Clear all

Laurence Juber workshop and concert

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@jsnood)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I just got back from a workshop and concert by Laurence Juber. I must confess that what I knew about him is that he is a fingerpicking master and was the guitarist with The Wings, but not much else.

Well the guy is a God. I was absolutely blown away.

During the workshop he showed us a few exercises, but mostly he took questions and expounded on the music philosophy, guitar history - manufacture and styles, his own experience, and, of course, the odd Sir Paul story. And naturally he played selectively to make emphasize various points.

I downloaded his album, Guitarist, before attending. It's an astounding piece of work. But seeing him play live, both during the workshop and the concert, and studying and watching his fingers fly is priceless. And workshop and concert were only $20 a piece.

I even got to chat with him while taking a leak. :)

There were about 15 people at the workshop and about 40 at the concert. It was very intimate.

And I must extent thanks to my wife who saw it listed in the paper and encouraged me to go. I've only been playing a little over a year and I was nervous about attending, sure that it would be way over my head and not worthwhile. Wrong!

What a blast. I wont be shy any longer about taking any opportunity to learn any little thing that will move me along on my slow but joyous guitar journey.

There is no way to peace. Peace is the way. - A.J. Muste

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I even got to chat with him while taking a leak. :)

I imagine the end of your conversation went like this:
snood: hey man, aren't you going to wash your hands?
juber: no, I never do - that is the secret behind my GHS Laurence Juber Signature Guitar Strings!
:lol:

Juber's great. Uses DADGAD tuning frequently, if I'm not mistaken. I've got a tab of his DADGAD arrangement of While My Guitar Gently Weeps that I intend to tackle one of these days.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@jsnood)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I imagine the end of your conversation went like this:
snood: hey man, aren't you going to wash your hands?
juber: no, I never do - that is the secret behind my GHS Laurence Juber Signature Guitar Strings!
:lol:
Hmm, come to think of it, I don't remember him...
Juber's great. Uses DADGAD tuning frequently, if I'm not mistaken.
Yes, quite a bit. During his performance no fewer than 2/3 of the songs he played were in DADGAD. (He used a pick on one, probably just to show he could, as if anyone doubted it.)

He refers to EADGBE as missionary tuning.

There is no way to peace. Peace is the way. - A.J. Muste

ReplyQuote