Clear all

Ministar travel guitars?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Has anyone seen these or had a chance to play with one?

I was at one of my local suppliers of "low-cost guitars and things" (that's an official category, isn't it?), and he was just unpacking a Ministar Rokstar guitar.

Interesting look, and weighs almost nothing.
Not that there is much to fit, but the fit-n-finish looked good. The first thing I check on an inexpensive guitar it the sides of the fretboard, and fret ends. This one was clean and smooth.
He hadn't opened the package with the rods and hardware by the time I left, so I couldn't see what it felt like with them on, but it was darn awkward to try and play without them.

He said he was going to price it around $150 (CDN) and see if it sold.
At that price, if it's any good, it could give Traveler some serious competition.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

(@mmoncur)
Estimable Member

I almost bought one of these but decided against it for two reasons:

1. It will be pretty awkward to play (although I haven't tried one in person)

2. It can't get any shorter than it is. (29 inches as I recall) so it was too big to fit in my suitcase easily.

I ended up getting a Hofner Shorty (under $100 on ebay). It's similar to one of the Traveler guitars, but cheaper, and I can un-bolt the neck and pack it as two pieces, making it 7-8 inches shorter than the Ministars.

These are NOT really well made, but with a bit of adjustment, quite playable. I put locking tuners on it and drilled the body for string-thru mounting so it's super easy to install strings after I reassemble it.

ReplyQuote
(@gasbag)
Eminent Member

Ok, I am slow. I admit it. But I looked at that picture for 5 minutes and couldn't figure out how I would hold it standing up or even play it sitting down. Anyone want to explain to an old man with 3 grey cells left how that would be done?

It looks intriguing but all I can think of is to duct tape it to my waist. Well, if I had a waist any longer.... :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

On the acoustic side, I just ordered one of these for my boy:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Washburn-Rover-Travel-Guitar-?sku=511819

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Ok, I am slow. I admit it. But I looked at that picture for 5 minutes and couldn't figure out how I would hold it standing up or even play it sitting down. Anyone want to explain to an old man with 3 grey cells left how that would be done?

It looks intriguing but all I can think of is to duct tape it to my waist. Well, if I had a waist any longer.... :oops:

They say you can rest your picking hand forearm against the square wooden block, but for those of us who lean on the pickguard or bridge, I agree with you.
At least the Traveler has some lumber near the strings that approximates a body. At least enough to lean on.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote