Notifications
Clear all

New Amp Day! Opinions? VIDEO ADDED!

37 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Re the Jet City: I love it. I don't know if it can do what either of you play mostly, but I think it's designed a lot more for that than how I use it.

Having seperate Master and Volume controls is awesome. The speaker is 12". You can get a big sound. I just have not done enough real Rock guitar playing to tell how it sounds doing Classic heavy metal or anything. Not enough to formulate a reliable opinion. I'm afraid I'm a pretty poor source for intel on this one.

RE the ME-70: I hope you enjoy it. I'll be really curious to hear if you come up with a tone you like and how you acomplished it. There's a Marshall emulator. It's one out of 6 or 7 pre-amp emulations that it has.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I was looking at just the 20W head for the Jet City but since I'm gonna pick up the ME-70 that will have to wait for awhile.

As for the ME-70 I'm a bit scared about what to expect. I mean you guys know I've never been really happy with the sound I get out of the Hot Rod with the limited pedals I have and the ME-70 is just a bunch of pedals all in one so I hope I do get a good sound.

95% of all the reviews on the ME-70 are great but I went and looked up old reviews about the Johnson J-Station and those for the most part were good and I have one and I never got a repeatble decent sound out of it. It might be OK for recording but I don't do any of that so that's not even on my must do list.

I still haven't done the rebiasing of the amp although I did check the tubes the other day and one power tube was not seated properly but I doubt that had any effect on the tone.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I wish we were close enough in proximity for you to try mine out.

As far as the ME-70, it's a subset of the GT-10 (or GT-8 or GT-6). That's good and bad. Good due to less to have to learn and you get the same basic sound engine. Bad due to less you have available. The EZ-Tone feature is neat, but after you backwards engineer a few, you'll probably want to build your own patches from scratch. The GUI on the 10 is great. You can see exactly what is set to what parameters. The others without that GUI rely on you twisting a knob in a direction. That changes the tone, and you don't know what it was set at. It's pretty much a pet-peive of mine. It's what I hated the most on my GT-6. The knob for whatever might be pointing somewhere, but it doesn't reflect rality until you move it. Then what the knob points to is reality, but only then. don't save the patch change, go to another patch and come back and the patch you adjusted no longer has the adjusted value. It retained the last saved value. With the Gt-10, you get a complete readout. You just have to scroll to find the setting. No adjusting to see where something is.

If the GT-10 is out of the question, then another alternative is getting a used Gt-8. Same COSM, pretty much. You can easily restore factory defaults and start fresh. Should come in about the same as the ME-70. At least down here, anyhow.

One other thing I might mention: smokindog got him a Vox tonelab ST. He's always had good tone, so I imagine him to be more seasoned or particular when looking at these things. They run $200 and have 33 pre-amps as opposed to the 7 or so the ME-70 has. I bet you could PM him and get a big time fill in from someone you know and trust. I'm just a hack who likes toys.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I think the GT-10 is a bit overkill for me. It's not so much that I need a hundred effects I just want to find a few that actually work. Of the few people I actually know that use the ME-70 two being my instructor and his son, none of them use the patches all of them use it in the manual mode so you can tweak like a regular analog pedal and for them that's exactly why they said they bought it they want to be able to tweak them.

I'm sure The Dog would help me but I'm afraid he will tell me the same things I read about any other multi FX's. He found a great tone and loves it, unfortunately that might not be the same for me.

Before I get paralysis from analysis checking all the different types I'm going with the ME-70 and take my lumps if I can't get a decent tone, I'll bring my amp over to my instructors house and see if he can. If he can't, then I know I've got a problem with the amp and will need to look into it.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I had forgotten the instructor factor. That makes a world of difference. I don't think I'd change plans in light of having that as a resource. I'll watch the boards for the outcome. :)

Roy

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

At the end of the day I'm sure most of the problem is me and my inability to dial in the sound I hear in my head. Alot of times though when I thought I had a decent sound playing by myself or along with a CD is that when i used the same settings in a live situation with other players it usually sounded like crap.

Byt he way you never told me what kind of pooch Pokie is..some kind of hound"?

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Pokie is a rescue, so no one knows for sure. The Vet and the SPCA (who, thankfully, dropped the charges against me for spanking my monkey) both suggest that she's part hound of some sort and part Doberman. She follows some of the doberman loyalty traits to a "T".

I didn't see replies in that other thread till just now. I'll go there with a <ahem> much more mod-friendly version. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Roy

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3