Notifications
Clear all

Technical with Screenplay Dialog

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@dreamsong)
Topic starter  

I'm writing a screenplay called Dream Song. It's about a technically gifted guitarist and music student, Eli Morgan; however, his music lacks depth, passion or feeling. His problem is he never takes the time to probe his feelings to express them in his music because he gets easily distracted and is constantly multitasking. In the opening scene, he plays an amazing blazing electric guitar solo in front of the class and the professor ridicules him – “Nice sizzle, Mr. Morgan, but where's the steak?”
As the scene plays out, Eli and his professor get into a heated discussion after class because the professor threatens to pull Eli's scholarship. Eli fires back – “Do you know how hard that was to play?” and the professor says, “Yes, that's why I teach.” As the professor turns to walk away he says (this is where I need your expertise), ”Simply stringing together (insert the series of scales that sound good together) has all the depth of spilled milk. You need to start digging your own deep well.”
Thanks for any help you can provide. - Peter

(@alangreen)

I presume Guitarnoise.com will get a cut of the profits?

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

the professor sounds like he should be fired. what kind of jerk would belittle and threaten to take away some freshman's scholarship because he doesn't think the kid plays with "feeling"? is everyone else in the class mozart or something? it's ridiculous, and people that think it's ok to act that should not be allowed to be in positions of power.
i've taught, and the knowledge that there are people like that out there makes me so incredibly angry. teaching is difficult and full of subtleties, and that caricatured bs is a sign of a stupid and lazy mind and a teacher who will ruin futures.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

technique is technique. it is physical. one can achieve levels of expertise using technique.
it must be emphasized that technique is a 'tool' . an implement or device used to create something, in this case, intangible.
music is intangible. its here and gone when played. it is non physical. the teacher teaches more than technique. he teaches how to use the skill to create art; which has the transcendence humans experience and appreciate.
as you wrote, mere technical shredding is meaningless. it does not elevate nor allow transcendence.
a good story needs an antagonist and a hero. which character is which is up to you.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote