought, hmm, I do know that one.

I listened to a few. Nope, definitely not my style. Then again, I'm pretty much stuck on my 70's and 80's stuff (like the 80's hair metal, but don't really listen to any of it now.)

Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Kiss, The Who, Hendrix, Skynyrd, Rush, that's the sort of stuff I listen to. As I said, only have one classic rock station on the radio, but then, this stuff is also now played on the "oldies" station :shock: Luckily I don't have to listen to any of this on the radio because my entire CD collection would be made up of this stuff.

That's when you know you're getting old. When your music is playing on the "oldies" radio.

For the most recent, I do like Creed and Nickelback. Prior to that I'd have to go way back to the beginning of Grunge to Pearl Jam, Toad the Wet Sprocket, Stone Temple Pilots, and the like. Never did like Nirvana though.

Toss in some early Metallica and of course have to have Guns n Roses in there and you pretty much have my entire music selection to listen to.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

That's when you know you're getting old. When your music is playing on the "oldies" radio.

Then I'm definitely old....but then, rock'n'roll's not been around much longer than I have. I first took notice of music when the Beatles made it big....I think everyone of my generation did. Six years old, and bands like the Stones, the Kinks, The Hollies, Manfred Mann seemed to come along one after the other. Then there was the Who and the Dave Clark Five, then some American music made it over here - The Beach Boys, the Byrds, Dylan (though I didn't really "get" Dylan till the mid-70's) - then there was Motown.

In the 70's - I was a teenager at the start of the 70's - I was into music that'd probably be classed as glam rock now. Slade, T. Rex, Bowie, Roxy Music, Mott The Hoople, Nazareth. Mates with older brothers got me into bands like Zeppelin, Sabbath, ELP and Yes...and by the mid 70's, we had FM radio and far more stations to listen to. Then came punk rock.

Music's evolved and changed since then, but most of my favourite music's from that era... I guess it might be down to the simpler, more primitive technology available then. Four track tape machines to record on, fer gawd's sake! Motown producers could never successfully duplicate the earlier "Hitsville" sound once they moved into newer, more tecnologically sophisticated studios; for me, once the earlier, more primitive technology was replaced, music seemed to lose a little of its edge, some of its vitality, and it's joie de vivre. With the new sophisticated recording technology, bands like Yes and Genesis put out albums that were musically sophisticated, but (and remember this is MY opinion) seemed antiseptic, soulless and, well, just NOT rock'n'roll!

Punk rock changed all that - suddenly music was about kids with a real passion for music, sometimes the passion was far ahead of the musical skills. That didn't matter though - rock had got its edge back. Bands like the Clash and the Sex Pistols gave rock'n'roll a real kick in the backside - they had opinions and they weren't afraid to share 'em. A similar thing happened in the 90's with the grunge scene - Pearl Jam and Nirvana et al were the reactionary antidote to the excesses of the yuppie 80's.

These days, I don't listen to much new music, although there are a few "new" bands I like - Kasabian, the Killers, Franz Ferdinand, for instance. The most recent new music I "discovered" was "Forget About You" by the Noisettes, after hearing it featured in a TV ad....funny though, it's a very retro sound!

I haven't touched much on metal....that's because I've never been much into metal, so I'll leave that to someone who knows what they're talking about! My favourite music's always been loud, melodic rock/pop....anything from Elvis, Fats Domino, Chuck and Jerry Lee, through most of the bands I've mentioned above. I have discovered other music over the years - some country, and since I joined GN, a lot of Blues...but I'll always be an old rock'n'roller at heart.

Rock'n'roll will continue to evolve, and the technology will continue to improve - and for every bland, plastic boy/girl band that comes along, there'll always be a rebellious rock'n'roller. Thank God.

Funny, Ms Sunset, but I'm more than twice your age, and I don't feel old, especially when I've got a guitar in my hand - the only time I feel old is when I listen to the bland, antiseptic soulless crap that's in the charts and on the TV (thanks a lot, Simon Cowell!) these days, or what's laughingly called "R'n'B," or white teenagers listening to gangsta rap....then I wonder where the music's gone.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Great posts here, +1 to Vics'
Happy Birthday?

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Seeing a bunch of short haired clean shaven guys play just doesn't scream rock n roll to me.

:wink:
(sorry, couldn't find a pic of Nielsen and Carlos alone... )

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

One last part to my rant: It's all well too behaved. What happend to rock being about rebellion? It's all so pretty, very little complaining. The lyrics aren't very dark and there is very little booze, sex and general disregard for the opinion of others. You people are setting a good example to our children and it needs to stop! When I was your age I wasn't respecting my elders and getting good grades. I was sneaking out the window during class, getting detention for it and sneaking out of detention through the window. I still got good grades but that's besides the point. Kids today have no disrespect for their elders.

Anyone have any thoughts about this or their own story of when they realized they we're too old to be mainstream, please share. Please don't post that 25 isn't old. I'm aware of that.

