Notifications
Clear all

Looking for a new guitar?

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@country)
Topic starter  

Hey guys and gals, I posted this on another forum and didn't get very far, I don't know if they misunderstood what I was asking or what? All I got was the varying answer that was not what I was wanting to know and they didn't tell me what they had, how it held up and what was good about it. I got the usual I have this guitar and it was 700 -1000 bucks way out of my price range or I have this one, its a cheap guitar it will get you by or why are you worried about a budget? I want to know what you guys think and I know its hard to choose a guitar by someones discription of theirs, I know I am going to try it out, I am just trying to gather opinions and figure out on my budget which is the best way to go.

Here is what I posted -

I was curious if anyone has an Epiphone acoustic guitar specifically the Hummingbird model. I am looking for a new guitar to buy myself for christmas and was looking at this one although I have not settled on it. I think it sounds slightly better than best guitar now (Takamine Jasmine - Dreadnought style). Not that its a bad guitar - I love it but you know guitarist one guitar is never enough. Although I would like to have an acoustic - electric but I am on a budget right now and would like to stay around 300 bucks give or take 20-30 dollars. If you have one of these guitars or some other brand that is really close to the Hummingbird or close in price please let me know and tell me what you like about it and what you don't. I would also like to have a slimmer neck and I don't think that the Hummingbird is much better, the Takamine I have now has a larger neck - my only complaint about it though.

Thank you, Zach

(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

I don't have an Epi Hummingbird, but I do own (and am very happy with) a guitar in your price range. I own the Yamaha FG730S, which was exactly at your price -$300:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-FG730S-Solid-Top-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=519049

I have the natural finish.

What I like:
- Sounds really nice
- The neck is easy to play
- Affordable

What I don't like:
- When I bought it, the action was WAY high on all available guitars in this model, so I paid a tech to replace the bridge

Hope that gives you something to consider. Check out the reviews for this guitar on Harmony Central.

ReplyQuote
(@country)
Topic starter  

Thank you I appreciate that, this is what I was looking for. Looks like a beautiful guitar!!

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

I am looking for a new guitar to buy myself for christmas and was looking at this one although I have not settled on it. I think it sounds slightly better than best guitar now (Takamine Jasmine - Dreadnought style). Not that its a bad guitar - I love it but you know guitarist one guitar is never enough. Although I would like to have an acoustic - electric but I am on a budget right now and would like to stay around 300 bucks give or take 20-30 dollars.
Maybe this isn't what you want but here goes anyways. If it's only "slightly better" than your existing guitar and it doesn't fill a different role or niche then maybe you'd be better off saving up for a while or getting something else that is different than what you've already got?

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

not nearly enough of an improvement over a Tak Jasmine imo.
i also say save more money.
there are some really nice guitars available in the $500-$600 range that would be 3 times the guitar that Epi Hummer is.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@country)
Topic starter  

Thanks guys

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

agreed on the idea of saving for a more expensive one. its only really worth spending the same amount on a new guitar as your current one if (a) your current guitar is top of the line (e.g. owning a Martin D28 and buying something similarly priced), or (b) you want them to perform completely different jobs (e.g. buying a classical guitar or a resonator when you already own a steel string acoustic).

If your prospective purchase doesn't meet one or both of those requirements, I'd say save and get a higher end guitar.

Unles you need a spare for gigging, but even then saving for a better guitar is usually the best way to go.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote