Notifications
Clear all

New Band Name anyone?

62 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

take a line from a song that you all like or a band, both 'death cab for cutie' and 'panic! at the disco' were taking from a line out of beatles songs...(Apparently)

other than that call yourselves 'the floaters'

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE :P

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Ooooh! Ooooooooh! I got it. You've inspired me. One opf those names that's not so much a pronoun as it is an act of doing something. "Poking The Floaters"

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

you could be a country band and have your first hit single 'the ol' log cabin' :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

take a line from a song that you all like or a band, both 'death cab for cutie' and 'panic! at the disco' were taking from a line out of beatles songs...(Apparently)

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE :P

panic took their name from a morrissey song. don't ask me how I know this. I think they (or fall out boy, they al look the same to me) were doing an "our fave morrissey vids" thing on mtv or similar which I watched due to not knowing much morrissey stuff. anyway, they're from one of his tunes.

no idea about death cab for cutie, though.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@rob77)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Can't see many people going to see a band with a poo-related name... I can see the comments now - "those guys were $h!t" etc :roll:

Latest idea is "The Fringe of Niche" ...kinda describes our style. Whaddyarekon?

"Who says you can't 'dive bomb' a bigsby?!"

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Latest idea is "The Fringe of Niche" ...kinda describes our style. Whaddyarekon?

I am not understanding which style is 'fringe of niche'. But very well, if it works out for you.

However, I would have preferred to name it as 'The Refrigerators'. Now thats simple and COOL (No kidding).

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

I dunno....
Kinda how-a-bout "The Fringe of Nietzsche"....
Now THAT; I like! :twisted:

Ken

or maybe "Add E T Z S"

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I am now reminded, for whatever reason, of a thread from last year after my wife took a go at the skins and our son was bashing out a baseline to back my horrible Keith Richards imitations. To make a long story short, I decided that I wanted to be front man (for the entourages) and that the band name had to reflect my greatness. Hence, the name Rash-Daddy Roy and the Scratchers.

Wife and son never agreed to it. :shock:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

I dunno....
Now THAT; I like! :twisted:

Ken

+10 that is a v. v. v. kewl name.

only bettered by "Nietzsche's Fringe" or "Nietzsche's Moustache"

8)

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

CitiZenNoir wrote:
I dunno....
Now THAT; I like!

yup. i like it!

BUT to me...the name reminds of of math metal...

(youtube 'fall of troy' if you dont know the genre)

ReplyQuote
(@rob77)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

OK, I'm ignorant. Who is Nietzsche?
The fringe of Niche is best described as being on the the edge of something special.
I really like "the refrigerators", but it's taken.

"Who says you can't 'dive bomb' a bigsby?!"

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

OK, I'm ignorant. Who is Nietzsche?
The fringe of Niche is best described as being on the the edge of something special.
I really like "the refrigerators", but it's taken.

Nietzsche is some dude from the 19th century who made it big in the phillosophy business. I'm not much into that whole scene, so others could tell you more, I'm sure.

I'm not sure I can connect "being on the edge of something special" and "The Fringe of Niche". I might be limiting my use of the word "Niche" to it's use in Marketing/business. Niche is a subset of a larger object that you happen to be excelling at. May not be where you wanted to be though, so the word "special" to describe the niche is making an assumption......which brings us back to Marketing and how we got stuck in that niche in the first place. :? :?

OK, I'll never do painmeds on an empty stomach again. My apoligies. :lol:

So, for a band name that is best described as being on the edge of something special, perhaps an alternative to Niche? Maybe "The Fringe Of Enlightenment", or "The Fringe Of Contentment", or something like that.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Yup, Nietzsche also contracted syphillis and was an odd (but brilliant, not always for the right reasons) guy.

He wrote The Birth of Tragedy (Out of the Spirit Of Music), a short aesthetic text regarding the Apollonian/Dionysian dichotomy in 'art' generally which is well worth reading and very short.

He also wrote Beyond Good And Evil and The Geneaology of Morals, which first (to my knowledge) outline the idea of the Ubermansch, the Superman, who by force of will is beyond morality. From this, the Nazi's drew a lot of inspiration and progpoganda/justification for what they did. Nietzsche was not a Nazi. That's a common misperception. And they did distort his work for their own ends (and partly becauuse he was a key German intellectual). He was very patriotic, but not more so than any other writer/intellectual of the period.

Choosing that name makes you seem edgy and intellectual and will go down well with the university crowd which is key to much of the non-pop-music music scene. It also makes you seem rebellious and raffish, and can be used to draw and intellectual-link between your band and The Doors (if you like that sort of thing).

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I think that is an awsome name, esp after Scrybes incredible information about it.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

I like The Fringe of Nietzsche but to me it sounds like you are a young, alternative/punk type band. If you are a bunch of older guys that play rock and blues stuff, I don't think it fits.

So far, my favorite is No Bad Blood.
I have also been playing with the band name generator and my favorites from there are Tight Lightning and Grasping Classic.

Of course, you can feel free use the band name I came up with in Chemistry class one day: Eddie Electron and the Negative Charges. :lol:

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 5