:lol: It's still there. Bands like Nickelback, Five Finger Death Punch, and Slipknot are keeping rebellion alive one way another from what I hear on the radio at work all night long. I never thought I would still be responding to a song with WTH, then laughing about it later. The "classic" rock stations are what get me. Hearing Guns N' Roses, Def Leppard, and Metallica on one those stations made me feel old. I remember sitting around on break and pondering about how much time has passed with the music I grew up listening to. It didn't seem all too long ago that I was 11 years old listening Enter Sandman all day long.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Dang! We've been on the same sight for a while. Time passes on.

TR said "only the good stuff survives." Proof is in the pudding. Here's a 35 year old year-ending top 100 pop chart. How many do you remember and still like? (rhetorical) http://www.oldradioshows.com/at100/1975.html Captain and Tenille beat out Glen Campbell for the top spot. I got in trouble for drawing mustaches on the album cover that my sister had. That's only because I couldn't find any matches to ignite the thing.

I have the luxury of having a 16 year old, almost 17, eating me out of house and home. I can assure you that the Disney thing gets outgrown in a NY minute once they hit High School if it's not already. At least here anyhow. I'm taking the Chris Rock, "....but I understand" stance reagarding that Cyrus chick. I would not condone any backhanded, b-slapping done to her, but I would understand.

I forced myself to watch the New Year's Eve bash thingy on NBC a couple weeks back. My wife, who has been fighting this don't-hate-modern-music thing forever finally relented and admitted she's seen enough. Our son, set in his Heavy Metal tastes, switched it over to Southpark in something like three tenths of a second, and without objection. We did watch it for a good hour beforehand. Boy oh boy, that chick in the group, The Black Eyes Peas. Whew! I gotta tell ya, that's one mega-hottie. :D

I too had to Google this Shirley Manson person and Garbage. What was so darned surprising is that she is only a year younger than I am. Well, 15 months to be exact. Pretty much my wife's age.

I was maybe 28-30 years old when I had the GSS moment.

I don't think it's entirely my fault though. The radio stations around here started to really stink-on-ice. I've been XM or internet for five years or so. You select what genre and/or decade. Life is good. The best part is that I am not an oldie-phobe and never have been. (Well, to a point. I despise the Carolina Beach Music. Most of the U.S. know nothing about it. Be thankful.) My catalog of stuff I consider my list of favorites spans at least three decades. There are bits and pieces I like back through the 1930's thanks to some 60's folks from the other side of the pond.

My son is trying his best to bring me up to speed. I can't listen to what he likes and the volumes he claims it needs. I did latch on to Evanesence and Franz Ferdinand a few years ago. There was Smash Mouth when he was in something like 3rd grade. Still trying to figure out what is wrong with the modern pop-rock scene. I see guitars doing power chords, drums and a bass player. It's just so gosh darned vanilla sounding. Almost a Stepford Wives influence. There has got to be a middle ground between the plugged in version of Bread and Slipknot, right? At least Smash Mouth didn't sing in some emotionless mono-tone dribble I listened to a couple weeks ago.

My wife took him, his 1st, 3rd and 5th girlfriend and two of their peeps to the Slipknot show last winter. My son is approaching Thunder-Fingers stature and had great fun pummelling people in the mosh pit without moving. My wife and my son's 1st, 3rd and 5th GF watched in safety from the stands somewhat horrified. Sadly, I could not attend.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Seeing a bunch of short haired clean shaven guys play just doesn't scream rock n roll to me.

:wink:
(sorry, couldn't find a pic of Nielsen and Carlos alone... )

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

That's the one I was looking for! :lol:
Thanks.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@kvnprv)

HA! well i am sixteen and i still agree with you

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Yes sir bingo

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Looking at those photos, that's probably why I never liked CT all that much - that album cover screams "GEEEKS!" to me! I really hate having my hair cut....short hair just ain't rock'n'roll to me. I'm going to share with you a couple of pictures....the first one was taken about June 23rd 2006....my stepson's stag party.

A week later, stepson's wedding - I utterly LOATHE this picture. I had to get a haircut for the wedding - and the Marilyn actually got me drunk before I went to the barbers. I felt like....well, never mind, this is a family forum....till it grew back.

I didn't even feel like picking a guitar up for a couple of weeks or so after that photo - I was depressed! I hate short hair, well, on me anyway....it just isn't me! I don't feel like a guitarist with short hair - I DO feel like I was born to rock and roll when I've got long hair.

In the immortal words of Eric Clapton...."Let it grow, let it grow......"

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Oh and yeah, all the time I was in that monkey suit, I was PINING for a red t-shirt and the old faded blues......

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@mrodgers)
Trusted Member

Wow Vic, that is a drastic transformation.

I agree, the long hair does it. A lot of "older" folks (sorry, I'm not quite up there with ya :D ) can't really pull off the long hair. You did.

I agree with ya on the monkey suit. Heck, I wear blue jeans to church. My fancy dress is when I wear a shirt that has a collar, and it wouldn't be a button down shirt either. That's as fancy as I get. I do have a tie somewhere that my kids play with, hehe.

---------------
Mike never had long hair, child of the 80's and the mullet...

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

You look quite distinguished with the suit and haircut, Vic! :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Come on, Vic, even Francis Rossi has short hair. :D :D

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3