Clear all

My X-Mas Present to all You Beginners!

20 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I need to get a bunch of those for my second graders. Their fingers just do not want to do chords. But then again I would want them to get dependent on the EZ chord thing either. I would just use them until their fingers grew bigger.

Catherinee, I've had students as young as four - with little kids, I start with one finger chords. With xxx010 as a C chord and xxx001 for G7, they can be playing simple songs right away, and developing the motor skills to move from string to string.

Sorry for jacking this thread for a moment, but...

Noteboat, you never cease to amaze me. I probably owe you for on line lessons as much as I've learned from your posts.

I'm so glad you are a member here. 8)

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Wow, imagine someone learning to play only with an e-bow! :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@catherinee)
Eminent Member

Thanks Noteboat - I could have the kids do the chords with one finger. I have seen little kid books that have lots of chords with one finger but never used them. I have just been teaching them songs that didn't involve chords. This is only my second year teaching guitar at a school so I still have much to learn.

ReplyQuote
(@catherinee)
Eminent Member

Thanks greybeard - The ebow looks like it would solve the problem. I will ask the school if they will buy it for her.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Hey!
I've got one of those things around here somewhere.
My brother got it for me as a gag gift somewhere over 10 years ago.

At the time they were being sold on late night TV commercials, and came with poorly photocopied instruction sheets.

I tried it a couple of times, then went back to struggling with my own fingers.
I think I used it more as a capo (installed backwards) than for it's intended purpose.

Hmmm. I wonder where that thing is...

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2