:ducks:

:ducs: ???

Duc is my favorite Genesis album.

:grabs a bas from the frig:

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

"Mic" most likely started out as an abbreviation used in ham radio when you had to key in Morse code. 3 letters are better than 4. It was certainly used long before that 1961 dictionary reference. Dictionaries never originate language, they merely eventually recognize well established usage. I use the "mic" spelling for the noun as a nod to electronic tradition. But it's just far too ridiculous to spell it that way in a verb form, as in "micing" (adding small rodents, presumably) or "miced."

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

:grabs a bas from the frig:
How's that cold fish taste, Slej?

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

"Mic" most likely started out as an abbreviation used in ham radio when you had to key in Morse code. 3 letters are better than 4. It was certainly used long before that 1961 dictionary reference. Dictionaries never originate language, they merely eventually recognize well established usage. I use the "mic" spelling for the noun as a nod to electronic tradition. But it's just far too ridiculous to spell it that way in a verb form, as in "micing" (adding small rodents, presumably) or "miced."

mic'ed and mic'ing

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Micrófono?

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Ya know...sometimes in an otherwise altered (but rather pleasant) state...I've actually WONDERED about this!!!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

most of us who've written it have wondered.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Lets get Mikey ....... He'll try anything :roll:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Mic, mics, mic'ing, mic'ed.

To quote the gentleman who spent so much time on this, "a final g in English is always hard" - WRONG! He mentions veg, but there's also - in England - reg, the shortened form of registration, especially when talking about car number-plates. Reg is also a soft g in the shortened form of the name Reginald - go ask Reg (Elton John) Dwight! There's also another colloquiallism that springs to mind, but there's no chance of me using that one on a family forum!

I've never particularly liked it when people add a "k" to the shortened form of my name, as often happens - I've never been particularly fond of the name Victor, and have always preferred "Vic." You see a "k" in the word "Victor" anywhere? That's why I don't like "Mike" with a K - there's no K in Microphone!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

I'll come clean. The only reason I have for ever spelling microphone as 'mic' is because I thought it looked cooler and more like muso-dude speak. :oops:

before I came to GN I would have written 'mike' - and indeed both my dictionaries say that 'mike' is the common abbreviation and neither mention 'mic' at all.
That's why I don't like "Mike" with a K - there's no K in Microphone!

Very true, and quite compelling.... except that English pulls that stunt all the time. How many Ss in 'mouses'? None - because it's mice, yet there's no C in mouse. And how did 'we' turn into 'us'??? :? 'I thinked you sayed that' or 'I thought you said that...'. English regularly changes the form and spelling, often to make it easier in some way, sometimes because several forms came down from different contributing languages, and often for no obvious reason at all except that one style apparently just caught on and became the accepted standard.

It doesn't bother me if folks insist on calling bicycles 'bikes' instead of 'bics' either.... :wink:

:note1: :note2: Ridin' along on my pushbic honey... :note1:

In reality I haven't yet had cause to write the word except as a singular 'mic' anyway. If I'm speaking it I don't care how it's written. If I had a problem writing 'miced' or 'miked' then I could rephrase it and talk about using microphones anyway. But I don't mind what anybody else uses - the musical context pretty much always tells you what's meant.

Cheers,

Chris
Exposed as uncool all along.... as if there was ever any doubt.... :)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

It doesn't bother me if folks insist on calling bicycles 'bikes' instead of 'bics' either.... :wink:
LOL!

"Get on your bics and ride!"

:mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Here is the definitative argument.

http://www.sambayer.com/tirades/whymike.html

You gonna share some of that stuff? :lol:

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Here is the definitive argument.

http://www.sambayer.com/tirades/whymike.html

Four reasons it's easy to manage a person with a PhD*:

1. Susceptible to Distraction: If getting bothersome, provide him/her with an esoteric and abstruse, but trivial problem. Will keep her/him occupied for hours, if not days or months (warning: will insist on explaining process of investigation in detail when allegedly done.)

2. Preconditioned for obedience: Used to kissing @ss of dissertation committee, esp chair. A manager can step right into that void.

3. Predicable: Often gets lost between own house and car. But has tendency to circle endlessly. So one generally knows where to find them.

4. Hungry: ... for recognition. Pay? Vacation? Material goods? Not so much. Pay in recognition. You will be rewarded with loyalty, and every once-in-a-while some really cool results.

* As this is about academic types, citations are de rigor. I made it up. All of it. <= That is not a sentence. If I've repeated the works of someone else, even though unintentionally, I would be happy to provide credit, right here ==> X
** How about this: mike looks somewhat wrong. Can't tell you why. It just does. Plus, anyone who's that sure that it must be mike, is probably wrong.
*** I have and have had several PhDs in my department. They do fine work. I'm married to a PhD type . Aliens made me write all the above using coercion via electrified anal probe.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Mic, mics, mic'ing, mic'ed.

To quote the gentleman who spent so much time on this, "a final g in English is always hard" - WRONG! He mentions veg, but there's also - in England - reg, the shortened form of registration, especially when talking about car number-plates. Reg is also a soft g in the shortened form of the name Reginald - go ask Reg (Elton John) Dwight! There's also another colloquiallism that springs to mind, but there's no chance of me using that one on a family forum!

I've never particularly liked it when people add a "k" to the shortened form of my name, as often happens - I've never been particularly fond of the name Victor, and have always preferred "Vic." You see a "k" in the word "Victor" anywhere? That's why I don't like "Mike" with a K - there's no K in Microphone!

:D :D :D

Vic

Wait. You mean you don't pronounce your name as "Vike"? (if Mic= Mike then Vic = Vike else, blue screen)
Sheesh, ya think ya know a guy....

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3