Skip to content
Local music scene i...

Notifications
Clear all

Local music scene in Orlando and surrounding area.

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I'm taking the family to Orlando for our holiday this year and I was wondering if anyone here could recommend some good spots to check out the local music scene in the city or surrounding areas. I guess my days are going to be pretty busy but thought it would be nice to spend an evening or two when the kids haven't completely worn me out checking out the local talent. Don't mind going off the beaten tourist track if need be.

So, any recommendations?

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

My guess is that you are spending at least some of your time at Disneyworld? If so, they have an "island" there (its really just a man made pile of dirt in a lake), but I can't remember the name of it. It is on the Disney property and it has resturants and several bars/clubs with live bands most nights. It has been several years since I was last there, but I recall a blues bar, jazz, etc. BUT, my guess is that they are not "local" talent. Disney probably hires them from around the country. The bands that I have seen were all good and solid, but not anything special - great to get the tourists to hang out in the bar & spend more $$$!

To get real "local" bands, you would have to check out downtown Orlando, but I know nothing about that.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

By the way Chuckster ----> thank you for coming and spending your tourist dollars in America! Next time though, come ski in Colorado! :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

My guess is that you are spending at least some of your time at Disneyworld? If so, they have an "island" there (its really just a man made pile of dirt in a lake), but I can't remember the name of it. It is on the Disney property and it has resturants and several bars/clubs with live bands most nights. It has been several years since I was last there, but I recall a blues bar, jazz, etc. BUT, my guess is that they are not "local" talent. Disney probably hires them from around the country. The bands that I have seen were all good and solid, but not anything special - great to get the tourists to hang out in the bar & spend more $$$!

To get real "local" bands, you would have to check out downtown Orlando, but I know nothing about that.

You're probably thinking of Downtown Disney/Pleasure Island, which has the House of Blues. That's pretty much the only live music in that area, so it's not "local" and won't be cheap. There are some bands in Downtown Orlando, but depending on where you go, they're just background noise to hundreds of drunk college kids and tourists.

Orlando, from what I can tell, is not a hotbed of good live music. But, I'll ask around and see if anyone has any good ideas. What kind of music do you like?

On another note, here is like the only guitar store in Orlando not named Guitar Center or Sam Ash. They have some neat vintage type stuff there. Might be worth checking out if you're nearby.

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Yeah. I'll be doing the Disney thing. For the kids honest. :wink:

Thanks for the info so far guys.

FWIW I'm into blues and rock music but have a wide range of tastes. I've traveled a lot in my previous job and always liked to check out some local bands where possible whenever I went anywhere. I figure a night out checking the local scene will make a pleasant break from "the mouse" while I'm out there. :lol:

8)

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

There are a few places in Orlando I wouldn't take the kids.

An old friend of mine is in a band down there

Pardon My Carbon

June, 30 2007 at w/ Shak Nasti @ TASTE
College Park, Orlando, Florida
Cost : $5.00

That's all I know. Big city. Alot bigger than when I lived there in 1962!

Plan on spending ALOT of money, but having a kid along at Disney World is great. My wife and I took her cousin and husband and son to Disney last summer. They were over from Italy. Had a great time.

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Oenyaw.

I've got plenty of money set aside for the trip so hopefully we shouldn't need to cut any corners with the holiday. We'll be eating beans on toast for the rest of our lives but at least we'll have had a good holiday. :lol:

As for taking the kids to Disney - 'll probably be the biggest kid there. I've been there twice before (although it was 20 odd years ago) so I kind of know what to expect but I"m still looking forward to it.

8)

ReplyQuote