My guitar wall hanger and my stupid cheap wall

24 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

So I had this idea for my room in my new condo, hang the Gibson Les Paul with the AAA flame top 8) in the center of the wall, with a Clapton poster to the left, and a Santana poster to the right (my two main influences) right. So, I get the wallhanger, put it in, hang the guitar up, its there for maybe 3 months, and then I see the screws are starting to tear out of the wall, despite being put into the stud.

Any way around this? Obviously my guitar is not hanging anymore, and I hadn't even gotten around to hanging up the posters. Very annoyed at this cheap place (before being turned into a fairly nice condo complex it was what was referred to as "the projects of Philly) hah! But I mean really...I got angry at something about a month ago, threw a chair at the wall and I put a bloody hole in it. Lame. If a man needs to throw a chair...he should be able to do it without having to have spackle near by I say.

How can I strengthen the wall so I can put my guitar up there? It would have been really cool.

Danke!

Taso

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Cosmo,

How did it come out of the wallif you screwed it into the studs? Sure it was really in the studs.

You can try using those toggle type bolts that have kind of a butterfly that goes through the sheetrock and then opens up and tightens behind the sheetrock.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
 jimh
(@jimh)
Estimable Member

There are also some sheetrock anchors that embed into the sheetrock and then the screws go into them.

Music is the universal language.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I did a Tom Petty a few years ago (like 10), and punched a drywall wall. Except right where I punched, it was a stud so I fractured my right hand pinky knuckle (right were the finger joins the hand). It's my fretting hand (lefty!), and it still aches a little now and then.

So...maybe find the stud in the wall, or just do as others have said.

Me? I'd never hang a guitar from a wall; I live in Los Angeles, and we get quakes every now and then. ;)

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I am pretty damn sure it went into a stud, I used a stud finder and everything, ya know babs?

I like the idea of this butterfly thing, will have to head to home depot today so I can ask one of their employees about it, get the wrong answer, get sent to the wrong aisle, ask someone else, get sent to the otherside of the store, buy some powertools I don't need, leave, realize I didn't get the butterfly thing, go back, buy it, come home and see if it works.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I'm sure some of the ladies would confirm that stud finders aren't very reliable.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

cosmo,

I think you'd know if you nailed it into a stud. If you can pull the nail out with your fingers then you probably didn't hit the stud.

You can try what jimh mentioned the anchors. They are usually a plastic type insert that you'd bang into the sheetrock and then screw into that, but I never had great luck with those except for the ones I used for concrete walls. But since yor only hanging a guitar they should be fine.

The butterfly type I described will require a slightly larger hole since the two wings have to fit through the sheetrock and then they open up behind it.

By the way I didn't know you were in Philly thought you were in NYC, where are you going to school?

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Cosmo,

Check your email I sent you a picture of the type of fastener jimh was talking about, they didn't have a good picture of the kind I discribed but these should work fine for what you need it for.

The fastener on the left expands as you screw it in the hoder and the little fingers spread out against the back side of the wall.

ReplyQuote
 jimh
(@jimh)
Estimable Member

cosmo,

I think you'd know if you nailed it into a stud. If you can pull the nail out with your fingers then you probably didn't hit the stud.

You can try what jimh mentioned the anchors. They are usually a plastic type insert that you'd bang into the sheetrock and then screw into that, but I never had great luck with those except for the ones I used for concrete walls. But since yor only hanging a guitar they should be fine.

The butterfly type I described will require a slightly larger hole since the two wings have to fit through the sheetrock and then they open up behind it.

By the way I didn't know you were in Philly thought you were in NYC, where are you going to school?

The ones I'm talking about are even better. They look like giant screws with a starter blade on the end. You tap it in with a hammer, then use a phillips screw driver to mount it the rest of the way in. Once it's in the wall, the center hole can be screwed into. The screws come with the anchors. here is a picture:

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

jimh,

I sent him some pictures of the ones you described and your right they probably are better for what he's using them for.

ReplyQuote
 jimh
(@jimh)
Estimable Member

jimh,

I sent him some pictures of the ones you described and your right they probably are better for what he's using them for.

I've hung some pretty heavy stuff from these things, they're very strong. There are plastic-bodied ones that are rated to 30 lbs and light metal ones that are rated to 50 lbs. I have both types in use and they can handle more than they're rated for...

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I got this at a home center for $1.69. Its a tool hanger, I keep most of my axes on the wall, never drooped one yet and they AIN,t coming out of the stud. :twisted:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
 jimh
(@jimh)
Estimable Member

I got this at a home center for $1.69. Its a tool hanger, I keep most of my axes on the wall, never drooped one yet and they AIN,t coming out of the stud. :twisted:

nice Collection...

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Lame. If a man needs to throw a chair...he should be able to do it without having to have spackle near by I say.

:mrgreen:

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

thanks for all the info guys. When I have soem time I'll head down to home depot and check it all out.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2