Clear all

New Amp Day! Opinions? VIDEO ADDED!

37 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I posted here instead of "Live Sound" because most everything there is about peoples problems and broken amps. I'm looking for opinions. Here is what I ordered yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV2oeMLKPwQ

When I use my SansAmp pedal, it is on the Brittish (AKA Marshall) setting. My Peavey VYPYR ...... the Plexi setting. I have owned a few Marshalls over the years and I liked them. I like Marshall tone. Problem is right now they are very expensive. Like $1500 -$2000 unless you get one of their new "cheapie" amps for $700 - $800. Yeah, I know, shouldn't have parted with them. I had heard these Peavey Windsor amps sounded bad. Then I came across this demo. Doesn't sound bad to me. They are on clearance right now for $299. :shock:

Check out this "Pepsi Challenge" video. They A B it wit a real vintage Marshall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouuR4qwUnaE

So .... What does everyone think? I should have it by the end of the week.

Oh .... gonna use my Fender 4X12 cab. Could have gotten a Peavey Valve King cab for and extra $200 but I already have the Fender so thought I'd save a few bucks.

Here is my demo video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDWhlrtUVL0

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

(@apache)
Reputable Member

Yeah! that looks fab!

HNAD!

:D :D

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

So .... What does everyone think? I should have it by the end of the week.

Oh .... gonna use my Fender 4X12 cab. Could have gotten a Peavey Valve King cab for and extra $200 but I already have the Fender so thought I'd save a few bucks.

I feel that Peavey is one of the most sadly under rated equipment manufacturers out there for live use. My big amp (a.k.a Ampzilla) is a Peavey Classic Duel 212, and it kinda typifies the characteristics of every piece of Peavey equipment I've owned. It's built like a tank, and it's got a unique sonic signature that's NOT Fender, Marshall or Vox, but once accepted for what it is, turns out to be extremely versatile for performing. The only reason I no longer gig it is that I can't pick it up without doing permanent damage to my body anymore. She weighs close to 100 pounds.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I own and have owned lots of Peavey stuff and never been dissapointed. 100lb ... WOW! I hear you there Moonie. I used to have a 2 X 12 Peavey Srereo Chorus that was solid state and it weighted a ton. I'm assuming being a classic yours is tube so even heavier.

I'm not sure how much I need this big head but I do have a cab for it. My Epiphone Valve Junior half stack works good in our man cave and I mic it up. I have a Peavey Classic 30 as well as my 75 watt Peavey VYPYR modeling amp. I don't own a real big boy though. We aren't planning to play any stadiums for a few weeks :roll: but in the video the guy seemed to be getting good sound out of it and was sitting right in front of it without feeding back. I think I will be able to use it in our man cave and being 100 watts the sky would be the limit.

Apache .... I'm sure there will be a video!

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Wow TR I was looking at those myself the other day. I'm getting really tired of the Hot Rod and used to have a small Peavey that I liked.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well, in a few days I'll let you know what I think Chris. Video to come as well I suppose. I already have tracking information. It just hasn't given me an ETA yet.

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

My Epiphone Valve Junior half stack works good in our man cave and I mic it up.

Try different 12A*7 tubes in the preamp section of the VJ. It changes the amount of gain, and will totally change the character of the amp. It's a fun "mod" that only takes a minute to do.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Opinions? My opinion is you should bring it over to my place for a jam! (Regrettably not likely, as I'm maybe 12 time zones away from your place- but I have really been wanting to try the Windsors.)

I'm also into "British" tone, and have really been GASing for one of these- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnHgw1jKI7k (Vox AC4TV, if you don't have time to follow the link...)

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Yeah but I got "The Man Cave" so you need to come here! Bring a drummer ...... we got a kit sitting here. PA as well. :lol:

Going to listen to that right now.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Cool little amp! Hey! My Windsor will be here by the end of the day Thursday! :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Lemme see what I'm doing this weekend...maybe not gonna make it. Oh well.

I've just seem those windsors in the shop here- problem is, imported gear has heavy import costs- ups the price a LOT. (Like, Marshall class 5 for $800!)

For some reason, though, Vox seems to import easier. Can buy that little one for $280, which is a steal compared to most things round here.

BEst,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Interesting ....... the stuff probably goes from China to the states then back over to Korea. :lol:

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Interesting ....... the stuff probably goes from China to the states then back over to Korea.

A lot of things do that. Even if, by some miracle of fate and good sense, it were to come here directly...import tax is not low. On anything. It seems to vary with country of origin, though, with some things getting hit a LOT worse than others...

Can't wait to hear samples from your windsor..

Ande

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I can't wait to hear the tones you get. Very nice score from what I hear. I've never played to them, to I dunno personally. Anyhow, congrats! :D :D

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I can't wait to hear the tones you get. Very nice score from what I hear. I've never played to them, to I dunno personally. Anyhow, congrats! :D :D
Lots of reviews say it doesn't do "metal" but will do a great Sabbath sound. Huh? :lol: The way I see it, if something was called heavey metal, then something new comes along ........ the something new should have to get the new name! :evil: It is supposed to be a 60's & 70's classic rock machine. We will see tomorrow when it gets here. :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3