Clear all

Look what came in my patio door!

23 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I heard a strange noise coming from near my open patio door, went to investigate, and found this wandering around my dining room! :shock:

I've got him in a small aquarium for now, but, since I live near a lake, I'm going to take him there and set him free. I think he'll be happier at the lake than he would be here! His shell is about 9-1/2 inches long and about 7 inches wide.

I've had a roadrunner and a snake come in before, but never a turtle! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member

Love turtles. They live forever, so make sure you know what you're getting yourself into :wink:

Ewan McGregor: I said, "Eve, I want you to look after my wedding ring while I'm away," and she started to cry and I said, "Eve. Eve, I can't wear my ring or I won't get laid on the trip!"

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

How cool! I'm not sure what you've got there, but it's some sort of land turtle or tortoise. Out on the prowl for mating season, I imagine. Most likely late teens or early 20s to be old enough to be interested in such things, kinda like people.

Breaks my heart to see 'em get out on the roads in the spring and summer. Not everyone's careful about trying to miss them, and there are a few unspeakable lowlifes who'll swerve to hit 'em. They're helpless out there. I stop and get 'em out of the road when I can, but often it's not safe to do so.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Looks turtally charming... :D

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

He (or she) probably heard you playing "Eleanor" or "Happy Together".......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member

Cute! Looks like he'd be all purty cleaned up. :D

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I took him to the lake and set him free! He looked happy enough as he wandered away! I took one more picture before he left for good, though!

Here's his face!

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

He (or she) probably heard you playing "Eleanor" or "Happy Together".......

I was thinking it might have been Terrapin Station. :wink:

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

:lol:

A roadrunner and a turtle I could handle, but the day a snake invited itself into my abode, the door would be shut, or at least screened, for good! :shock:

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Luckily, when the snake came in to visit, my Arizona State Trooper cousin was here visiting and he took care of it for me! The screen DID stay closed for quite a while after that, but I got tired of getting up and down constantly to let cats in and out!!! So, during pretty weather it pretty much stays open!

When the roadrunner came in, though, it was a whole different story! When he realized that people and cats were in here he freaked out and started running all over the house!! I had to toss the cats out into the garage and open every door to try to "herd" him toward one of them. It took over an hour to get him back outside!!

Even worse than the snake, though, was the time one of my cats brought me a present of a huge, dead rat!!! Y'all will probably think I'm totally insane, but dead rats and mice freak me out worse than live ones! The live ones will run away, but the dead ones just sit there taunting me!! LOL! Anyway, she proudly brought the rat to me and dropped it at my feet. I immediately started yelling at her to take it back outside (like she could actually understand what I was saying!), when she wouldn't do that I guess instinct kicked in and I ran outside. There was a car passing and I made the guy stop, dragged him into my house and made him get rid of that rat! I know he thought I was nuts! Some totally strange, obviously insane woman dragging him out of his car to get rid of a dead rat!! I've often wondered if he ever had the nerve to drive by here anymore!

:D

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Even worse than the snake, though, was the time one of my cats brought me a present of a huge, dead rat!!!

There was a car passing and I made the guy stop, dragged him into my house and made him get rid of that rat! I know he thought I was nuts! Some totally strange, obviously insane woman dragging him out of his car to get rid of a dead rat!! I've often wondered if he ever had the nerve to drive by here anymore!

You need to have a shovel, some plastic bags and a pair of gloves handy for the next time. :twisted:

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Ah, seeing his face, he is an aquatic turtle. Some sort of slider. Probably a red eared slider. We've got one a lot like him in a tank in the back office, named Yoda. That boy does love to eat. He crowds up to the front of the tank watching for us, and when he sees one of us he'll start waving his arms till he's splashing the water like an Evinrude with its prop half out of the water. He's not tame like the baby tortoise, but his desire to eat overcomes his fear and he'll paddle over and snatch a piece of meat out of my fingers.

Speaking of the grandtortoise, as it has grown, it has assumed more masculine features, and the kids are convinced it is male. I am having a very hard time getting my head around my "granddaughter" turning into a boy, but I have to agree with the evidence, physical and behavioral. Worse, my daughter is sticking with Nintendo game names and has gone from Zelda to Bowser. This is just hard for me to accept. We're babysitting the little booger right now, and this morning I got him up, bathed and fed him and left him out in the sunroom where he can't get in too much trouble. He was wild last night, exploring all around the house, and didn't want to go to bed. Didn't want to get up early this morning either, but neither did I. Tough.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I figured that, if he was a land turtle, he would still do well out by the lake. It's got lots of open spaces around it! But, it's good to know that he may be aquatic! That would mean that I definitely did the right thing in taking him there! Either way, though, it's a good spot for a turtle!

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

He looks just like a larger version of the turtles they used to sell for pets when I was a kid, with the orange striping. The ones we had back then were about the size of an Oreo cookie though. :lol:

Once when my sister was at school and I was still too young for school, I took her little turtle outside to play in a mud puddle. I must've wandered off and forgotten about him, because the mud puddle dried up and the turtle baked in the hot sun. :cry:

Then, my oldest sister, who was in high school biology class at the time, decided to dissect the body. :shock: I was sickened by the whole deal and ran off retching, but not before seeing that what we believed to be the heart was a purplish-white color.

Of course, my sister never allowed me to forget the time I *killed* her turtle. :oops:

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

LMAO - Ric, Yoda's a GREAT name for a turtle!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2